Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wakeboarder

Mystery Ingredients

I don't know if baking powder typically contains gluten or not. I'm guessing not, but I'm new at this so I'm trying to double check everything before letting it into my body. I can't contact the manufacturer for the baking powder I have right now, so I am trying to just check the ingredients themselves. So far, everything has been okay but I can't seem to find out what sodium aluminum sulfate and monocalcium phosphate are made of and if they contain gluten. Anybody know?

Ditto for a box of instant mashed potatoes. The only ingredient I haven't been able to track down yet is sodium metabisulfite. Again, any advice/knowledge/experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

yes, sodium aluminum sulfate and monocalcium phosphate are gluten free. The trick I use when I want to know right away is type in my google search engine the ingredient i want to search then the words gluten free? That usually answers it right away for me more often than not. Most instant mashed potatoes do have gluten. The hy-vee brand 4 cheese, roasted garlic and sour cream and chive are gluten free. Safeways Herb butter, original and roasted garlic are gluten free if you have these two stores near you? Also, trader jo's has a garlic mashed potato. Most baking powders are gluten free, what is the brand that you have? You are so right that you have to double check everything! I hear it does get easier for us...cant wait for that to happen :)

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

I don't know if baking powder typically contains gluten or not. I'm guessing not, but I'm new at this so I'm trying to double check everything before letting it into my body. I can't contact the manufacturer for the baking powder I have right now, so I am trying to just check the ingredients themselves. So far, everything has been okay but I can't seem to find out what sodium aluminum sulfate and monocalcium phosphate are made of and if they contain gluten. Anybody know?

Ditto for a box of instant mashed potatoes. The only ingredient I haven't been able to track down yet is sodium metabisulfite. Again, any advice/knowledge/experience you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Here is where you can find a comprehensive list of safe and unsafe foods and ingredients.

https://www.celiac.com/articles.html/safe-gluten-free-food-list-safe-ingredients-r181/ ://https://www.celiac.com/categories/Sa...B-Ingredients/

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)