Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRB

Got Gluten-- What Now?

Hi, it's my hubby that's celiac, not me, but since I do the cooking and doctoring and posting... when he accidentally gets gluten (he never does intentionally as it just isn't worth it!) it seems it takes him about 4-7 days to get rid of the gassiness, mental fog, and stomach pain. I keep thinking there must be a way to shorten the days or lessen the symptoms. Anybody do anything that helps you get through those days besides grinning and bearing it?!

Thanks!

Cynth

hubby gluten-free since dec 3.07

soy--free since feb 08

Guest j_mommy

It's pretty much grin and bear it, which is why you have to be VERY careful not to get glutened or CC'd!

I have taken probiotics and that has helped....a little!

Hmmm...honestly, and this i probably not the healthiest strategy, but I get really severe nausea when I get glutened, and I basically survive on ginger-ale. I've heard some people on the forum say they use caffeine to get through the overwhelming fatigue. I guess it depends on what he's comfortable doing, and which symptoms are the most troublesome for him. A s far as shortening the duration of the symptoms, I don't know of anything that will do that. But if someone does - I would love to know about it!

Water Fasting. Nothing but water till the pain and symptoms goes away. Fasting detoxifies the body.

Im at 41 hours without food right now.

After the fast, nothing but raw fruits and veggies for a couple of days.

I just found a strategy that helped me. I have reacted very badly to getting CC'd earlier this year and got quite ill from the stress of it not to speak of shooting D etc..

I just got glutened seriously the other night when the restaurant put in soy sauce in a dish when I had asked them not to. It was at a restaraunt that is used to dealing with folks that have celiac so I wastn' as vigilant as I might have been. I ate about a quarter of my portion before I asked what was in it since the sauce was black and tasted like soy sauce. They came back all concerned as well they might. However I didn't freak. I got my bottle of pancreatin out and had two caps. I also asked for some fresh papaya (they ran to the store and bought me some!!) and had a little pineapple to help stave off the effects.

Afterwards my boyfriend and I went over to a natural foods store and I found a new product that really save me from getting D I believe. It called Gluten-Zyme by Country Life. They had another brand there too however this one looked a little more powerful judging from the contents list. I took a double dose since I didn't want to fool around and then another dose that night and two the next day to make certain. I did get achy burning calves and feet which made it hard to get to sleep at first but no D!

I highly suggest others try this remedy. Short of eating fresh papaya and pineapple, have your bromelain/papaya caps at ready and the Gluten-Zyme when you go out or are kissed by someone who may have eaten wheat etc. etc.!!

I think too the fact I use so much nattokinase has helped my intestines heal quite a lot these last two months. Serrapeptidase or serrapeptase will work too if you can't tolerate any soy. They are all fibronylitic enzymes that get rid of excess scar tissue in your body wherever it exists. Its great too if you have clogged arteries since it will unclog them. They are even more effective if taken with general enzymes including the bromelian/papain on an empty stomach. Just don't take with coumadin...

Yay!! I feel like now I can be a more normal person again...I still need to watch out for gluten but its not so life and death as long as I am prepared which, with these enzymes, now is so much more possible!

Though meanwhile I totally agree about drinking lots of water and eating green vegetables. I would also add that taking detox teas helps like dandelion or milk thistle also helps. Plus detoxing by sauna and/or exercise helps too as does clay packs on the hands and feet. It probably helped me that I was wedging clay last night when I come to think of it!! It did pull me out of a funk in several ways no doubt including detoxing.

Bea

I swear by hot peppermint and/or spearmint tea. Very soothing and gets rid of my nausea. Or lemon balm tea if you can find it. Mint is an ancient remedy for upset stomach.

Thanks so all of you! I'm in the Philippines, so I don't get back to the boards til your night! Anyway, I think we'll try it all.

Ginger ale sounds good... you don't have trouble with carbonated drinks? He hasn't really had any, thinking it might add to intestinal gassiness?

My hubby also has severe allergy to soy... just wondering if the pancreatin he usually takes might have soy in it! going for some hot tea now. That's the same as what you're talking about, right, Bea? digestive enzymes? Got some exercise. Going to take it easy. Drinking lots... pretty good at that already:)!

One up side is that here in the Philippines fresh papaya is easy to come by and cheap! So is pineapple.

1965 kid-- how long does it usually take for the symptoms to pass when you fast? What about fresh juice fasting? Blood sugar issues, so just water isn't going to happen at our house:)

He does acidophilus, but not mega doses. You take extra when you get gluten, or just always take it and it reduces your issues?

Thanks for your help and if anybody else has something to add, love to hear it still!

Cynth

Thanks so all of you! I'm in the Philippines, so I don't get back to the boards til your night! Anyway, I think we'll try it all.

Ginger ale sounds good... you don't have trouble with carbonated drinks? He hasn't really had any, thinking it might add to intestinal gassiness?

My hubby also has severe allergy to soy... just wondering if the pancreatin he usually takes might have soy in it! going for some hot tea now. That's the same as what you're talking about, right, Bea? digestive enzymes? Got some exercise. Going to take it easy. Drinking lots... pretty good at that already:)!

One up side is that here in the Philippines fresh papaya is easy to come by and cheap! So is pineapple.

1965 kid-- how long does it usually take for the symptoms to pass when you fast? What about fresh juice fasting? Blood sugar issues, so just water isn't going to happen at our house:)

He does acidophilus, but not mega doses. You take extra when you get gluten, or just always take it and it reduces your issues?

Thanks for your help and if anybody else has something to add, love to hear it still!

Cynth

Hi CRB--the pancreatin I get is from NOW--it doesn't have any soy in it. Its gluten etc. free. The important active ingredient is Pancreatin. Gluten-Zyme is different although there are a few of the same things in it--namely amylase and protease. However I think the extra important ingredients are strong acid protease, glucoamylase and peptidase activity.

Personally I would add the Gluten-Zyme and Pancreatin when he is first exposed to gluten--the quicker he gets it the better. In fact I would just take them whenever you go out to eat. Just because of possible CC if you get my drift.

The papaya and pineapple wouldn't hurt either as an after dinner treat as well as digestive aid. Green papaya has more enzymes--though the ripe papaya is a lot tastier of course.

After he has been glutened still take the enzymes but also consider the various detox regimes. Dandelion or milk thistle do really help. Cleavers is another herb that is excellent and easy to use. Its a fantastic lymphatic cleanse. Take with lots of water and the above dandelion or milk thistle to give it extra support so it won't be so hard on the liver on the way out.

Marshmallow root and/or slippery elm caps will also help soothe and heal the lining of the irritated intestines.

About food--it is helpful to eat more according to the so called cave man diet--i.e., no or few grains. If grains the more ancient they are and less treated the better (i.e., no bleached flours). Its better to eat roots and squashes for carbs. He should only eat cooked vegetables, no raw ones for now. Stay away from spicy food for now. Some cooked meat should be OK. However no fried anything. If you have to use a pan to cook with add water and cover so it steams rather than fries. And just don't have it on really hot heat.

For myself I usually have to also eat cooked fruit (except for the papaya) but I think maybe I am a special case that way... Also probably no nuts for now either. Just easy, basic food to digest.

By the way, soaking nuts and/or seeds overnight is a better way to have them when he is ready to handle eating them. They have more enzymes and are easier to digest since the growth inhibitor is then removed by the soaking and sprouting.

Please let us all know if some of these remedies help or not!

Bea

There's not a lot you can do to shorten the duration of the symptoms, or make it much better. I liken it to having the flu. Once you've got it, it has to run its natural course...which is usually several days. You can make your husband a bit more comfortable...make his favorite soup, drink liquids, take advil, etc. But as for the tiredness, intestinal upset, nagging headache, achiness, mind fog, and purple circles under his eyes ...... you just need time. A heating pad, nice blanket, lots of rest.

This inability to make things better is what drives all of us with celiac disease to hunt down and root out all sources of gluten in our lives. It is what gives us the courage to call up manufacturer customer service departments, and pepper the butcher/waiter/chef/friendly neighbor/family member-who-baked-us-something-they-insist-is-gluten-free. with all sorts of questions about what pot they used, did they use a wooden spoon, were they cutting bread on the same board, etc!

Hope this helps.