Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ThatlldoGyp

New gluten-free Casein Free Bakery!

NEW CASEIN FREE and gluten-free Bakery! Organic and free trade to boot, so totally guiltless and indulgent and safe!

Just had some of the brownies and they are to die for! Wonder if we can wrangle a cook book out of them at some point? You can order online!

Go here for the website, hope this doesn't count as inappropriate advertising! But man are these brownies good!

http://molassesbakery.com/

Has anyone else tried them? I am going to find out more about them, but the area code is central Pennsylvania.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They are located in Bellefonte, PA. $50 for a dozen brownies???

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Hello,

I am the owner of Molasses Bakery and I would like to respond to the question about our prices. The cost of our cookies and brownies comes from the use of premium, organic ingredients.

Someone asked if I thought I could produce the same desserts using cheaper ingredients and I told them no way. If you've ever tasted organic walnuts vs. the conventional baking walnuts, there is no contest. Organic brown sugar is in a different league than the standard processed brown sugar. "Standard" brown sugar is really just white table sugar with molasses added back into it, as opposed to the rich, sticky molasses sugar that results from minimal processing of real, organic brown sugar.

These desserts are gourmet and should be compared more with what you might order after a nice dinner out than what you would buy in a box at the grocery store. I know my husband and sister in law, who are both celiac, were desperately missing that experience of ordering something truly rich and delicious from an upscale bakery or nice restaurant until I began producing these desserts. For many celiacs in much of the country, if you want an amazing dessert you have to make it yourself or you're out of luck. I was very excited to put something out there for celiacs when they need more than just a sugar fix, when they need something truly delicious.

Hope this sheds some light on why we price our cookies and brownies this way.

Sarah Guillard

Owner, Molasses Bakery

www.MolassesBakery.com

Hi, Sarah, and thank you for the explanation. It does make sense. However, when it comes to choosing between a plate of brownies and half :o a tank of gas in order to get to work or get the kids to school, I'm afraid the gas wins every time.

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)