Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest bubbles99

Lower Back Pain?

Guest bubbles99

Hello,

I've been recently suffering from lower back pain, while my symptoms of loose stools, gas, has been acting up. Does anyone else suffer from lower back pain with this disease? I'm only 23 years old, so I don't suffer from back pain often, but it seems to happen when my celiac symptoms worsen after I "cheat" or accidentally eat something I shouldn't have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I highly recommend not cheating. I used to get low back pain a lot, but since going gluten free I don't get it very often. Sometimes during my menstrual cycle I do get sore, but I just figure it is from the cramping.

I think when you are having symptoms from consuming gluten it could be that your intestines are irritated enough to cause some discomfort in the low back. If the pain is severe, or prolonged, then I would go see a doctor about it.

God bless,

Mariann

I used to be on pain meds daily for my back and hip pain..... since going gluten-free have been able to use the meds on a PRN basis. I noticed that when I had an accident with something I shouldnt have eaten the back pain was back. My Dr thinks its the reaction in my intestines causing the pain. I would run it by your Dr and get their advice. Pain can indicate many things and its best to get it checked out to make sure its not being caused by something else. ;)

I also started getting lower back pain especially right before and during my "monthly cycle" but have also noticed that it occurs when I have eaten something containg gluten. I did check with my doctor and he explained that when I am eating gluten the gas that is created, expands the intestine thus putting pressure on the surrounding nerves. Makes perfect sense to me since I instantly feel gassy after such episodes.

I also suffer from TMJ and and a bad knee and they seem to be sore most days especially when it is cold or damp, I know once I manage to stay completely gluten-free this is supposed to get better.

-Sarah

The oddest thing to me is: I started suffering from all of these symptoms only AFTER I went gluten-free.

I never had bad back pain until I started my gluten-free diet. Go figure.