Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blondebombshell

In Place Of Eggs

looking for ideas other than an 'egg powder replacer'

thanks!

- gluten free since August 2007

- endoscopy came back negative for celiac in December 2007

- bloodwork confirms egg allergy

- allergy testing confirms only banana, apple, melon, egg and environmental allergies

i get hives anywhere on my waist down and less bloating/constipation when i do not eat wheat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It depends upon the recipe. To most mixes I use two tablespoons of flax meal and add water to 1/3 cup to replace two large eggs. In other recipes from scratch, I might use 1/2 cup of soft silken tofu. Both of these have worked well depending upon the recipe.

My favorite new recipe book for gluten-free, Casein-free, & egg-free is "Cooking Free" by Carol Fenster. It has some really great recipes! Kristin

I usually substitute eggs with this: 1 1/2T water, 1 1/2T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder mixed together = 1 egg. You can double for up to two eggs. After that it doesn't work so well.

I also have done 1/4 cup applesauce = 1 egg in quick breads and a cookie recipe that I have.

I''d like to try the flax recipe sometime though.

I'm not a fan of the boxed egg replacer.

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

My daughter, the vegan uses mashed banana or apple sauce to replace eggs in some recipes, like brownies or quick breads. She uses mashed avocado or silken tofu in some savory dishes like lentil loaf. I like the idea of ground flax meal and water--it's sooOOOooo healthy!

good luck,

Susanna

Diagnosed in March 2006 by blood test and biopsy. Eleven year old son diagnosed in May 2006. Both gluten-free since diagnosis.

The Susanna (Flagstaff, AZ)

"I GOTTA have more cowbell!."

--The legendary Bruce Dickenson

We use duck eggs!

You have to see if you're sensitive to them first, but I can't remember why ppl are allergic to chicken eggs but can have duck ones...

My whole fam is allergic and it's a relief to be able to use duck eggs! ^_^

Whole family is allergic to Gluten, eggs, dairy, most are allergic to garlic. Few other various allergies.

Did you know it's best to wait until 21 months to give a baby wheat??

We use duck eggs!

You have to see if you're sensitive to them first, but I can't remember why ppl are allergic to chicken eggs but can have duck ones...

My whole fam is allergic and it's a relief to be able to use duck eggs! ^_^

Yes, do test them first. I found out that they were as bad as chicken eggs for me.

Positive IgA-gluten in 2004

Positive IgG-gluten in 2008

Gluten intolerance

Egg allergy