Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

withnail69

Eating Times And Consequent Pain

day three of my wheat and gluten free diet and my pain seems to subside immediately after eating and comes back when my stomach is more empty. Does that make any sense to anyone. I am typing this at 7pm uk time and have bad pain in my right side (inbetween hip and ribs) I ate around 6 hours ago. When I go to bed I am usually having a bit of pain that is gone by morning. I have breakfast and the pain returns after a couple of hours. How long is there between eating and digestion?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm not an expert AND everyone's digestion moves at different rates...but in general -

fruit stays in the stomach about 30 minutes to 60 minutes (60 is for banana and the like)

fat stays in there up to three hours, and meat

salad and veggies and stuff not quite as long

As to the intestines, well boy that's just anyone's guess. I think my stomach has fast digestion, but my intestines work more slowly. I think when I use the bathroom, typically it is at least 12 hours but up to 24 hours from when it went into my mouth. That is unless something has gone awry and it's sped up for ill reasons.

I don't really know what to say about the timing of your pains. I tend to feel sick right after eating, if i"m going to feel sick at all. Or I get so hungry I feel like throwing up, but it is not on my side.

Good luck to you.