Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

momof2

Quaker Puffed Rice Cereal

I recently bought a box of this for my daughter, and nothing on the label indicates that it has gluten. Now, under the ingredients list, it says, "may contain traces of wheat." Now, does the company just post that, so it can cover its butt, or should we stay away from it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've heard companies say that because they puff the grain in a facility that puffs other grains, so there could be a cross contamination issue. Yes, they're covering their butts, but for a good reason... Doesn't really help us figure out if we can have it, but it's the best they do.

I know that this is really old, but i recently called Quaker company and they told me that none of their products can be considered gluten-free because of cross contamination. Sorry this is about 3 months late!

Guest Viola

I used to use Quakers puffed rice a few years ago. At the time it said 100% rice. They started saying 'may contain wheat' when I and several other people found one or more puffed wheat pieces in the bag. It can be contaminated. I've actually seen it ... however it was only the one bag out of a few years of use. But still, I've never used it since :o:rolleyes: