This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Great Egg Bread Recipe

2new2celiacs

2new2celiacs Newbie

I am pretty new to the gluten free diet, since being diag. in Sept. 2004.

Since being diagnosed I have been on the mission of searching for that bread alternative that would satisfy my need. I have tried several of the brands available and much to my dislike have began trying to bake my own. I have several (reg.) cookbooks that I have been experimenting with trying to alter them into gluten-free breads and work pretty good when I use cornstarch and potato starch in place of reg. self rising wheat flour. I find that Red Star Yeast works best and it is gluten-free. The corn & potato starch work wonders for flavor as well as giving a good texture.

Xanthan gum helps too, it is a bit expensive at certain places, yet, cheaper when ordered online. For those of you who suffer from the constipation problems Guar gum would be good (of course for those of you who can tolerate this) due to it's mild laxative effect.

I also just got a good cookbook from my mom for Christmas, it's "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg. For those of you who do not already have this one, I reccomend it highly. She has plenty of great recipes for all kinds of baked goods as well as dinners/appetizers etc..

For those of you who enjoy english muffins and have not already found a good alternative, I recently just ordered "Sterks" brand bagels, and they were so yummy, however, they were just like an english muffin in taste and texture...WONDERFUL!!!!!

Happy Baking to you all and good luck!!! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cdford Contributor

Baking breads has been a long process of adjustment for me as well. The bean flours provide the best texture but are so strong that I cannot stand the smell. I used a recipe from this site last week and have had great success. I even sent a loaf to another celiac in my church this morning. It was based on a rice flour, potato starch, and tapioca combination. I added a little of the bean flours for the texture but not so much that I could taste it and it worked quite well.

I do admit that I miss those loaves of bread made from freshly milled wheat!

2new2celiacs Newbie

Hi Donna,

I would love to try your recipe! I am going crazy trying to to get the bread thind down. I know that gluten-free bread will never truly be like the original as we all know, however, if you have any you could share, I would me most grateful to you. :D

My favorite bread was potato bread and at this point I am just not able to get anything even close. Does anyone have any ideas for this type of bread.

Thank you,

Sarah

cdford Contributor

Here is that recipe...

I found the copy I had made of the recipe I was raving about. I have experimented a little and found that a table spoon or two of bean flour adds to the texture without giving it a strong taste. Also, adding just a little extra buttermilk on top of the dough after it is finished kneading in the machine gives the top a smooth look that just made me grin with delight. If you have one of those machines with a horizontal loaf pan that is a little larger, make half again as much. Be sure to have some cream cheese or strawberry jam to use when you toast a slice.

I mixed up a lot of the basic dry ingredients and placed them in a plasticware so that I could pull it out whenever I wanted and just add the wet ingredients and yeast. Be sure your ingredients are at room temperature.

I took this basic recipe and used it to make some pancakes that were so good my whole family raved. I just doubled the sugar and exchanged the yeast for some baking soda and baking powder. MMMM!

I included the signature of the person who had originally posted the recipe. Far be it from me to plagairize!

gluten-free Bread note from Laurie:

I have a Welbilt too; it works great every time. Even though it makes a 1.5 lb loaf, when I make gluten-free bread, I only make a 1 lb loaf. I think the smaller loaf works better because gluten-free breads do not rise like conventional breads. Here is the recipe I use (adapted from another recipe I found on a different website):

2 cups gluten-free flour (I use B. Hagman's - 2 parts brown rice flour, 2/3 part potato starch, 1/3 part tapioca flour)

1/3 cup ground flax seed

3 Tbs Sugar

2 tsp Xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

1.5 tsp yeast

2 Tbs Oil

2 Eggs

1 cup gluten-free buttermilk

This bread turns out great every time. It is great for grilled cheese sandwiches. My daughter loves it.

--------------------

Laurie

Mom to:

Hayley age 3, gluten-free at 26 months

Now my signature...

cdford Contributor

Oh yes, the potato bread question. My experience baking before going gluten-free was that the mashed potatoes in potato bread were used for consistency purposes more than anything else. I use to make some mean potato bread dinner rolls. I have not tried it with gluten-free flours, but I suspicion that you could take the recipe I shared and use some mashed potatoes to accomplish a similar purpose as the bean flours. Take a chance and experiment a little. What else is life for if not for learning and growing. It might also make an interesting foray into the world of applied physics and chemistry with your kids if you can get them involved.

2new2celiacs Newbie

Thank you so much!

I am planning a trip into town this evening to stock up on my gluten-free supplies and this weekend is booked for baking. I am exited to try your recipe since I have had all flops with my own except for the egg bread recipe.

I just realized I am such a dinger, I never posted the recipe.

If any of you would liek this recipe, please let me know. I found this in a cookbook by Betty Ryberg. This lady is amazing!

I think I stated earlier that she herself has Celiacs and I need to correct myself, she has a close friend who has celiac disease and she began baking and experimenting for this person.

p.s. I will try the potatoes, thank you. I'm Norwegian, can you tell? LOL!

Thank you again,

Sarah :rolleyes:

flboysmom Rookie

I'd like the egg recipe! I'm also a mission to find a tasty bread. I've experimented some, but we've only been gluten-free for a month, so I haven't gotten too far. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
2new2celiacs Newbie

Hello and forgive me for taking so long to respond :huh:

Once again I should say this is a recipe from the The Gluten Free Kitchen Recipe Book by Roben Ryberg, I'm telling you, that this book really helped especially when I was first diagnosed and lost!! :)

Ok, here it is...

1/4 c. shortening

3 Tbl. honey

2 eggs

1 packet of yeast (1 Tbl.)

1 c. unflavored yogurt

1/2 c. potato starch

1 1/2 c. cornstarch

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tbl. baking powder

2 tsp. xanthan gum

3/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vinegar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, combine all ingredients and mix well to remove all lumps. (The dough looks pretty wet, but it's ok) place dough in greased loaf pan and smooth the top with wet hands. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until it has browned lightly and check with a toothpick to test the doneness.

I have found that when you use a heavy duty bread loaf pan instead of a glass or disp. aluminum pan the results are much better.

Good Luck and let me know what you think. :D

flboysmom Rookie

Thanks! We're getting ready to head out of town, but I'll be sure to try this one out when we get home and let you know how it tasted.

Just to clarify...the potato starch is NOT potato starch flour, right? It's the one that I would find in the Kosher section of the grocery store.....right?

2new2celiacs Newbie

You are very welcome ;)

Just use plain potato starch. Most of these recipes in this book call for just cornstarch and potato starch. That is why I felt so at ease with her book. I can find these at my local grocery store and it just made it so convenient.

Take care,

Sarah :D

Archived