Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hi everyone,

I am very new to all of this. My daughter who is 6 has been gluten free for about 2 to 3 months now. I am having problems coming up with new snacks for her to take to school. I hate sending the same things week after week. I afraid she will get burnt out on eating them all the time. She takes her gluten-free bar, chips,roll ups,fruit, and pudding. If some else came give me some more advice it would really help. We do most of our shopping at Food City. There is a Nature's Pantry but is takes 40 minutes to get to. So name brand foods would help alot.

When you can look back at the end of the day and can find one thing to smile about then you know you have had a GREAT DAY!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi! I'm 16 and pack school lunches every day. Here are some of my staples:

-fruit of all kinds

-salads- have your DD help you make them. They don't even have to be lettuce-based. kids are a lot more open to veggies if they have a lot of choices. some good kid friendly ones are: celery, bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, you can even get creative with things like baby corn, pea pods, etc.

-peanut butter on celery, apples, or rice cakes

-nature valley roasted nut crunch granola bars- these are the only nature calley bars that are safe, they are nuts and seeds only no oats or barley malt

-popcorn

-nuts

-dried fruit

-tortilla chips

-wraps on mission corn tortillas

there have been many threads like this, try searching the archives!

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Guest digmom1014

HAK1013-you said wraps on corn tortillas and mine all but break apart. What do you do to keep the wrap-like consistency?

thanks

Unfortunately I haven't found a way to totally fix this, but here's what I do: I keep them frozen, then thaw them in a skillet on the stove (not in the microwave!) before wrapping them. I also don't wrap them all the way: I fold them kinda like tacos, and then use a toothpick to hold them like that until I'm ready to eat them. It works reasonably well! It also helps to have a fork just in case :P

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Some things my boys like:

Carrots

Raisins

gluten-free cereal in a little baggie

String cheese

Sunflower seeds

gluten-free pretzels

Cucumber slices

Pickles

Jello

Homemade cookies or a brownie

One of my favorite snacks is to roll a mozzarella cheese stick up in deli ham.

You can also make a trail mix with gluten-free pretzels, nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins, and chocolate chips.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

Nut Thins (crackers)

Craisins

Shredded coconut

fruit cups

Glutino brand pretzels

Dora's Cinnamon Stars Cereal (General Mills)

Tortilla Chips

"candy" popcorn ---- don't know the recipe, but I'm sure you could find one....air popped popcorn with a sugar coating (my mom died hers pink with red food dye for us girls)

yogurt

Fruit-a-bu brand fruit snacks

Cool Ranch Doritoes

chocolate chips

mini marshmallows

sunflower seeds, almonds, peanuts, etc

Bananas

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease