This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

When Will I Feel Better?

mammajamma

mammajamma Rookie

I was just wondering what everyone else's experiences were like... I got the official diagnosis on Thursday and started the gluten-free diet immediately. As of Saturday I already felt some minor chnages for the better (was it all in my head????). Saturday night, all of a sudden, my belly started hurting again. I ate very little today (Sunday) but as soon as I ate some dinner it started hurting again...

when will I start to feel better? Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong? I thought I was being very careful...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flourgirl Apprentice

Hi. Some people feel better immediately. Some take months. I think most of us go up and down like a yoyo, especially at first as we learn about the foods, weed out other intolerances, and as our bodies adjust. We need time to heal, time for the body's systems to detox, and to level out with healthier living. You'll probably make mistakes with the diet as you learn about what is safe, what is not, what you can't digest because you're still inflamed. Intolerances other than gluten may be temporary or permanent.

I've been gluten free for 6 months now and am finally starting to feel halfway decent. I was very ill and had a lot of damage, was very impatient for improvement. It's so nice to know that I'm healing and continuing to feel better. On the way I've had depression (both physical and emotional causes), panic over food and eating, lots of doubt.

I hope that you can heal quickly and relatively easily. I think that the best thing you can do for yourself is to read, read, read, ask questions, keep a food diary if you're having digestive difficulties. If your doctor is not up on Celiac disease...then take some info with you on your visits (I do) about testing, about related issues, about anything that is causing you concern. This forum has been a Godsend to me, I hope you make good use of it also. There is a wealth of info here, and many people who have been where you are and are willing to help.

laurelfla Enthusiast

Flourgirl gave you lots of excellent advice! I would just add to stay away from milk for a little while (some people have trouble handling it when they are healing) as well as things like broccoli that can give you gas... I continued to feel like I looked pregnant after I started the diet and I had to weed out things like broccoli, beans, etc. until my system was doing better. Hang in there! There are much better times ahead of you and we're all here for support!

kenlove Rising Star

It just takes time, not only for the healing process but to get used to the cross contamination issues that can cause the pain and discomfort. Other threads on the forum go into how some of us have had to replace all the kitchen utensils, some pots and pans as well as other items. Even tiny amounts can cause us problems if ingested by accident. If others in your house are eating gluten containing foods than chances are your getting infected by them.

Good luck

Ken

I was just wondering what everyone else's experiences were like... I got the official diagnosis on Thursday and started the gluten-free diet immediately. As of Saturday I already felt some minor chnages for the better (was it all in my head????). Saturday night, all of a sudden, my belly started hurting again. I ate very little today (Sunday) but as soon as I ate some dinner it started hurting again...

when will I start to feel better? Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong? I thought I was being very careful...

mammajamma Rookie

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm already so thankful for this forum. I had some yogurt for breakfast and was soon doubled over with nausea... however, lunch went down fine, very little dairy... so maybe I will have to watch that for a while. It just stinks that I have to eliminate a safe and comfortable food already... but I will adjust...

kenlove Rising Star

When I first got sick I would throw up every morning. Was pretty sure it wasnt morning sickness considering I'm male.

Doc told me to have a slice of bread to calm my insides. Took them 6 months to figure it all out.

Yeah we do have to eliminate a lot of comfort foods but there are so many new things to try. I never would have had these alternative pastas,flours and grains if I didnt get celiac. It's rather fun to experiment with them.

So you can have fun while you adjust!

good luck

ken

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm already so thankful for this forum. I had some yogurt for breakfast and was soon doubled over with nausea... however, lunch went down fine, very little dairy... so maybe I will have to watch that for a while. It just stinks that I have to eliminate a safe and comfortable food already... but I will adjust...
ThatlldoGyp Rookie

Hi, it can take months to feel better sometimes. You may have had an accidental cross contam and ingested gluten. I found that after I went gluten-free, my reaction to gluten was way worse than when I was eating it regularly!

I would really suggest that you drop milk products except yogurt if you generally tolerate it, go on a low fat diet, try to eat mostly cooked veggies, avoid onions and other gassy foods for now. Clean every section of your kitchen, get your own set of gluten free cutting boards, cooking utensils,etc. Toss out or mark any foods that may have been used with gluten products and get your own stuff that is not to be used by anyone eating gluten (think butter, peanut butter, jelly, etc.) Check your handlotion and lipstick, (if you are christian)do NOT eat any communion wafers unless they are gluten-free. (I'm forbidden by my religion to eat gluten products now. Like mostly local foods,kosher,organic,and vegetarian was not enough of a challenge, oy!) Check everything that goes into your mouth, twice. Think whole foods and high quality. Good luck and I hope I helped. Happy Healing!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived