Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1965kid

Wild Turkey Bourbon Letter From The Company.

Here is what the company wrote me when I asked them if thier bourbon contained Gluten.

Although I am going to stay with Jack Daniels, it is good to know this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding glutens in beverage alcohol products specifically Wild Turkey Bourbon. We have received an approved answer to your question about glutens. Please see information below.

Gluten is a class of proteins found in certain cereals, particularly wheat, rye, barley and oats. They are volatile and, in the production of distilled spirits from such cereals, they are not distilled into the spirit product.

For example, by definition bourbon is produced from an original mash of at least 51% maize. The remaining 49% of the cereal grains in the mash may contain gluten. However, during distillation gluten would remain as part of the spent grains and not on the distillate or finished product. The bottom line is that, by the time the product has undergone distillation, maturation, blending and shipment, there is no gluten present in bourbon.

We would recommend that you contact a physician, as this involves a medical issue also, before consuming any beverage alcohol products.

Best Regards,

Earline

Wild Turkey Bourbon

Consumer Relations

That's a good honest response but remember that some of us will react to gluten grains even if distilled. The first time you try it do it with caution and at a time when you are not taking any other gluten risks. Also be aware that those of us who do react will often become much more intoxicated than normal due to the brain impact so do take that into account if out and about.

That's a good honest response but remember that some of us will react to gluten grains even if distilled.

If the Gluten is removed, and Gluten is what your intolerant of, then how can it affect you?

I really dont understand this. Are you sure its not the alcohol that some are allergic or intolerant to?

I have drank Jack Daniels (Im a semi-heavy drinker, have been all my life) with no problems. I have found that I am allergic to something in Rum and cant drink it. But I have no problem with JD. I am glad to know I can now have Wild Turkey (my brand before going gluten-free) again!

However I have grown quite fond of the taste of JD now and will most likely stick with it.

I was a beer drinker all my life though, and this Celiac has really messed that up! :-)