This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Peeling Skin?

Babs67

Babs67 Newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for the results of my antibodies test to find out if I have celiac disease. I have hypothyroidism (also waiting to find out if it is Hashi's) and PCOS. I found a great endo who decided to test me for celiac disease based on the PCOS and Hypo dx.

I've been reading the symptoms and seem to have some of them. When I was growing up, my teeth came in either missing enamel or with holes in them. I have fillings in almost every single tooth. I am always bloated, chronic constipation - I never had a flat tummy no matter how much weight I'd lose.

I have really dry skin on my hands and cuticles. My cuticles are always torn and swollen no matter how much I moisturize them. I also get little patches on my hands of peeling skin. The oddest thing is the skin on my right foot. I have really bad peeling and cracking skin, my toenails are pitted and have white spots. I've been checked for fungus - and it isn't that. But it only affects my right foot. I occasionally have itchy spots between my toes and little blisters of clear liquid.

I know this is minor compared to other symptoms, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similiar issues with just one foot.

Thanks - glad to have found you all!

Beth

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

curlyfries Contributor

I've never really had to deal with dry skin---I'm definitely oily. I've always said I'm still going thru puberty :D I'm going to go straight from puberty to menopause :rolleyes: ( I'm 49) But I've noticed in the last couple of days that the bottom of my right foot is peeling quite a lot---big pieces near the heel. I don't have any blisters and definitely no athletes foot. Are you sure you don't have athletes foot? Little blisters is usually a symptom. Anyway, I'm curious what response you get bacause mine has got me baffled.

Lisa

MelliDuff Rookie
Hi everyone,

I'm waiting for the results of my antibodies test to find out if I have celiac disease. I have hypothyroidism (also waiting to find out if it is Hashi's) and PCOS. I found a great endo who decided to test me for celiac disease based on the PCOS and Hypo dx.

I've been reading the symptoms and seem to have some of them. When I was growing up, my teeth came in either missing enamel or with holes in them. I have fillings in almost every single tooth. I am always bloated, chronic constipation - I never had a flat tummy no matter how much weight I'd lose.

I have really dry skin on my hands and cuticles. My cuticles are always torn and swollen no matter how much I moisturize them. I also get little patches on my hands of peeling skin. The oddest thing is the skin on my right foot. I have really bad peeling and cracking skin, my toenails are pitted and have white spots. I've been checked for fungus - and it isn't that. But it only affects my right foot. I occasionally have itchy spots between my toes and little blisters of clear liquid.

I know this is minor compared to other symptoms, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similiar issues with just one foot.

Thanks - glad to have found you all!

Beth

Hi Beth,

I know what you are talking about ;) I have the same blisters they itch...(like crazy) on my feet sometimes. I have the same cuticle problems (my entire life) and my skin is so dry if I don't use moisturizer everyday it gets super itchy and flaky. I have the foot/nail thing on both feet. I thought the white spots might be due to calcium deposits that my body is not utilizing properly (so it kicks it out in my nails my kidneys too). My nails on my hands and feet are pitted they always have been - that is a sign of a thyroid problem, also if you have cracking skin on the heals of your feet. I have Hypothyroid and Hash. Since going on a gluten free diet I have been feeling about 75% better. I have other issues that are preventing me from healing 100%.

Since going on the gluten free diet - about 2 months now - I have experienced the peeling on my hand, just the right one. I do remember being younger and having the peeling on either hand mostly between my fingers. I have been constipated since i was 4, my mom used to have to give me suppositories (gross i know but memorable) You should defiantly try going gluten free and see if it helps - It has not seemed to help my constipation issues thus far. I gave up dairy and gluten to try and help that - nothing has worked - I have a colostopy scheduled by a GI partially to get a diagnosis on celiac (i will remain gluten free regardless of the result of the biopsy(s))and partially to find out why I can't pooh. The only thing that helps me go is drinking an entire bottle of magnisuim citrate - you can get it at Ekards or Wallgreens (in the states). It comes in a small bottle and it's carbonated but not completely unbearable. Once you get cleared out from that you can try taking something called Miralax daily to keep you regular, it is also sold over the counter. I have not had any successes with "fiber" it only makes the problem worse. You may want to cut out dairy as I have heard this works but personally have not seen the benefits from it.

I hope this helps you can mail me or im me if you want to talk :)

Good luck and hang in there! :blink:

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I dont get that specific problem with the skin, but I do get very itchy and dry. Its wierd b/ci eat gluten and not too much longer later I feel random spots all over my body get itchy. its almost like the feeling of a bug biting you and you have to scratch. I dunno if this is related to gluten, but after the eliminatio diet and then going back on, the onlt time it happens is after gluten.

lizard00 Enthusiast

I am waiting to hear from my doc about some bloodwork done a week ago, but I am pretty sure I have hypothyroidism. I've read a lot of different articles correlating Celiac and hypothyroidism; either just a low working thyroid or an autoimmune thyroid disease, with the autoimmune being more common.

The ironic thing is, my breaking point was when I woke up tired, could make it through work, but had to immediately crash when I got home. This is not so good with a 2 yr old. When I eliminated gluten, I got worlds better. I am still battling the fatigue, but I don't wake up tired anymore, and I can make it through some days without a nap. So for me, I definitely believe the two were related.

On to the topic: I have REALLY dry skin on my face and hands. My face is always broken out too, and I have to be sooo careful with what I put on it. My hands are always dry too, and my cuticles are always cracked and peeling, and the skin around my finger tips is the same. If I put lotion on my hands EVERY time I wash them and then some extras, it's a little better. But even that has gotten better since going gluten-free. I just wish my face would...

I was never officially dx'd with Celiac, but I saw a different doc last week, and after I told her the before and after, she thinks that it's a pretty good possibility. I also have a family history of gluten intolerance (no one will get tested) and hypothyroidism.

babysteps Contributor

Also have dry, thick skin, esp feet and hands and dry, cracked nails (esp on toes). get itchy bumps on fingers of rt hand sometimes, as child was told "it's probably a fungus but we can't confirm that" - when it clears, is all scaley

gluten-free does help (including gluten-free and fragrance free soap etc - I have always been sensitive to fragrance)

also

- I use fragrance-free hand lotion each time I wash (and dry) my hands - just a tiny bit makes a huge difference

- I use a nail 'buffer' on my finger cuticles (mostly the 'hang nail' parts) a couple times a week (lightly wet the coarsest side of the buffer, I use on dry hands) - otherwise my cuticles get really hard, and almost like they're trying to grow into little horns, then if I try to remove them I end up cutting myself...ouch

- I use the coarse side of a 'foot file' (plastic, has a hard scratchy black file surface) on the soles of my feet every night (started 4 months ago, thought at first I was just going through initial exfoliation, but I get plenty of skin every day) - with a few drops of water on the file, once I reach the right moisture on the file the skin comes right off

- I put gluten-free fragrance free lotion or gluten-free vit e oil on my toenails just before I go to bed at night, and just after I shower in the morning. also gluten-free fr fr lotion on feet at same time

gosh, that seems like a lot - but actually each step takes less than a minute, maybe a total of 5 minutes in my entire day if I dawdle, and my skin is *much* more pleasant than it used to be. Even had a foot-rub the other day and aesthetician said, 'gee, your feet are already soft' - wow, that never happened before. The first time I used a buffer, though, I took more time -- and skin ;)

mamaw Community Regular

My Dad used to get this & he was dx'd with psorisis

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived