This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anyone Else A Metabolic 'protein' Type?

AliB

AliB Enthusiast

I have just assessed myself as a Protein type. I have known for years that I need plenty of protein and can't cope with carbs but didn't know why.

I anyone else eating according to their type and are you finding it works for you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, I am an extreme protein type. I react badly to any carbs at all (including what is in vegetables). Right now I am on a mostly meat and fat diet with minimal carbs (pretty much just onions and herbs), and I am finally losing some weight and am starting to have a little more energy.

jerseyangel Proficient

I do best with more protein, some good fats and little (if no) grain.

I went back on grains about a year ago after being off of them for a year or so. I cut them out shortly after being diagnosed, as I discovered many other intolernces including grains.

Since being back on corn, rice and sorghum I have gained 20 pounds, my blood pressure has spiked and I have foggy brain issues and some anxiety creeping back.

I've been doing meats, nuts, veggies and fruits (and lots of spring water) now for only 4 days and can feel some positive changes already. My mind is clearer, the whooshing sound in my right ear that has been plagueing me for months has stopped (!), and my stomach has been perfect.

I somehow "know" that this is the way my body "wants" me to eat--I love popcorn and toast, but I have finally come to grips with the fact that it's just not good for me.

This has been a process: feeling better (though not completely well) after finding out about the Celiac/gluten, identifying other food sensitivites, going a little crazy with delicious foods after finally feeling "normal" for the first time in years, and now to getting real with it and eating to live and live more fully. It's taken 3 years to come around to this.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

I am working on it. I was a vegetarian for years, then vegan. So moving to a more protein based diet has been a challenge for me. I was doing raw vegan with lots of success for a few weeks, but the amount of nuts I would have to consume to get the protein was a bit tough on the old intestinals after a few days.

So now I do mostly raw, but also grass-fed beef an buffalo. No grains. I'm eating trout today, so hopefully that will be good. Mostly rabbit food, as my dad says.

I think what I have to find is a balance of how much. If I have 1/3 hamburger patty in one meal, that might be too much. But if I ate that over the course of the day with every meal, that might work better.

Anyway, still fiddling around with it. But no grains definitely has immediate beneficial effects (brain works lots and lots better). Weight loss is the only issue I've got with it -- well, that and wishing I was eating a creamy baked sweet potato. Yum.

AliB Enthusiast
Yes, I am an extreme protein type. I react badly to any carbs at all (including what is in vegetables). Right now I am on a mostly meat and fat diet with minimal carbs (pretty much just onions and herbs), and I am finally losing some weight and am starting to have a little more energy.

Oh Ursula, poor you. I thought being on the Metabolic Protein diet was restrictive enough but you really have your work cut out!

I don't tolerate many carbs very well at all too, but I think I can manage a few more than you. I seem to be ok with vegetables although they are restricted anyway to lower carb types on this diet. I have never been able to cope with fruit very well either so the fact that I am restricted to a little apple, pear and no more than 3 bananas per week comes as no surprise. as chocolate is off-bounds we don't seem to have a lot of 'treat' options which makes it pretty hard.

I am just really kicking myself now for not staying on the low-carb diets a few years ago. I made the stupid mistake of listening to all those doubting thomases who kept saying that 'high-protein' is bad for the kidneys/heart/cholesterol/whatever. Now though I have realised why I did so well on it - because my metabolic type is designed to eat that way!

Had I kept it going I might not have ended up in such a mess now! I was able to follow the low-carb pretty well, and lost weight on it, but now I am struggling to shift the weight even on this restricted diet. I've only implemented it over the last few days and although I was on the right track with the SCD I was still eating too much carb so hopefully now things will start to shift.

I am very interested to hear how others have benefitted from eating according to their metabolic type.

Thanks for your input Ursula - I did reply to your PM the other day, but just as I was about to send it my computer crashed and I lost it and didn't have the heart to type it out all over again!!!

AliB Enthusiast
I do best with more protein, some good fats and little (if no) grain.

I went back on grains about a year ago after being off of them for a year or so. I cut them out shortly after being diagnosed, as I discovered many other intolernces including grains.

Since being back on corn, rice and sorghum I have gained 20 pounds, my blood pressure has spiked and I have foggy brain issues and some anxiety creeping back.

I've been doing meats, nuts, veggies and fruits (and lots of spring water) now for only 4 days and can feel some positive changes already. My mind is clearer, the whooshing sound in my right ear that has been plagueing me for months has stopped (!), and my stomach has been perfect.

I somehow "know" that this is the way my body "wants" me to eat--I love popcorn and toast, but I have finally come to grips with the fact that it's just not good for me.

This has been a process: feeling better (though not completely well) after finding out about the Celiac/gluten, identifying other food sensitivites, going a little crazy with delicious foods after finally feeling "normal" for the first time in years, and now to getting real with it and eating to live and live more fully. It's taken 3 years to come around to this.

Funny thing - when I first stopped gluten, I cut out dairy, and most carbs and sugar and for a few days I felt great - loads of energy, but then I got smacked by a virus and went right back down again. I am gradually clawing back up but it is taking ages this time.

I started eating a few more carbs - we had the grandkids for the school hols and I was doing a fair amount of baking which didn't help, but I have got the Metabolic Typing Book through now and have been implementing the diet for the last 3 days so hopefully things will start to pick up.

I am still allowing a few 'bad' carbs to creep in as the diet seems so restrictive, but hopefully I will get past that when I can retrain my brain! The hardest thing to lose will be chocolate. We live in a predominantly cold climate for most of the year and there is nothing like a good hot choc to warm you through! I just don't know what to replace it with - hot water just doesn't have the same impact somehow!

I thought being diabetic was bad enough but now there ain't much food i can eat either - kinda feels like a bit of a raw deal at the moment!

AliB Enthusiast
I am working on it. I was a vegetarian for years, then vegan. So moving to a more protein based diet has been a challenge for me. I was doing raw vegan with lots of success for a few weeks, but the amount of nuts I would have to consume to get the protein was a bit tough on the old intestinals after a few days.

So now I do mostly raw, but also grass-fed beef an buffalo. No grains. I'm eating trout today, so hopefully that will be good. Mostly rabbit food, as my dad says.

I think what I have to find is a balance of how much. If I have 1/3 hamburger patty in one meal, that might be too much. But if I ate that over the course of the day with every meal, that might work better.

Anyway, still fiddling around with it. But no grains definitely has immediate beneficial effects (brain works lots and lots better). Weight loss is the only issue I've got with it -- well, that and wishing I was eating a creamy baked sweet potato. Yum.

Trouble is that some of us actually need to be eating purines and you just can't get them from vegetables - they have to come from meat and fish. It seems that only those who are 'carbo' types are really cut out for vegetarianism. for the rest of us, getting enough protein is extremely important.

The nature of vegetarianism is such that carbs feature very highly in the diet and some seem to think that if they eat a few beans they will be getting enough protein. It isn't true.

When you say weight loss is the only issue, do you mean that you are losing weight, or you aren't?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
The hardest thing to lose will be chocolate. We live in a predominantly cold climate for most of the year and there is nothing like a good hot choc to warm you through! I just don't know what to replace it with - hot water just doesn't have the same impact somehow!

I will have a hard time with losing chocolate, too. For a little taste of chocolate--and much better than hot water--if you can do it, Stash makes a decaf Chocolate Hazelnut Tea which is not bad.

Not the same as hot cocoa, though :(

Are you thirstier than normal? I'm doing ok for the most part except the sugar cravings and the dry mouth. I'm thinking these symptoms are a positive thing?

BRUMI1968 Collaborator
When you say weight loss is the only issue, do you mean that you are losing weight, or you aren't?

I lose. I tend to lose weight on the low carb; but admittedly, I don't eat a LOT of protein...just no starchy carbs and no fruit or sugar of any kind. I am 5'9 and if I eat millet bread or corn tortillas for starch every day, I stay about 130, but if I quit, I eek down to below 125. it's alright I suppose, to be on the lean side, but I'd get worried if I dropped much past 125 at all. Got down to 123 a few months ago, but then added back bread.

I eat LOTS of avocados, and I sometimes eat nut milk, but I have to avoid all sugars, or I bloat up and get other symptoms of bacterial overgrowth as well...so it would have to be homemade almond milk. Don't know if you've priced out almonds lately. Holy smokes! And if I eat too many nuts, I can get some intestinal pains as well, though it takes a while to build it up.

I have recently added amaranth, which is high protein for a "grain" (not a grain, actually) and only really tastes good with almond milk (forcing some of those calories as well)...so maybe that will help balance it out. Good breakfast! Buckwheat (also not a grain) works in moderation, but if I eat it too often or too much at once, it's too heavy and causes heartburn and weird stomach.

Plus, I can't eat eggs. I know they are pretty low calorie, but they are at least some protein. Don't work for me at all.

I'll figure it all out I guess...one of these days. It's funny. Stomach prefers raw vegan; Energy hasn't figured itself out yet; bowels prefer raw vegan as long as not too much nut......Raw vegan is very close - so raw vegan plus some high purine meat should work just great I would think. I just wish I could eat dates/agave/etc for some of the fun stuff.

(did make chocolate mousse out of avocado the other day and it was superb! but then, made me sicky feeling from all the sugar. oh well.)

AliB Enthusiast
I will have a hard time with losing chocolate, too. For a little taste of chocolate--and much better than hot water--if you can do it, Stash makes a decaf Chocolate Hazelnut Tea which is not bad.

Not the same as hot cocoa, though :(

Are you thirstier than normal? I'm doing ok for the most part except the sugar cravings and the dry mouth. I'm thinking these symptoms are a positive thing?

I am in the UK and can't get half the stuff you have access to in the States! You have a far greater choice than we do, boo hoo!

I haven't noticed my thirst picking up at all. I've never been very good at drinking. I read somewhere that some people interpret thirst as hunger and tend to eat instead - I reckon that's me. I am trying to drink a lot more water and keep several half liter bottles floating round the house and in the car so I have no excuse not to drink! I have found in the past that I lose weight better when I drink enough.

I always have a dry mouth - if i wake in the night I have to grab a swig as it just seizes up! I'm not sure if it is thirst or the diabetes or even Candida. It will be interesting to see if it goes away when my body has balanced itself out. I am still waking up with a mouth like the bottom of a sewage pit, so I obviously haven't finished dumping toxins yet.

Interestingly, the book says that we get sugar cravings if we have eaten too much carbohydrate! That may well be true. When I first dropped gluten and dairy and most carbs i was actually pretty good for a while and didn't crave the carbs, but then I started eating a few more and now if I have any I want loads. My body obviously can't cope with ANY! Life really isn't fair sometimes, is it!

AliB Enthusiast
I lose. I tend to lose weight on the low carb; but admittedly, I don't eat a LOT of protein...just no starchy carbs and no fruit or sugar of any kind. I am 5'9 and if I eat millet bread or corn tortillas for starch every day, I stay about 130, but if I quit, I eek down to below 125. it's alright I suppose, to be on the lean side, but I'd get worried if I dropped much past 125 at all. Got down to 123 a few months ago, but then added back bread.

I eat LOTS of avocados, and I sometimes eat nut milk, but I have to avoid all sugars, or I bloat up and get other symptoms of bacterial overgrowth as well...so it would have to be homemade almond milk. Don't know if you've priced out almonds lately. Holy smokes! And if I eat too many nuts, I can get some intestinal pains as well, though it takes a while to build it up.

I have recently added amaranth, which is high protein for a "grain" (not a grain, actually) and only really tastes good with almond milk (forcing some of those calories as well)...so maybe that will help balance it out. Good breakfast! Buckwheat (also not a grain) works in moderation, but if I eat it too often or too much at once, it's too heavy and causes heartburn and weird stomach.

Plus, I can't eat eggs. I know they are pretty low calorie, but they are at least some protein. Don't work for me at all.

I'll figure it all out I guess...one of these days. It's funny. Stomach prefers raw vegan; Energy hasn't figured itself out yet; bowels prefer raw vegan as long as not too much nut......Raw vegan is very close - so raw vegan plus some high purine meat should work just great I would think. I just wish I could eat dates/agave/etc for some of the fun stuff.

(did make chocolate mousse out of avocado the other day and it was superb! but then, made me sicky feeling from all the sugar. oh well.)

Coo, wish I could lose weight that easily!!!

The interesting thing about this diet is that if you get your metabolic food balance right, apparently your body weight will even out, so those who need to lose will lose, and those who need to gain will gain.

Have you established which type you actually are?

jerseyangel Proficient
I am in the UK and can't get half the stuff you have access to in the States! You have a far greater choice than we do, boo hoo!

I haven't noticed my thirst picking up at all. I've never been very good at drinking. I read somewhere that some people interpret thirst as hunger and tend to eat instead - I reckon that's me. I am trying to drink a lot more water and keep several half liter bottles floating round the house and in the car so I have no excuse not to drink! I have found in the past that I lose weight better when I drink enough.

I always have a dry mouth - if i wake in the night I have to grab a swig as it just seizes up! I'm not sure if it is thirst or the diabetes or even Candida. It will be interesting to see if it goes away when my body has balanced itself out. I am still waking up with a mouth like the bottom of a sewage pit, so I obviously haven't finished dumping toxins yet.

Interestingly, the book says that we get sugar cravings if we have eaten too much carbohydrate! That may well be true. When I first dropped gluten and dairy and most carbs i was actually pretty good for a while and didn't crave the carbs, but then I started eating a few more and now if I have any I want loads. My body obviously can't cope with ANY! Life really isn't fair sometimes, is it!

Sorry that you can't get the Stash Tea in the UK-- If you would ever like to try it, I'd be happy to sent you a box. :)

When I eat carbs, I always crave more. I went on the Adkins diet years ago and found that as long as I stayed at the base (most restrictive) level, I was ok but if I cheated with carbs, I was running into the kitchen all day long looking for something else to eat. It was like if I had some, the floodgates would open and I had no control for the rest of the day.

Even recently when I was eating grains and sugar I'd be fine until after lunch, then I'd want to snack all afternoon. Plus, I was starting to crave things like popcorn all the time.

These sugar cravings are not like that--I can pretty easily control them (haven't cheated yet) but it's a constant "I could really go for something sweet". I could do without that.....in time, I guess.

This thirst very well could be hunger ....I'm still eating fruit so I pop a couple chunks of fresh pineapple and it helps offset the craving and the dry mouth.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Not 100% sure of my type. I took Dr. Mercola's test online, which turned out to be a huge disappointment - asked me what I already ate, and didn't even give vegetarian choices for crying out loud. I came out protein type on it. Anyway, one thing that lends itself to being a protein type is being hungry a lot and thinking about food a lot - I sure fit into that category. So I suppose I'm not totally sure.

One thing I noticed while eating grains is that I rarely got truly hungry. This was disturbing to me. Now that I'm grain free, I get amazingly hungry ... all the time is the problem. Anyway, I'm sure I'm close to figuring it out. I hope so because my partner and I are leaving on a 12-18 month motorcycle tour of the American west - camping! He loves cornbread and tortillas and beans (all things I don't eat) ... I eat mostly nuts, seeds, tomato, avocado, salad, amaranth. It'll be interesting! I need to get my half figured out for sure, though, since digestive problems on the road will suck the big one.

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi.

I'm not sure of my metabolic type, but I know I feel a lot better eating less carbohydrates.

I'm 50, always been overweight and toyed with a lot of diets and have finally come here to a low carb diet, not just to loose weight, but to gain more energy and feel alive. I admit, that going low carb makes me less hungry. It has only been a couple of weeks, and I have had my ups and downs, but am back down trying to do it again. I seem to have a hard time on holiday from work, for a few days I just go crazy about food. It must be all that time at home.

I have no problems with fruit and vegetables, nuts could be a problem for me, but that could also be cc.

Reading this thread is giving me the inspiration I need to keep going. After all this is totally so alien to what we are taught, and what is still instilled into us. But then again, a gluten free diet is alien in the beginning, but it seems to give me the courage to try new things. Thanks.

Cathy

jerseyangel Proficient

Cathy--I wish you lots of luck with this. It is quite exciting and I appreciate talking to others who are coming to the same realization as I have. :)

Kaycee Collaborator

Thanks Patti, I tried going low GI, but I only lasted a couple of days, it was too complicated. And unfortunately, if I can find a way to cheat, I will. But I will never on the gluten free diet.

I belong to a NZ forum as well, there are about 5 of us in total, and we all seem to struggle with things more than gluten. Weight seems to be our biggest issue there, along with food that is supposedly gluten free, that still gives us grief. One of the members is a dietitian, and she is a wonderful sounding board.

At times I feel what am I doing? I'm going totally against the grain, gosh there is a pun without intention. Am I, or could I be doing irreversable damage to my health? Two and a half years down the track of gluten free, and as far as I was aware, that would've been it, it was going to be my answer to all my health woes. I was wrong, and I am still trying to find my perfect eating regime. I'm thinking maybe this is it. It feels more promising than most I have tried. I'm still swaying a little bit, and resisting eating too much meat and dairy.

I feel quite envious of people who don't have other food issues going on. Do I have problems because I started gluten free later in life, or is it just me? Maybe all those years of gluten eating has mucked up my metabolism. But I am thankful that I can eat fruit and veges, but will unfortunately have to definately limit my banana intake.

Cathy

AliB Enthusiast
Thanks Patti, I tried going low GI, but I only lasted a couple of days, it was too complicated. And unfortunately, if I can find a way to cheat, I will. But I will never on the gluten free diet.

I belong to a NZ forum as well, there are about 5 of us in total, and we all seem to struggle with things more than gluten. Weight seems to be our biggest issue there, along with food that is supposedly gluten free, that still gives us grief. One of the members is a dietitian, and she is a wonderful sounding board.

At times I feel what am I doing? I'm going totally against the grain, gosh there is a pun without intention. Am I, or could I be doing irreversable damage to my health? Two and a half years down the track of gluten free, and as far as I was aware, that would've been it, it was going to be my answer to all my health woes. I was wrong, and I am still trying to find my perfect eating regime. I'm thinking maybe this is it. It feels more promising than most I have tried. I'm still swaying a little bit, and resisting eating too much meat and dairy.

I feel quite envious of people who don't have other food issues going on. Do I have problems because I started gluten free later in life, or is it just me? Maybe all those years of gluten eating has mucked up my metabolism. But I am thankful that I can eat fruit and veges, but will unfortunately have to definately limit my banana intake.

Cathy

I actually think that the years of eating 'against the grain' as you so succinctly put it, does really muck us up.

The last time I had any energy was when I was about 14. I hit 15 and hit a brick wall and never really got it back. Weirdly, both times I was pregnant I felt better, although I put most of my weight on during my first pregnancy and never lost it again.

There were only two times in my life when I felt better. The first was about 25 years ago when I went to an alternative practitioner. She put me on to a low carb diet, long before it was 'fashionable' and I did pretty well on it. I lost weight and gained energy, but as is the problem with these things, eventually i could no longer afford to go and it all ended up out of the window.

The second time was around 12 years ago when I tried Atkins. I did very well on that, too, for the same reason - low-carb. You think I would have learnt by then that that is what my body needed, but I made the fatal mistake, like Patti, of reintroducing carbs and that all went out the window too.

It looks like my body has finally reached the end of its tether and said 'enough', do this properly or I won't work any more! It's gone on strike! Really I have always obviously needed to eat like this but didn't, although I knew it was better for me to do so. How thick can I be? I have just ended up following the high-carb, high-sugar crowd and being tempted by all the carb-laden goodies and it just doesn't work for me.

Now I am in a worse state as rather than having to just cut down on carbs, I now can hardly cope with any of them at all. I have done irreversible damage to my health by continuing to eat foods that my metabolism was never designed to cope with. Doh!

As it says in the book, the Bantu eat and need a low-fat diet. People like me of Anglo-Saxon stock need to eat plenty of fatty protein, particularly fish. Whilst their low-fat diet prevents heart disease in the Bantu it would cause it in me, and vice-versa. Because I am a fast-oxidiser, my body needs plenty of protein.

jerseyangel Proficient
It looks like my body has finally reached the end of its tether and said 'enough', do this properly or I won't work any more! It's gone on strike! Really I have always obviously needed to eat like this but didn't, although I knew it was better for me to do so. How thick can I be? I have just ended up following the high-carb, high-sugar crowd and being tempted by all the carb-laden goodies and it just doesn't work for me.

Exactly!

We've had very similar experiences....I did the Atkins as I talked about, and I also saw a Kinesiologist a few years ago who put me on a gluten-free, dairy free and soy free diet. I felt better immediately--no cravings and lost weight rather easily.... but for some reason I began to cheat here and there until I was back to square one.

Thick headed.

Edited to add (because I forgot)...this Kinesiologist also told me to eat no more than 2 ounces of grains per week.

AliB Enthusiast

See, I know I am thick - I just can't help myself.

I cooked heart for dinner - may sound gross if you've never had them, but we like them. That was fine. I had beans and 2 small potatoes with butter. Ok so far. Then I topped it with a small bowl of yogurt, some blueberries and a few chocolate chips. Hmmm. Oh, and to finish off, several chunks of nut chocolate. Sigh.

So I will go to bed later - yet another night, with my heart/pulse pounding as it does virtually every night. I wish I could live somewhere where there was no chocolate, or sugar, or, well, carbs full stop.

jerseyangel Proficient
So I will go to bed later - yet another night, with my heart/pulse pounding as it does virtually every night.

Wow, I had this, too. I could hear it in my ear and it was constant. Since day 3 on this, it has gone away.

Don't be too hard on yourself--sometimes we have to ease our way into something. I know that over the last few months, I was definately not ready to make any changes--now that I'm in a mindset where I want this to help I'm having an easier (not easy) time of it.

AliB Enthusiast
Wow, I had this, too. I could hear it in my ear and it was constant. Since day 3 on this, it has gone away.

Don't be too hard on yourself--sometimes we have to ease our way into something. I know that over the last few months, I was definately not ready to make any changes--now that I'm in a mindset where I want this to help I'm having an easier (not easy) time of it.

Yup, I've had that for at least the last 5 years. It's there all the time but I notice it more at night when it's quiet. Sometimes its so bad my ears pop and it feels like my whole body is throbbing.

I always thought it had something to do with carbs/sugar but didn't know what. I thought maybe it was if my blood sugar had gone too high, but although I have been able to get my blood sugar down to pretty much 'normal' range over the last few months (with the help of Vitabase blood Sugar tablets) it hasn't made any difference. I am sure though if I could just get a few days by with hardly any carbs I would notice a real difference.

Just after I started gluten-free, one night I woke with my heart nearly pounding out of my chest. That was VERY frightening. It may well have been to do with withdrawal and/or detox. Reading up about it, it seemed a bit like a Thyroid 'storm' too so I took some Kelp tablets for a week or so and fortunately have never had a repeat - don't want one either!

We just don't know the half of what is going on in there!

jerseyangel Proficient
We just don't know the half of what is going on in there!

That's the truth!

I think the pounding has a lot to do with the amount of fluid we are holding. Upping protein and cutting way, way down on sugar and carbs and drinking lots of water help flush a lot of that fluid out.

I also take a diuretic for my blood pressure, but the diet has helped to get rid of a lot of fluids. Seems counter productive to me to take the med and not follow through with eating to support it. I wish I could just say to heck with it and eat anything I want :angry:

AliB Enthusiast

Yes, but, its eating anything we want that has got us into this trouble in the first place!

I have dropped my BP med again as my BP has come back down. It went down after going gluten-free, but then it went back up again, but I was eating more carbs. I knew it was lower again as I kept getting dizzy every time I stood up! I take an ACE-inhibitor instead of a diuretic.

Funny, I never feel that I am carrying too much fluid, yet every morning when I wake up my ring is tight yet by the evening it is virtually falling off my finger. i can wear shoes in the evening that I can't wear in the morning. I seem to be the other way round to a lot of people - most seem to swell during the day - I swell during the night!

I have developed a real aversion to taking any drugs. I have to take the insulin and metformin - I have no choice about that at the moment, but the fact that doctors would rather load us with yet more toxins on top of the ones we are already getting just bugs me awful. The thought of encouraging us to cleanse and detoxify our bodies in order to rectify illness or disease just doesn't cross their tiny blinkered minds!

I think if I went to a Doctor with a high-blood pressure problem and he told me to go away and eat lots of protein and cut the carbs in order to get it down, I'd have a heart-attack from the shock!

jerseyangel Proficient
Yes, but, its eating anything we want that has got us into this trouble in the first place!

Yeah, I know <_<

It's so interesting to me that we have such similar issues. My BP is the kind that goes up and down, depending on my weight, and moreover, what I am eating.

When I first went on meds (which I also hate being on, but it was quite high), I did ok until the Atkins diet. After being on it for a little while, I began to get incredibly dizzy. I remember going for a walk with my husband and becoming so dizzy that I sat on a bench and he went home to get the car to drive me home.

My BP had gotten sufficiently low at that point that my doctor at the time took me off my meds.

Just another indication that I should have done away with the grains and sugar all along.

Kaycee Collaborator

Ali, I think you have hit the nail on the head. Too many choices. I remember a time when coke was only drunk at Christmas time. But now we seem to, well maybe not us, expect treats every day.

If I didn't have coeliac, I don't think I would've ventured too far from my diet. It wasn't totally bad, but so full of carbs, and all the dietitians would've told me, cut down and do more exercise.

Tell me, with increasing protein, which is the best way to go, more eggs and cheeses and watching the meat, or just whatever. I haven't a problem with cholestrol, it has actually gone down since I'be been gluten free. My blood pressure is being watched, as it is probably borderline.

Cathy

Archived