This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Dealing With This While In College?

kera87

kera87 Newbie

Hey guys, this is my first post and I'm just wondering if anyone else out there is going though this while in college. I was diaganosed in January and was devastated at first, but I'm dealing with it as best as I can now. I'm lucky enough that I live in an apartment where I can cook my own food, but it is still hard on a daily basis. At home, it's really easy because I have a very supportive family who make sure nothing gets contaminated and my mom loves to cook new things.

However, at school it's a different story. People our age just do not understand what it is like to have to run out of class because of an attack, or not be able to have a beer (i cant tell you how many people told me they'd "die" without it), or skip out on going to a restuarant. I basically eat rice almost everyday because it is the one thing that I can eat without feeling sick right now, and my friends think its the weirdest thing and openly laugh at me. I feel really alone at school and often call my family crying because of it.

For those of you who have had celiac for a while, how long did it take for you to heal? (i'm very strict with not eating gluten, but have supposedly had it for over a year without knowing) And if anyone wants to talk and share their experiences I'm very open to it because I'd love to talk to people who actually understand. Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Hi! I'm old (39), but am a college student with Celiac Disease. I know it's no fun on campus...at least you don't live on campus. I live at home and can make myself food to take to school, and I don't stay on campus for more than two classes at a time in any given day really, so I hardly ever have to deal with eating issues on campus. The beer thing is a bit rough - the "I'd die without it" attitude lives on in the post-college world, that's for sure. I don't drink at all, but if you do drink, you could certainly have wine. Then you'd be cosmopolitan as well.

I know what you mean about having to leave class in a rush, or fear doing that, or fear having to have a VERY bad time in the bathroom. I once sat in the last stall of the bathroom flushing every couple of minutes lord knows, and waiting to come out until class had started so the room had emptied out. I didn't want anyone putting my face to what I was doing in there.

Just so you know, Celiac Disease is covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act (or so is my understanding) and you can let your campus health office know about it, thus getting you off the hook at least with your professors. There may also be a club on your campus for folks with food allergies, or with celiac (can always start a student club for that too), or with eating issues of whatever kind. That might be a good place. Also, you might have a local celiac support group where you could meet new friends who do have some experience with it.

College is tough enough w/o these issues, I know. You'll get in the groove though, I'm sure. As to healing time, it's different for everyone. It sure seems like at first it is very up and down, highs and lows. But if you're very strict about the gluten, and watch for other food sensitivies and take it easy on yourself, it should ease up. Pretty soon, it'll be totally normal to you - and your friends will get used to it too. (Although, they'll probably forever tell you how fantastic their blue cheese on french bread is or ask you how you can live without pizza. Oh yeah, having a real tough time breathing w/o my pizza.)

Nina12488 Rookie

I'm also a college student... living in the dorms... haha no fun at all... but yes, it is really hard. People don't understand.. and ah yes the "you can't have beer? oh my god how do you survive" is common..i've come across people who are supportive and understanding.. but some people just do not get it.. and its completely normal to feel helpless and hurt. if you ever want to talk, just let me know!

kera87 Newbie

Wow I cant believe Celiac is covered under the disabilities act I'm definitely going to check that out. It would be a great help with being excused from classes, although I usually try not to eat before going to one. I totally relate to your bathroom story, I feel like that happens to me all the time. The worst was when I was on a bus coming back from somewhere, I thought I was going to die.

Today my friend came back from a meeting where they were having free pizza and said she didn't invite me because she felt bad, and as of right now my roommates are eating the leftovers :( It sucks but I just tell myself it is just food, and usually when they order it I make my own gluten free pizza that is delicious.

And with the beer thing, I've actually bought gluten free beer once that wasn't that bad. It's expensive and many many calories of course haha. I usually stick to wine or a gin & tonic type thing just to keep it simple when I'm out somewhere.

I'm definitely going to be stricter, I still eat cheetos and cooler ranch doritos (they're my pizza and chinese food replacement haha) and I bet they are not as gluten free as their website says. Thanks for the responses it makes me feel better :)

taylor- Rookie

hey! there are a ton of people on here that are in college. i just finished my first year and it was sort of a struggle. ive been diagnosed since i was a year old so all of my friends back home pretty much knew how to deal with it.

I have an apartment and my roommates are both fairly supportive and what not, i just sort of keep my own little area of food and they know to wipe the counters after they cook and not to use my butter and peanut butter and stuff like that. I have found that it helps me to be able to bake something i can eat too, so we can all bake and what not together and im not avoiding the kitchen all the time.

As far as your friends making fun of you, that can definitely be hard, especially if you are newly diagnosed, i'll be honest and say that it doesn't get much better, but you just sort of have to learn to laugh with them, which takes time, and a lot of patience, but usually works. i have gone off on a couple friends though that felt the need to point and laugh every time they ate something with gluten in it. I just explain to them semi-nicely that it can make me very sick, even if they have never seen it and that i don't think it is really all that much of a laughing matter. But 99% of the time, i just try and laugh it off. and the beer think is completely annoying, i'm not a big drinker, but it is still so annoying, especially when they are already drunk to begin with, haha.

Definitely check out the disabilities act thing, it can come in handy i have found. and i would look into the local support group, even if it is not something that really interest you, it would be good to look into to find local stores and stuff to buy different products..which leads me to my last thing..

there are pleeeeenty of options for food other than rice, you do have to change your shopping some, and shopping might take longer, but with some trial and error, you can find awesome products that will expand your eating world again, haha. if you have any questions or anything feel free to ask!

Laurad- Apprentice

Hi!

I was diagnosed during my senior year in college, and I was really sad about it too -- I got to the point where staying home and watching reruns on MTV for 7 hours a day seemed like a better option than having to hear one more drunk frat boy tell me he'd die without beer.

BUT I just wanted to tell you that it gets better. I'm 24 now (out of college for 2 years) and I have found myself in a great group of friends who are really supportive of the celiac thing. They even helped me come up with little modifications that I can make to (beer) drinking games so that I can play too! (PM me if you want to learn more.)

Hang in there. Things can only get better. B)

• 2 weeks later...
Tiger73549 Newbie

I'm a 20 year old Male (about a week off turning 21) and my father had Celiac's disease. I know one of the symptoms of Celiac's is malnutrition, but my dad was 6'2 and I'm 6'6 (I wouldn't characterize myself as malnourished, if you catch my drift ;) ) . My younger sister and I had a blood test taken when I was on Spring break and we both tested positive for the disease. My sister is borderline, but apparently I have it a lot worse then she does. I am currently eating foods with gluten, but I have to go to an Internist to have more tests done. I have to say I'm not excited about it. Living in an on campus apartment with a Meal Plan is not easy for people with Celiac's. Everything that the cafe has basically has gluten in it.

I'm kind of panicking. I figure I will be on a gluten-free diet shortly and I feel like I might be stuck with Frosted Flakes and fruit to finish my Senior Year of College.

Another concern I have is about drinking. I really enjoy drinking beer, and I'm curious what liqueurs (specifically what brands) are safe for people on a gluten free diet. I heard that Rum and Vodka are generally safe, but some rum is actually flavored with gluten.

One more question, for people who were diagnosed in college, did you notice any weight-loss or weight gain once you changed your diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kera87 Newbie

Hey, I'm going into my senior year as well so I understand. If your apartment has a kitchen, you'll probably need to start cooking a lot more. It's not so bad, I promise! If you have to eat at the cafeteria I'm sure you could contact the manager to set something up, they have to accomodate you. Also, if you say you live in an apartment I'm assuming that you at least have a microwave and there are tons of microwaveable meals (check out Amy's Brand). It's so overwhelming at first but there are so many foods out there. (Just not frosted flakes haha, they have gluten)

The alcohol thing sucks, I miss beer. However they make gluten free beer that I've bought, it's a little different but I got used to it. You could definitely buy that and no one would even notice. The liquor that I've heard is safe are Smirnoff, rum (ive never heard flavored ones have gluten ill have to check that out) and all wine is ok. I think whiskey is ok too but I dont really know much about dark liquor.

And I haven't noticed any change in weight. But they do say that people gain weight after changing their diet because now they are absorbing things.

Let me know if you have any more questions

whitney728 Newbie

I'm heading into my senior year as well, and I was diagnosed at the end of my senior year of high school. I definitely agree with you about most people not understanding what you're going through - I've gotten the whole "if I couldn't have beer I would die" comment more times than I'd really care to count. The adjustment was pretty rough - I feel like a lot of my friends from home still think I can eat wheat, and I can't even tell you how many times I've been introduced to people as "this is Whitney, she can't eat bread."

It does get easier though, especially once you adjust to the diet. Not having t o be on a meal plan and being able to cook for myself really helps - I was stuck with the cafeteria freshman year, because I was diagnosed the week I had to send in my housing forms and didn't think about getting an apartment-style dorm then, and it was pretty miserable. I was sick constantly, but as soon as I had more control over what I ate, it got a lot better. It gets easier though, and eating out isn't as hard as it probably seems right now.

To answer the questions in the posts above me - Redbridge is a gluten-free beer that's manufactured by one of the mainstream companies (I'm blanking on which one at the moment) and supposedly it isn't so bad. I hadn't actually tried regular beer before I got diagnosed, so I wouldn't know the difference, but it's doable, or at least I think it is. I usually don't have a problem with vodka. And yes, I did lose weight when I was first diagnosed - I lost a lot quickly right before I was diagnosed, and then I kept losing as I was adjusting to the diet. I gained almost all of it back once I adjusted though, which was good.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Tiger73549 Newbie

Wow, I read the label, and Frosted Flakes have Malt Flavoring, which is not good news. My dad used to eat frosted flakes a lot, and he ate gluten free for a long time (or so he thought) Come to think of it, if he did cheat and eat bread he got very sick, so I don't understand why the Frosted Flakes didn't get to him. I think it would be easier to get a list of foods that I CAN eat.

It's kind of depressing giving up all my favorite foods, and college is full of gluten filled cheap meals.

whitney728 Newbie
Wow, I read the label, and Frosted Flakes have Malt Flavoring, which is not good news. My dad used to eat frosted flakes a lot, and he ate gluten free for a long time (or so he thought) Come to think of it, if he did cheat and eat bread he got very sick, so I don't understand why the Frosted Flakes didn't get to him. I think it would be easier to get a list of foods that I CAN eat.

It's kind of depressing giving up all my favorite foods, and college is full of gluten filled cheap meals.

It is depressing at first, but you do adjust to it, I promise, and not feeling sick all the time makes up for it. As for cereal, Rice Chex are gluten-free, but this is a new thing, so you have to make sure it says gluten free on the front of the box, as some of the older ones still don't have it. There's a lot of foods you CAN have, but eating in a dining hall can be frustrating (see my other post). I've managed this for 3 years in college, feel free to ask me if you have any questions at all.

Tiger73549 Newbie
It is depressing at first, but you do adjust to it, I promise, and not feeling sick all the time makes up for it. As for cereal, Rice Chex are gluten-free, but this is a new thing, so you have to make sure it says gluten free on the front of the box, as some of the older ones still don't have it. There's a lot of foods you CAN have, but eating in a dining hall can be frustrating (see my other post). I've managed this for 3 years in college, feel free to ask me if you have any questions at all.

What kind of stuff can you eat when you go out to dinner somewhere? What kind of stuff can you eat in the cafeteria?

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Hmm, most of my friends and close classmates have been supportive and one out of their way to make sure there was food for me or at a restaurant willing to make me food. If people were disrespectful to me I'd have a real problem. College is meant to be a place of learning and fun. This is my last year and I have had a great time not only being Celiac but vegan as well and have had the opportunity to use Celiac Disease in some assignments. My only advice is to not let things get you down. . .semesters go on and classmates change and grow plus you meet tons of different people and sometimes other Celiacs! Good luck to all of you guys.

linuxprincess Rookie
Hmm, most of my friends and close classmates have been supportive and one out of their way to make sure there was food for me or at a restaurant willing to make me food. If people were disrespectful to me I'd have a real problem. College is meant to be a place of learning and fun. This is my last year and I have had a great time not only being Celiac but vegan as well and have had the opportunity to use Celiac Disease in some assignments. My only advice is to not let things get you down. . .semesters go on and classmates change and grow plus you meet tons of different people and sometimes other Celiacs! Good luck to all of you guys.

I use this for papers whenever I can. It's a topic I know, I've done the research on and know where to readily access the information for biblio's. I've written some really great things about this for various classes!

I do think Tiger's quote about college food being cheap and filled with gluten is right on with most campus selections. Here in Austin, even though we're known as a healthy town, my campus selection in the lounge is minimal for a GFer. What is available is all so unhealthy and processed that its unappealing. I've noticed that as long as I've been a GFer I've had the overwhelming urge to eat healthier. This doesn't make it easy on campus or even out with friends trying to find something to eat can be a little challenging. Most college students tend to hang around places that aren't exactly a GFer's dream when they're off campus too. I've quickly learned to always bring a snack that I can eat when I go out.

katiemk07 Newbie

I was diagnosed when I was three so I've grown up with Celiac but it is definitely still difficult being at college. One thing that was very helpful since I was in dorms and on a meal plan was talking to the head food services person in the cafeterias. Having supportive friends has been one of the most important things that has helped me through. That is what is important to recovering and feeling good about yourself with Celiac. The beer comment always comes up but I've been lucky enough to have friends who will make sure there is rum or vodka for me to drink. It's amazing how many things have gluten in them that people don't realize. I did a speech on Celiac for a class and people really took it seriously instead of making fun of me for it which was great.

monkey123 Rookie

I am a freshman in college and I am getting an apartment next year. But I was wondering what are some staple foods that people enjoy while they are on their own. I know I will be busy and I won't have time, all of the time, to make nice luxurious meals. I'll need something that isn't too time consuming yet healthy. Any suggestions?

taylor- Rookie
I use this for papers whenever I can. It's a topic I know, I've done the research on and know where to readily access the information for biblio's. I've written some really great things about this for various classes!

most definitely!! I've used celiac and/or gluten-free diets for projects since elementary school, its fabulous! science projects, speeches, autobiographies, research papers, you can really use it for almost anything...i encourage everyone on this board thats in school to totally use it to their advantage. Not only is there a slim chance that anyone will have the same topic as you, but most of the time you can get A's for thinking "outside the box" and it gets the word out there that celiac disease even exist.

Tiger73549 Newbie

Next fall I guess I will see how hard it will be to live Gluten-free and live on a meal plan. I have an apartment with a kitchen, but I unfortunately live with a kid who lives off bagel bites, pancakes and bread rolls, so cooking my own stuff will be a pain with him around (breadcrumbs on the counter and such)

I do like hearing some of the tips people are mentioning in their posts. Tips such as talking to Dining Services at school, and bringing Gluten-free snacks with you in case its hard to find safe food, will be very useful for me. I just turned 21 and haven't started my gluten-free diet yet (even though I need to) and drinking beer at the bar this week to celebrate my birthday made me feel worse then ever. Beer has been getting to me more and more since I really got into it Freshman year of college (its Beer that really helped pinpoint the problem actually). It really has gotten to the point where I can't tolerate it at all anymore, when I used to only feel sick after too many. Bread and food haven't gotten to me much yet though, but I have severely cut down on the gluten in my diet. I think I'm starting to get more sensitive to bread and greasy foods, as I notice I have more stomach problems then ever after eating fast food. I actually have gone off eating fast food recently.

I go for the biopsy of my small intestine soon, but I already know that my blood test showed I have Celiac pretty bad, even though I'm 6'6 250, so I can't claim that I'm malnourished. My dad got diagnosed in his mid 30's after losing a pile of weight all of a sudden, so I assume that helps explain why this disease feels like it developed in about 2 years for me.

I will keep posting about my experiences switching to a completely gluten-free diet over the summer and how I am with keeping with that diet once Fall semester starts up again. To anyone in college with this disease, I sympathize and hope for the best. You are not alone.

tulip47 Newbie

HI Everyone,

This is my first post and I'm really excited to see I'm not alone! Hahah! I just finished my first semester of gluten-free eating (I was diagnosed over Christmas break) and it was really difficult but getting better. There are a few other gluten-free people on campus and I believe they have been working with the campus dinning services and my campus is now offering a few gluten-free items in our convince stores! Nothing too great yet but they are learning and I could actually buy a box of gluten-free cereal, I almost cried!

I also live in a dorm and it is difficult to be happy about eating when you live with three roomies who live on bagel bites and microwave lasagna but I buy some Thai rice noodles that are really good in the microwave and you can put butter or spaghetti sauce (gluten-free of course) on top and its really good! I also keep a lot of good snacks on hand that I know i can eat like applesauce, fruit, chips that help me not get depressed about not eating gluten. I lived off of chocolate, chips and salsa, and rice cakes last semester but I am finding more things to eat! I also stock up on nonperishable gluten-free foods I can eat from a health food store when I go home because I can't find anything near campus. You definatley have to be creative and talk to your dining services but there are some really good meals out there you can make in a microwave! :)

jparsick84 Rookie
I am a freshman in college and I am getting an apartment next year. But I was wondering what are some staple foods that people enjoy while they are on their own. I know I will be busy and I won't have time, all of the time, to make nice luxurious meals. I'll need something that isn't too time consuming yet healthy. Any suggestions?

I'm a grad student, and have less time to cook than ever! I tend to do all my cooking on one day of the week, and make large portions so that I will have leftovers during the week. Chili, pepper steak with rice, a large cut of meat with potatoes and broccoli (cut the meat before you put it in the fridge though, or it's way harder to portion it out later) and homemade fried rice. The rice noodle bowls work for some people, and salads are always a good back up - add some beans and raisins and you've got a complete meal in one bowl. Mexican food can be healthy, if you stick to low-fat cheese and use beans or ground turkey (you can't tell the difference with the turkey, I swear) and put lots of veggies on your meal - onions, tomatoes, lettuce, etc.

If you start to feel pressed for time, I usually write out which meal I'm going to have when, so I make sure to cook enough for the week and so I don't get tired of the same meal. This can be really helpful when you have to go from class to class, or when you're planning your meals for the week. Keeping canned veggies on hand is also a good idea, as it's a bit cheaper than buying fresh and will not spoil. Del Monte canned green beans are ok, and some nights when I'm so tired, I'll just pan-fry some sausage, open a can of green beans, and put them together - it's tasty, honestly!

And yes, I keep oodles of snacks on hand - rice cakes, peanut butter, fruit, cheese, popcorn (Orville Redenbacher brand is safe, especially the Natural line, but even the Pour Over Movie Theatre Butter kind is safe), Cheetoes, chips and salsa (which, unfortunately, has to be a trial and error process - Santitas are ok, as are the Utz brand of tortilla chips. Synder's of Hanover, however, are NOT and should be avoided!) and Fritos. I just take food with me everywhere because I never know how long I'm going to be studying at the library.

And if all else fails, you can always go to Outback, or another place that has a gluten-free menu, and get a meal to-go. If you can add some more veggies to it, you can make that meal stretch to two meals, making it worth the money spent and the trip to the restaurant. I hope this helps! :)

• 2 weeks later...
whitney728 Newbie
Next fall I guess I will see how hard it will be to live Gluten-free and live on a meal plan. I have an apartment with a kitchen, but I unfortunately live with a kid who lives off bagel bites, pancakes and bread rolls, so cooking my own stuff will be a pain with him around (breadcrumbs on the counter and such)

I do like hearing some of the tips people are mentioning in their posts. Tips such as talking to Dining Services at school, and bringing Gluten-free snacks with you in case its hard to find safe food, will be very useful for me. I just turned 21 and haven't started my gluten-free diet yet (even though I need to) and drinking beer at the bar this week to celebrate my birthday made me feel worse then ever. Beer has been getting to me more and more since I really got into it Freshman year of college (its Beer that really helped pinpoint the problem actually). It really has gotten to the point where I can't tolerate it at all anymore, when I used to only feel sick after too many. Bread and food haven't gotten to me much yet though, but I have severely cut down on the gluten in my diet. I think I'm starting to get more sensitive to bread and greasy foods, as I notice I have more stomach problems then ever after eating fast food. I actually have gone off eating fast food recently.

I go for the biopsy of my small intestine soon, but I already know that my blood test showed I have Celiac pretty bad, even though I'm 6'6 250, so I can't claim that I'm malnourished. My dad got diagnosed in his mid 30's after losing a pile of weight all of a sudden, so I assume that helps explain why this disease feels like it developed in about 2 years for me.

I will keep posting about my experiences switching to a completely gluten-free diet over the summer and how I am with keeping with that diet once Fall semester starts up again. To anyone in college with this disease, I sympathize and hope for the best. You are not alone.

You can definitely manage cooking even though you live with roommates who don't eat gluten-free - I've done it for the past two years, and at one point I lived with 7 other girls! You just have to talk to them about your situation, and make them understand how serious it is, and stress that they need to clean up after themselves/put aluminum foil in the toaster/etc. You can also get your own pots and pans if that makes you feel better or if you don't trust your roommate to keep his dishes clean. I've managed fine, and I've never gotten sick, but I'm really careful even when I'm cooking in my own apartment. My roommate understands, but I've never really trusted any of my suitemates to keep things as clean as they should be.

Do you have to be on a meal plan? I know that at my school if you live in an apartment style dorm you're not required to be on one, so maybe you can get off of it and just cook for yourself? It might be easier that way.

And as for what you're saying about feeling sensitive to bread and all that, I've definitely noticed that my reactions get worse the longer I've been gluten-free. The more you heal, the more you notice when things go wrong.

Good luck with everything!

Alz Rookie

Im 24 and moved from the Uk to the US to come to university/college/school (I have no idea what the correct term is here!) I just finished my first semester of the second year (sophmore??) and besides the whole factor of being in a new country etc I actually found it really difficult even though I don't live on campus (which would have probably been worse). I didn't make any friends really and never ever even stepped foot into the cafeteria because anything that would have been recognisable (burgers, pizza) I couldn't have eaten so I just went hungry until I got home which helped with not having to run out of class for the toilet too! Next semester I'll have gotten my footing over here and be able to find stuff to take with me to eat.

One thing I do do which might help is when I cook things I make enough for another meal, so I freeze it and if Im in a rush I can just defrost it and heat it up. My husband also makes salads for me and puts them in airtight containers so if Im in a rush I can just grab one. It might not be ideal but it can come in handy.

I suppose if there are more people in school/college/uni with celiac you could all get together and have like meet once a month or whatever and pick tips from each other?

I can't really offer any decent advice really because I've had the hardest time of my life since the minute I got here! Apart from my husband my family and friends are the other side of the world! Planning and positivity are the key to getting through school/college/uni I think though!

• 2 weeks later...
rtag65276 Newbie

I've known that I'm gluten intolerant since I was 13 or so. My mom has it, so she had a pretty good idea why I was getting so sick. I didn't stop eating gluten very quickly. Basically, I'd find something that would make me really, really sick and stop eating it. Then something new would make me sick. Until at about age 15 I finally went 100% gluten free. I'm 21 now, so I've been dealing with it for awhile. I was homeschooled before college, so eating then wasn't a problem. At college, it became a very different story.

I attend a smaller private college. My first semester I lived in the dorms, had a roommate, and tried to eat what I could at the cafeteria (salad was about it). This was disastrous. I felt sick and had a couple really bad food reactions. I had a rice cooker, but my roommate couldn't stand the smell of it. Half way through the semester my roommate moved out, leaving me with my own room. Thank God. So basically I ate only raw vegetables and fruits in my room. Well, I also ate chips and deli meat, but that wasn't good for me either. I'm dairy intolerant and extremely allergic to MSG, so that further limits my choices. I was fed up with paying for food I couldn't eat. The next semester I went to the head food person and all he told me was "oh, we have foods you can eat here". So I had to go over his head and get administration to let me off the hook. My doctor had to write them a very forceful note, but they let me out of the required meal plan. I still struggled with the limits I had though, since I now had no way to eat much cooked food, since we weren't allowed to have anything other than Crockpot in the door.

I'd gotten a job in the same town as the school for the summer and was going to take a class. I couldn't handle it any longer. So I went and signed a lease for an apartment and asked permission later. Students under 21 weren't supposed to live off campus. After being flat out refused by the head of student life, I wrote the president of the college a detailed letter describing my health problems. My mom talked to him on the phone. He sent an order to let me go off campus. I've been off campus for one year now. The first semester (last fall) was amazing in how much better my quality of life was. For the first time in a year, I got to eat real food.

I still struggle a lot with things were people expect you to eat, as I'm rarely able to find something that I can eat. My friends understand, but I still feel alienated because of it. A job I had last summer/fall was really hard because the people working there would all eat baked goods and stuff like that at work all the time. It was a supermarket, so we'd get free samples and stuff. Or cakes for birthdays. I'd just have to leave the food area while others ate because I felt so out of place. I didn't wish I could eat those foods. I'm far enough into this lifestyle that I don't miss the foods, but I didn't like others keep asking me why I wasn't eating or feeling sorry for me.

As for what I eat now, I eat a lot of fresh vegetables, fruits, corn, rice, meats, and I make some of my own gluten-free baked goods. Lately, I've started buying some gluten-free pre-made foods like rice pasta and crackers. Since it's been so long since I've had "real" things like that, I can't really tell a taste difference. I'm a habitual label-reader in stores. I've got a good idea of what I can't eat, so it isn't too hard to do. If I do eat something that I think contained something I'm allergic to, I take a benedryl. If I take it within 1-2 hours of eating the food, I won't feel violently sick. I know that isn't something to do on a regular basis, but it helps a lot when you must eat out.

Oh, beer hasn't been a problem for me. I go to a Baptist school. Pretty much no one here drinks at all. I've tried wine and haven't had any problems with that though. Didn't get sick from rum either, but did get a bit of a headache the next day.

Sunshine007 Newbie

Hey, this is my first post.

I was just diagnosed with Celiac about a month ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out. I'm leaving this fall for college and have no idea how this new life style is going to work. I've always been an extremely healthy eater, but I know going off to college will make things a little more difficult. Any ideas for a PCS? Poor College Student?

Sunshine007 Newbie

Hey, this is my first post.

I was just diagnosed with Celiac about a month ago and I'm still trying to figure everything out. I'm leaving this fall for college and have no idea how this new life style is going to work. I've always been an extremely healthy eater, but I know going off to college will make things a little more difficult. Any ideas for a PCS? Poor College Student?

Archived