Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

S_J_L

Not Digesting My Gluten Free Food?

Hi,

I was diagnosed with celiac disease just over a week ago, and have been gluten free since.

For breakfast i am eating gluten free museli instead of toast. I have been noticing that the museli comes out of my body in the same form it went in!!!

Any ideas? im getting more tired.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

What is in the muesli?

some seeds etc are hard to digest and can come out the same way.

I have been gluten-free for a couple of months now and have been having a similar problem with a lot of my foods.

In order to help with this I have been eating rice porridge for breakfast and soups or salads for my main meals. This is definitely helping. I know that a lot of the alternative grains can be hard to digest, so I would suggest that you adjust your diet a little until your body gets used to the new foods.

Good luck

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

You need some time to heal. You may want to try something like cream of buckwheat or rice or a for sure marked gluten-free rice cereal with some fruit instead of something quite so high in seeds and nuts. Be gently to your system for a bit, cooked veggies and fruits, lower fat meats, mild spices, delete or limit dairy, and try not to add any new stuff for a bit. The Celiac Sprue association has a good starting plan with a starting and expanding stage, here's a link:

http://www.csaceliacs.org/gluten_choices.php

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Oh OK, thanks!

I have some more questions. Do potato chips (plain salted) have gluten in them? and chocolate?

I dont know about my toothpaste cos it doesnt say the ingredients, i use colgate.

Thanks

Oh OK, thanks!

I have some more questions. Do potato chips (plain salted) have gluten in them? and chocolate?

I dont know about my toothpaste cos it doesnt say the ingredients, i use colgate.

Thanks

Also, if the museli contains oats, they may be contaiminated or you may be someone who reacts to oats.

In general, potato chips are gluten-free, but it depends on the brand. Same with chocolate. What brand do you want to eat? Dove is fine, 3 musketeers, reese's PB cups (the normal ones, not the holiday kinds). Hersey's isn't great about disclosing if there are CC issues, and Hersey's minis are definitely not gluten-free.

Colgate is fine.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Stop eating processed gluten-free foods, esp gluten-free grains and breads. Eat only whole foods like fresh meats, fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs and dairy if you can handle it. You're gut is damaged and ingesting hard to digest foods like grains and complex carbs doesn't give your system a chance to heal. You'll notice that the transition into a gluten-free lifestyle is a little rough and coming off of wheat and grains will leave you feeling tired and constantly hungry. Just eat the foods I spoke of above to your suit your appetite. My mother consumed 4000 calories a day while healing and actually lost weight. I suggest--highly--the SCD. Look it up in google and read a bit.