Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pixiegirl

Making Chocolate Candy

I bought a bunch of Enjoy Life semi sweet morsels. My daughter and I have to be gluten-free and nut free and they are both.

I want to melt them down and pour them over raisins or coconut and make some candy for us. But when I melt them they feel a little grainy.

What do you add to melted chocolate to make it into a smooth candy? Cream, oil, ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Coconut oil or butter work for me.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It probably needs to be tempered. If I use tempered chocolate I tend not to get the grainy texture, but it can also depend on the quality of the chocolate. You could try to temper it yourself or add a little bit of fat (oil etc...) to see if that helps.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

To get a smooth texture, you probably need to temper--

http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Tempering-Chocolate/Detail.aspx

It's important not to get any moisture into the chocolate ;)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I bought a bunch of Enjoy Life semi sweet morsels. My daughter and I have to be gluten-free and nut free and they are both.

I want to melt them down and pour them over raisins or coconut and make some candy for us. But when I melt them they feel a little grainy.

What do you add to melted chocolate to make it into a smooth candy? Cream, oil, ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

What method did you use to melt them? Low heat in a double boiler is the best method, the micro only on the lowest heat setting. You shouldn't need to temper choc chips, just use lowest heat as possible. And yes adding a fat will help keep it smooth. If you want a ganache heat heavy cream, pour over choc chips and stir. YUMMMMM

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

What method did you use to melt them? Low heat in a double boiler is the best method, the micro only on the lowest heat setting. You shouldn't need to temper choc chips, just use lowest heat as possible. And yes adding a fat will help keep it smooth. If you want a ganache heat heavy cream, pour over choc chips and stir. YUMMMMM

I used EL choc chips to make a chocolate dip for fruit, like strawberries, that's intended to get hard. For a whole bag of chips, stir in two tbps shortening when melted. This made THE best cho covered strawberries ever. Better than godiva. I used palm shortening.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

I used EL choc chips to make a chocolate dip for fruit, like strawberries, that's intended to get hard. For a whole bag of chips, stir in two tbps shortening when melted. This made THE best cho covered strawberries ever. Better than godiva. I used palm shortening.

MMMM! Yummy!

The Easter Bunny brought my daugher some candy. I used a little oil.

Picture073.jpg

Mom of:

Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.

Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

A little shortening will help with it, we use spectrum.

A good book for recipe ideas made from scratch is "the ultimate candy book" by bruce weinstein.

It has alot of good simple recipe ideas that I sub enjoy life chocolates for.

MMMM! Yummy!

The Easter Bunny brought my daugher some candy. I used a little oil.

Picture073.jpg

Cute pic!

I might have to make some covered strawberries this weekend :)

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Sounds like you are getting the chocolate too hot. I used to melt over hot water, but now I just use the microwave. Set it at half power and stir every 30 seconds. The chocolate is done when it just begins to soften and get shiny. The chips won't really look melted but stirring will melt them the rest of the way. If this is not quite enough, you can put it back for just a few seconds.