This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Needs Ideas On How To Gain Weight

feedmykids

feedmykids Rookie

My DD is just soo skinny - She has never really even made it on the weight charts. Most of the time she is just very thin, but when she goes through a growth spurt (like right now) her body just can't keep up and you can see every rib from the front back. :( There is soo much she can't have that are good fats or filling foods because of her allergies to GLuten, Dairy, Egg, and TOmato. The DOctor want us to give her more potato chips and sugary foods. But, I have a hard time just stuffing her full of salt and sugar. :blink: ANy other ideas for some safe healthy fats or filling foods I could try?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shayesmom Rookie
My DD is just soo skinny - She has never really even made it on the weight charts. Most of the time she is just very thin, but when she goes through a growth spurt (like right now) her body just can't keep up and you can see every rib from the front back. :( There is soo much she can't have that are good fats or filling foods because of her allergies to GLuten, Dairy, Egg, and TOmato. The DOctor want us to give her more potato chips and sugary foods. But, I have a hard time just stuffing her full of salt and sugar. :blink: ANy other ideas for some safe healthy fats or filling foods I could try?

Replacing milk in baked goods with coconut milk would help (you can also add this to smoothies but be careful as to how much you use per day as coconut milk is a natural laxative).

Avocado is a good source of fat and some kids like it in guacamole and my niece loves it mashed with banana.

I'd use coconut oil to "fry" things in.

gluten-free pastas may help. In lieu of tomato sauce, there are substitute recipes that use a combination of beets and pumpkin which are good. I also make an alfredo sauce using ground cashews that contains healthier fats and is gluten/dairy/egg/tomato-free. I can post the recipe if you'd like.

Also, I use ground cashews to make "cheese" and even yogurt. Blending coconut milk with blueberries also gives a yogurt-like snack.

Organic bacon may also be an option. And you can also fry up a rice tortilla in coconut oil until crisp and sprinkle with brewer's yeast for a healthier snack.

Sunbutter in lieu of peanut butter is a decent option (it's made from sunflower seeds and tastes a lot like peanut butter. My dd loves this with sliced apples and a bit of black raspberry jam.

I'm sorry, but your doctor's suggestion of potato chips and sugary snack is more than a bit counterproductive in the grand scheme of things. Hydrogenated oils and sugar are about the last thing that are going to get your dd well. In fact, they'd just create more problems for her in the long run. celiac disease causes an issue where fats aren't being absorbed. As she heals, that will rectify many of the problems and she will start gaining weight without stuffing her full of junk foods. It takes time, but if you're patient, it will work itself out.

feedmykids Rookie

Thank you Shayesmom! I would love the recipes! Do you know what brand of cashews I can get that isn't "peanut contaminated?" :D WE do have sunbutter! I will use more coconut milk (but not too much),Avocado, etc... I wish I could just fire my Ped. and get a new one, unfortuallty there is only one Ped. office here in our small town, the next one is 2 hours away. WE really only go in when neccessary because of her lack of good judgement. :angry:

shayesmom Rookie
Thank you Shayesmom! I would love the recipes! Do you know what brand of cashews I can get that isn't "peanut contaminated?" :D WE do have sunbutter! I will use more coconut milk (but not too much),Avocado, etc... I wish I could just fire my Ped. and get a new one, unfortuallty there is only one Ped. office here in our small town, the next one is 2 hours away. WE really only go in when neccessary because of her lack of good judgement. :angry:

I have no clue what to tell you on a "clean" source of raw cashews. Hopefully, someone on here will know. If not, I'll try looking around. Also, things like homemade hummus with veggies or veggie chips may go over quite well.

Here's my recipe for Dairy-free alfredo sauce:

2 cups Pacific organic, free-range chicken broth (or similar)

1 TBSP McCormick California-Style Garlic Salt (or organic garlic salt with parsley if corn allergies are present)

1/4 tsp. black pepper

1/4 cup Vegenaise

1/2 cup + 1 TBSP of finely ground cashews (I grind mine in my coffee mill)

3/4 cup cold water

2 TBSP cornstarch

Dash of oregano

Combine broth, garlic salt, pepper, vegenaise, cashew meal and oregano in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Mix thoroughly until well blended. In a separate small bowl, mix water and cornstarch and stir until cornstarch well blended. Pour cornstarch mix into saucepan and bring sauce to a boil while stirring constantly. Reduce heat to a simmer. When sauce thickens to desired consistency, remove from heat and mix into pasta. You may want to add more garlic salt, black pepper and oregano to taste.

I've been using a recipe for "cheese" that was posted here about a year ago.

Sliceable Cashew Cheese From Five Loaves Deli & Bakery by Neva Brackett

2 cups cashew nuts

3/8 cup emes kosher gel (I

Archived