Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angie315

Night Terrors & Leg Pain

My daughter has only been gluten free for 2 months. Last night she took a bath (I used California baby body wash by regular shampoo). She was playing in the tub and putting water into her mouth and spitting it back out. About two hours after she was asleep she woke up screaming and didn't respond to my voice. She only woke up after she peed herself. It happened again later in the night and she then awoke a third time moaning that she was having "growing pains" in her legs. Is night terrors and muscle aches/pain a sight of ingesting gluten? She has never had the typical GI symptoms (no diarrhea) so I wasn't sure if this is how her body reacts to gluten now. Anybody has seen this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My daughter has only been gluten free for 2 months. Last night she took a bath (I used California baby body wash by regular shampoo). She was playing in the tub and putting water into her mouth and spitting it back out. About two hours after she was asleep she woke up screaming and didn't respond to my voice. She only woke up after she peed herself. It happened again later in the night and she then awoke a third time moaning that she was having "growing pains" in her legs. Is night terrors and muscle aches/pain a sight of ingesting gluten? She has never had the typical GI symptoms (no diarrhea) so I wasn't sure if this is how her body reacts to gluten now. Anybody has seen this?

I know that the leg pain definitely seems to be and when I searched on google for "night terror celiac" it came up with almost 80,000 links to do with that... I read a few and it does seem to be a symptom

My daughter had insomnia and restless leg syndrome until she went gluten free. She still has some problems occasionally, but not nearly what she had before the diet.

My son had leg pains and wet the bed almost every night til he went gluten free after we found out he was celiac. The bed wetting took about 6 weeks to resolve - it gradually got less and less til none at all. He was 9 (almost 10) when diagnosed.

The leg pains took about 3 months to disappear totally. They went from every night to about once a week to very couple of weeks before being gone altogther.

He gets leg pains if he gets cross contaminated.

My daughter used to have night terrors as well - they can be related to celiac but are also known as common issue with children under age 10.

Night terrors on the same night as leg pains - may just be the body responding to the pain (?) That's just my theory.

Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986

hypothyroid -1993

pernicious anemia

premature atrial beats

neuropathy

retinopathy

daughter is: age 15

central hypotonia and developmental delay

balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)

hypothyroid 1996

dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002

celiac 2004 - by endoscopy

diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet

recovered from Kawasaki (2003)

lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06

Gilberts syndrome (April/07)

allergy to stinging insects

scoliosis Jan 2008

nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008

allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13

type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday

celiac - 2004 by endoscopy

lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

It sounds like your daughter got glutened by whatever was in the bath water. There must have been gluten in the body wash!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to say as a child I had night terrors. They were very scary, and I would wake the whole house screaming and then not remember what had upset me. Sheer terror. The last time I had a similar attack was when I was in my late teens, by then, they weren't very regular. I was a very nervous child and maybe just scared of my own shadow. I'm sorry but I can't say whether they were related to gluten or not. Hope this is not what your daughter has.

What I can say, is that many years later,and now glutenfree, when I get glutened I have pretty graphic dreams, some are terrifying others are just so graphic. So I think gluten does affect my sleep. But I never wake up petrified.

Cathy

My oldest son (not the one with celiac) had night terrors several times a week for about 18 months when he was little (like 5-6y.o.). They are not uncommon in children, and aren' t a sign of anything in particular, usually. They almost always go away just as mysteriously as they arrive. They are more common in children who's parents had them, or were sleepwalkers (I was)

We found if we got to him when he first started one (which was generally about 1 hr. after he fell asleep) it would be a little shorter. Occasionally he would sleepwalk, too! It surely is freaky! He would have absolutely no recognition of us, and no memory in the morning of having done anything but slept soundly. Our pediatrician said to not try and wake him, just keep him from getting out of bed.

As everyone here will tell you , leg pains are often a celiac symptom. Whether she was glutenated or not is anybody's guess!

Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

The first thing that comes to mind is if there was any gluten residue in the tub. Especially on or under those rubber grippy non-slip things. I do know that muscle twitching can be from a nutrient deficiency, magnesium in particular. But in this case it just sounds like either a reaction to gluten or other offending substance.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

The California Baby is not the problem. She probably got contamination from something else. I have to say that I have been plagued by these leg pains for years and we always thought they were growing pains. Now everytime I eat something contaminated I get them almost immediately. I believe that night terrors are from dairy allergy or intolerance, which of course is common with celiac disease. I know that the lactase enzyme is the first to disappear from the damaged intestine. Perhaps you should cut out all dairy if you haven't already and check everything for a source of wheat or dairy. These things will happen throughout her life, I still get the stupid leg pains and they are a KILLER. Just retrace your steps to find the issue.

My daughter gets leg pains and occasionally wets the bed when glutened, or also I think from corn...still trying to track it to be sure. No night terrors though.

Liz

Liz

Positive enterolab results 11/07:

-antigliadin IgA: 56 (normal <10)

-antitissue tTG IgA: 39 (normal <10)

-anti-casein IgA: 34 (normal <10)

-HLA-DQ: 2,1 (2,6)

Positive blood test IgA and IgG 12/07

Gluten-free Casein-free since 12/07

mostly soy free since 12/07

Diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 08/07

Diagnosed hypothyroid 01/08

Still have mercury fillings, high mercury and lead

Multiple chemical sensitivities

9 year old daughter positive enterolab test for gluten, casein, soy and egg with HLA-DQ 3,1 (7,6)--mostly exhibits behavioral reactions to foods including food dyes, MSG, aspartame

Mother passed away 3 years ago of adenocarcinoma of unknown primary. Two years prior had diarrhea causing her to weigh 86 pounds...Mayo clinic told her to take pepto bismol. NO test for celiac, lifelong hx of ulcers, osteoporosis. I now know she had the celiac gene (my dad has DQ1) and was probably undiagnosed her whole life.

I'm so sorry you had to go through a night terror! I think every parent should be told about night terrors BEFORE they happen. The first time my son had one we were at my parents and it scared all of four of us adults tremendously. We had given him an asthma breathing treatment for the first time that night and we were all convinced it had done something to his brain. It was just awful! I still hate going through them, but at least now I know I don't need to call 9-1-1. The staring "through" you still turns my stomach when it happens though. For us, at least our son never has any recollection of them occuring.