Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeannine

Your Opinion Please!

After 18 months of hell in the form of dermatitis herpetiformis, I was diagnosed. It took multiple skin biopsies and duodenal biopsies. So, I tell a friend and she tells me her husband was just diagnosed as well. I asked about how he did with the testing and she said no testing- he had ringworm and had diarhea for about a week and went in for the ringworm and was told that was a result of celiac disease! He was given a cream for the ringworm and told to go gluten-free.

I'm just a little bit frosted because she made it seem like if I slapped some anti-fungal cream on my dh it would be gone in a day or two.

Ok, my question is: is anybody really diagnosed that easily? And what does ringworm (fungal) have to do with celiac disease?

Thanks!

Jeannine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After 18 months of hell in the form of dermatitis herpetiformis, I was diagnosed. It took multiple skin biopsies and duodenal biopsies. So, I tell a friend and she tells me her husband was just diagnosed as well. I asked about how he did with the testing and she said no testing- he had ringworm and had diarhea for about a week and went in for the ringworm and was told that was a result of celiac disease! He was given a cream for the ringworm and told to go gluten-free.

I'm just a little bit frosted because she made it seem like if I slapped some anti-fungal cream on my dh it would be gone in a day or two.

Ok, my question is: is anybody really diagnosed that easily? And what does ringworm (fungal) have to do with celiac disease?

Thanks!

Jeannine

Wow, this is a new one! :o

It appears that your friend and her husband's doctor are very ill informed. There are three ways to diagnose Celiac Disease.

1. Blood Work

2. Endoscopy/biopsy

3. Positive dietary response and in the case of DH, a biopsy

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Thanks!

Jeannine

Is this by any chance a 'freind' who does a lot of 'one upping'? :D Ring worm has nothing to do with celiac that I have ever seen or heard. I'd be tempted to check her cupboards looking for rice bread etc. :ph34r: or to get together with her husband to find out the real scoop. He may have been sick for a while and have had a positive blood test. It is possible to be diagosed within a short time of being symptomatic but it sure does not happen often here and usually is a result of another family member being diagnosed and then folks that think their fine get tested.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Thanks for your replies! I did talk to the husband- and he didn't have any tests done. I told him he needed a new doctor. It seems that he was given a cream for the ringworm and told that he could have some gluten daily (approx one sandwich a day). He told me that his doctor is the best and very "cutting edge." Whatever that means!

Oh, well. To each his own...

Jeannine

Thanks for your replies! I did talk to the husband- and he didn't have any tests done. I told him he needed a new doctor. It seems that he was given a cream for the ringworm and told that he could have some gluten daily (approx one sandwich a day). He told me that his doctor is the best and very "cutting edge." Whatever that means!

Jeannine

hum....cutting edge of a butter knife. :rolleyes:

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

ha ha ha ha ha ha im sorry im laughing at these people, isnt it wonderfull how there are people in the world that allways have to be sicker than you, and have cutting edge docters, maybe you should tell him you have sand in your ovaries and see what his response is.

there is no safe level of gluten, as im sure you know, and yes the testing to see if its celiac is a lot more than a doc looking at your "ringworm" and giving you cream. ahhh goodluck with these people and just remember to take it with a grain of salt what they have to say!

Nadine

mom of 4 great kids - 2 diagnosed with autism and 2 typical kids (thank goodness)

all this started after my hysterectomy in March of 2006

G.F. since Feb 2007

Soy free since April 2007

Blood work was negatvie (after 2 weeks of being on the gluten-free diet)

entrolab results:

Antigliadin 9 (normal <10)

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 - 0302

HLA-DQB2 Allele 2 - 0502

HLA-DQ 3,1 (subtype 8,5)

carrying one celiac gene and one gluten intolerant gene

nurse at entrolab figures i caught this early and dont eat gluten anymore

life is like a box of chocolates;sometimes you get stuck with the yukky coconut fillet one

Jeannine

I'm sorry, but this thread has been one of the funniest things I've seen today. I wish someone had told me to limit myself to just ONE sandwich a day. I understand, if I were you I'd be honked off too... But as it was said, take it with a grain of salt. Wouldn't life be great if we could all be so blissfully unaware!

hum....cutting edge of a butter knife.

You stole the words right out of my mouth!!! :lol::lol:

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09