Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

i'm looking to take some magnesium, but i noticed there's like three different kinds, is there a specific one you should take if the reason is nerve issues? i'm hoping it can help the anxiety/palpitations/jumpyness? what does everybody use? i'm thinking a powdered one would be the best, especially for easy absorption

also, do you think b12 would be a help for THOSE type of things? the thing is, it isn't so much bad fatigue, i feel really wired up and just off...i have obvious other things like vision/balance/memory problems, and almost every b12 symptom, but it seems like a lot of people take it for energy when the thing i'm trying to do is calm my nerves down...but there's such a wide range of symptoms that i'm sure it's beyond normal, just wondering anybodies experience :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I take the regular magnesium tablets, but I'm sure the powder would be fine. I do feel more balanced overall when I take it, that's about the only way I can explain it. I take B12 on and off too, with that I do a sublingual, the absorption is far superior to taking a tablet.

b12 helps with nerve function, magnesium with muscles, from what I've read thusfar, it's a natural muscle relaxer that also helps to maintain muscle health. Both are water soluble, so you're not going to go toxic with them if you take too much.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

With magnesium, part of it is what your body can tolerate and absorb as there are several types of preparation.

I am unable to take some forms like MgSO4 in tablets. Currently I am taking it in a buffered C powder by Thorne, and in a dissolvable powder form called Natural Calm.

Hope this helps.

4/2007 Positive IGA, TTG Enterolab results, with severe malabsorption: Two DQ2 celiac genes--highest possible risk.

gluten-free since 4/22/07; SF since 7/07; 3/08 & 7/08 high sugar levels in stool (i.e. cannot break down carbs) digestive enzymes for carbs didn't help; 7/18/08 started SCD as prescribed by my physician (MD).

10/2000 dx LYME disease; 2008 clinical dx CELIAC; Other: hypothyroid, allergies, dupuytrens, high mercury levels

I use a powdered form of magnesium. Most forms tend to loosen stool when the dosage is high enough. Magnesium Citrate is often regarded as the most effectively absorbed, and magnesium oxide is one of the least absorbed. I'd say I'm definitely less "jumpy" since taking magnesium, thought the muscle pain was the main thing I was aiming at, which it resolved completely.

Here is an article linking magnesium and other things to anxiety/depression/nervousness/etc:

http://www.ctds.info/anxiety_depression.html

As for B12, yes, it does certainly help, at least for me. The methylcobalamin form is the most effective according to the research, and sublingual is also a good idea given the absorption issues so many of us seem to be dealing with.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

thanks for all of the feedback!

i went everywhere and couldn't find sublingual methyl b12, but finally i found a place that had it, and it's 1000mcg so i'm going to take the advice i've seen you say and take 3 a day spaced out

the woman of the store has celiac, and right when i mentioned b12, she said make sure you get methyl so i could tell she knew a lot...they had that natural calm magnesium there! i'm thinking of taking that since i've heard good things about it, and it's a citrate powder...what do you think?

thanks for all of the feedback!

i went everywhere and couldn't find sublingual methyl b12, but finally i found a place that had it, and it's 1000mcg so i'm going to take the advice i've seen you say and take 3 a day spaced out

the woman of the store has celiac, and right when i mentioned b12, she said make sure you get methyl so i could tell she knew a lot...they had that natural calm magnesium there! i'm thinking of taking that since i've heard good things about it, and it's a citrate powder...what do you think?

So glad you found them! Yes, the natural calm is effective. That's actually one of the first I tried, and I only switched because I could dissolve it in water no matter what I did. It also had such a strong citrus taste that I just couldn't bear it. However, I hadn't tried it in orange or other juice, and I suppose it might taste ok that way. Since then I started putting a powdered magnesium in orange or pineapple juice, which tastes fine.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.