Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cmom

Publix gluten-free Brochure

Recently my DIL's grandmother gave her a Publix gluten-free brochure which is available in their stores. On the page titled "The Gluten Sensitivity Spectrum" , it states under Symptoms of Intolerance "And the good news is, eating gluten, while causing discomfort, will not usually cause damage to your body if you have just an intolerance".

People are reading this and believing it b/c she pointed it out to me since we both believe my son is, at the very least, intolerant. People pretty much infer that means they can eat whatever they want! :angry:

Robin from Indiana

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

How very frustrating that such misinformation is being given out! It will keep many people sick who believe those lies.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently my DIL's grandmother gave her a Publix gluten-free brochure which is available in their stores. On the page titled "The Gluten Sensitivity Spectrum" , it states under Symptoms of Intolerance "And the good news is, eating gluten, while causing discomfort, will not usually cause damage to your body if you have just an intolerance".

People are reading this and believing it b/c she pointed it out to me since we both believe my son is, at the very least, intolerant. People pretty much infer that means they can eat whatever they want! :angry:

You might want to print out some of the information (not anecdotal from here but from NIH and others) proving their statement is dangerously inaccurate, and send it to their headquarters. Too bad they can't be held accountable for spreading this wrong information. :blink:

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

I did email customer service but as of yet, I have not received the courtesy of a response. :angry:

Robin from Indiana

I did finally receive a response today. Looks promising. Here it is:

Thank you for your email. We appreciate our customers taking the time to contact us because we care about your comments and value your business.

Our Marketing Department provided the following response to your recent email concern:

Thank you for contacting us about your concern with a statement in our "Gluten Free Guide" brochure that says that eating gluten may cause discomfort but will not usually cause damage to your body if you have just an intolerance. This statement was researched and approved when the brochure was first created; however, because of your concern, our Registered Dietitian is doing further research to see how we might want to better clarify this information.

Thank you for bringing your concern to us. We are investigating and will make any necessary changes in future printings of this brochure.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us. If we can be of any further assistance regarding this matter, please either call our Consumer Relations toll-free number at 1-800-242-1227, write us at the Publix Super Markets Corporate Office, PO Box 407, Lakeland, FL 33802, ATTN: Consumer Relations, or contact us at our website, publix.com and mention your reference number, # 524113.

Sincerely,

Leslie Spencer

Robin from Indiana