Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mammajamma

Silly Question

Hi everybody... I am new to the forum, was just finally offically diagnosed the other day. My 9 year old daughter will be having her upper endoscopy this week and I am expecting the same results. Anyway, since I am brand new, I've been reading lots of posts and am wondering... what does CC mean??? I have not come across that term before...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi everybody... I am new to the forum, was just finally offically diagnosed the other day. My 9 year old daughter will be having her upper endoscopy this week and I am expecting the same results. Anyway, since I am brand new, I've been reading lots of posts and am wondering... what does CC mean??? I have not come across that term before...

I'm pretty new too and just figured it out yesterday CC="cross contamination"

thanks guys! I can see that I am really in for an adventure. I am glad to find this forum for support and as a source for information... but I have to tell you, it's also scaring the heck out of me! I'm thinking "we'll just cut out the gluten and everything will be fine" and now I'm reading about buying all new cookware... getting sick from just HANDLING other people's food... I've gotta tell you, I am REALLY nervous now!!! :(

There are no silly questions ;) - Ask away, someone is always here to help. You are not alone.

Cindy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005

Diabetic

thanks guys! I can see that I am really in for an adventure. I am glad to find this forum for support and as a source for information... but I have to tell you, it's also scaring the heck out of me! I'm thinking "we'll just cut out the gluten and everything will be fine" and now I'm reading about buying all new cookware... getting sick from just HANDLING other people's food... I've gotta tell you, I am REALLY nervous now!!! :(

It seems overwhelming at first, but you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. I can't believe my daughter has been gluten-free for over a year now. I know that we started out with a somewhat limited but safe repertoire of food. Then gradually added (or rather modified our old family favourites) and have greatly expanded our meal options.

You don't necessarily need to buy new cookware. You need to replace scratched up nonstick cookware, otherwise, just give your metal pots and pans a good scrub down. You need to get a new toaster, cutting board, and strainer. Throw out your wooden utensils. If the whole house is not going gluten-free, you need to have separate butters, peanut butters, jellys, etc . . . anything that you dip your knife into and can transfer crumbs to. You'll make mistakes and you'll learn from them. We all do.

There is a wealth of information and lots of people to help in this forum just ask.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif