Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

savvvyseller

Berry Berry Kix From General Mills

I spotted a reformulated version of General Mills' Berry Berry Kix this evening at Acme Markets in Voorhees, NJ. There are no more oats in this version and all other ingredients are gluten free. The box has been redesigned, and the store had both the old and new versions, so make sure you pick up the new one. As of this writing, General Mills did not have the new kind listed on its web site.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I spotted a reformulated version of General Mills' Berry Berry Kix this evening at Acme Markets in Voorhees, NJ. There are no more oats in this version and all other ingredients are gluten free. The box has been redesigned, and the store had both the old and new versions, so make sure you pick up the new one. As of this writing, General Mills did not have the new kind listed on its web site.

I'm not a big cereal eater, but I do remember eating Berry Berry Kix and I really liked them! I definitely will look for the new box. Thanks for the heads up! :)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

OMG--I used to love that stuff! This is great news :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

clearly General Mills realizes there is a much larger market for this than they initially thought. kudos to them for reacting in such a proactive manner. now EVERYONE can eat these two cereals, not just everyone except us gluten freeeaks :)

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

clearly General Mills realizes there is a much larger market for this than they initially thought. kudos to them for reacting in such a proactive manner. now EVERYONE can eat these two cereals, not just everyone except us gluten freeeaks :)

Well said! I am so excited about the Kix cereal, I used to take that as a snack all the time!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

as a side note.... i've heard that Trix is gluten free also. does anyone know why they've decided not to label this on the box?

Joe

Dx Crohn's Disease - December, 1993

Positive Blood Test - November, 2007

Positive Biopsy - December 21, 2007

Gluten Free since December 3, 2007

Crohn's Medication stopped on January 17, 2008

I called General Mills to ask about this (I am a bit anal retentive :lol: ), and the rep said that the cereal is not on her list as being reformulated. Her ingredient list had oats listed. She said that the only gluten-free cereal they have right now is the Rice Chex. She did give their standard line about reading the ingredients on the box, however.

Has anyone else called them? I am trying to figure out if there is miscommunication in the ranks at GM or if the cereal still has gluten in it.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

has anybody tried this? sounds like that woman there doesn't know what she's talking about, the ingrediants are basically the same as trix which is fine, i'm just wondering if anybodies gave it a shot because i bought a box

We bought a box last night and the ingredients appear safe, I have ate half the box already and have not had a problem yet. I missed this cereal!

36_22_10[1].gif

I have bought a box of the Rice Chex and those are fine but personally I will wait until they have the gluten free marked on the box before I go for the Kix..

I went to the web site and there was a big write up in the news section on the gluten-free Chex but not a mention of any other cereals that are or are in the works. Although they may have removed the oats from them they may still use barley in the 'flavoring'. If the box has a new label that does not have oats but also does not say gluten free I would be inclined to think that it isn't. Just my take on it.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

that's true, but how come everybodies had trix with no problem? it really makes no sense, i believe they're all gluten-free since general mills is very good at labeling and nobodies had problems it seems, but i have no clue at all why they wouldn't state it on the box or something....like i said, it sounds like that woman from the company that was called had no clue, so somebody else should ask about all of this

We bought a box last night and the ingredients appear safe, I have ate half the box already and have not had a problem yet. I missed this cereal!

You give me hope! :lol: I can't wait to add another cereal to our line up.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

The General Mills website still shows Oats as an ingredient in Berry Berry Kix.

http://www.generalmills.com/corporate/bran...ct.aspx?start=B

I'll have to take a look at an actual box in the store.

The ingredients for Trix appear fine at first look but what about the food colorings and vitamins?

There is also the issue of cross contamination and no gluten testing for either Kix or Trix.

You can see ingredients on all the General Mills products using the link above.

Kent

The ingredients for Trix appear fine at first look but what about the food colorings and vitamins?

There is also the issue of cross contamination and no gluten testing for either Kix or Trix.

Kent

what food coloring/vitamins would affect a celiac? i wasn't aware of any... <_<

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Kent

I have gone through at least 10 boxes of Berry Berry Kix now with no ill effects. I do not believe gluten is in any food colorings or vitamins either.

36_22_10[1].gif

what food coloring/vitamins would affect a celiac? i wasn't aware of any... <_<

The CSA Gluten-Free Product Listing shows a Question Mark for all Food Colorings on their list.

In terms of Vitamins, I think one would want to investigate them or call the company.

Kent

I have gone through at least 10 boxes of Berry Berry Kix now with no ill effects. I do not believe gluten is in any food colorings or vitamins either.

Regarding "no ill effects", I wonder if that is enough.

Isn't it true for some celiacs that small amounts of gluten may cause inflammation and intestinal damage with no apparent symptoms?

Kent

The difference between Rice Chex and the other cereals is that GM actually traced the entire line of manufacturing from fields to box to makes sure that the product is indeed gluten free and doesn't come in contact with gluten. They changed the way they actually make it to meet those criteria, not just the ingredients. So for me, Rice Chex num, everything else... I'll pass for now.

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Also, Trix is not safe for all Celiacs. It took me months last fall to figure out it was the Trix making me sick, because there were no questionable ingredients on the label. But there must have been enough CC to cause a reaction - and I'm not really THAT sensitive. I can eat Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats with no problems at all. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Also, Trix is not safe for all Celiacs. It took me months last fall to figure out it was the Trix making me sick, because there were no questionable ingredients on the label. But there must have been enough CC to cause a reaction - and I'm not really THAT sensitive. I can eat Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats with no problems at all. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Trix went through several formula changes in the last few years. As of right now there are no gluten containing ingredients in Trix. Many members on here eat it frequently. You just always need to check the box.

36_22_10[1].gif