Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maddycat

Latortilla Facctory Wraps

I just had my first burrito in almost 2 years and I'm in heaven! These wraps are great! I've tried the brown rice ones before and, blech, they were not to my liking. The LaTortilla Factory ones were 'da bomb'! I felt like I was really eating a burrito- it stayed together, did not crack at all and was pretty tasty!

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So where did you get these wraps? Restaurant? Grocery store? On-line?

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

I got them at a grocery store (it is not a store that I normally shop at, and they only have a very small gluten free section so it was surprising to see something that I had not seen elsewhere).

They are called Smart and Delicious Wraps-Gluten Free/Wheat Free, Ivory Teff.

The basic ingredient list includes: Water, tapioca flour, whole grain ivory teff flour, whole grain millet flour, canola oil, soy lecithin, colloid powder, guar gum, sea salt, honey, baking powder.

They have a website where you can buy them online-

click here for their site.

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Nothing near me so I just ordered online. Haven't tried them before.

Hope you like them, I'm pretty sure you will! :D

Marcia-

Gluten Free since 8/06

Awesome :P !! They have them at a Meijer not far from me :D

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

I've tried them, and thought that they had a very strong, slightly unpleasant flavor. Maybe it's just me...

Did you try the ivory teff or dark teff variety? I had the ivory teff and thought they were very mild tasting, really let the flavors of the filling shine through.

Anyway, I like corn tortillas better.

I love corn too, for tacos, but they just don't hold up for burritos and they are too small.

Marcia-

Gluten Free since 8/06

Here's another link.

Their site also had a store finder. Nothing near me so I just ordered online. Haven't tried them before.

Thanks for the link!!

Nothing within a 500 mile radius for me :rolleyes::lol: The closest store is practically 2 states away.

Did you try the ivory teff or dark teff variety? I had the ivory teff and thought they were very mild tasting, really let the flavors of the filling shine through.

I love corn too, for tacos, but they just don't hold up for burritos and they are too small.

I tried both, and they both tasted unpleasant to me. Must be just me!

I heat the corn tortillas in PAM-ed skillet for a minute on each side, then spread them with something to act as glue (usually cream cheese) before putting anything else on. Then I fold them in half while still warm.

It also helps that there is a Mexican store near me that makes their own corn tortillas. :)

I just had my first burrito in almost 2 years and I'm in heaven! These wraps are great! I've tried the brown rice ones before and, blech, they were not to my liking. The LaTortilla Factory ones were 'da bomb'! I felt like I was really eating a burrito- it stayed together, did not crack at all and was pretty tasty!

I had trouble w/ the brown rice ones too, until exTENsive experimentation produced a method that makes them pliable but not gummy.

<hate the gummy> :angry:

So, for anyone w/ cracking or gummy brown rice torts, here's what works.

There's usually a smooth side and a pebbly side. I wet the pebbly side under running water & put it wet-pebbly-side down on a ppr twl, then just kinda fingerpaint w/ water the top, smooth side.

Current microwave takes 44sec, but prev took 20. <_<

I think it helps to NOT have the often slickly-smooth side down. No space for steam, in my theory. :o;)

Sounds unduly complicated I know! :lol:

Hate the gummy too much to not keep trying different ways.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07