Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

soccermom

Lightheaded

I have been reading in a few posts about brain fog and wondering if it is the same as feeling lightheaded. This is the reason I went to the doctor. I was feeling quite lightheaded and wasn't able to drive or work. My doctor did a blood test and I was very anemic. She then tested me for Celiacs because of the anemia but said that being lightheaded wasn't normally a symptom. I have had bowel problems for a few years, first being diagnosed with IBS and then divericulosis. I think it is because of the diverticulosis my symptoms increased as I started eating a high fiber diet, adding lots of whole grains. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone else got lightheaded when they get glutened.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't consider them the same. Brain fog is more the inability to concentrate, to understand written and spoken words, to remember anything. It's a feeling of your mind not working properly. Lightheadedness is different, but certainly still a symptom of celiac. I'd had a lot of trouble walking in a straight line pre-gluten-free. I'd walk down hallways with one hand on the wall to help myself stay straight.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Hi,

I get lightheaded a lot, and I also get brainfog, they are most definitely different. Being lightheaded I have trouble walking up stairs and I kind of feel like I sway when in fact I am completely still. Brainfog is more the inability to concentrate.

I get brainfog when I get glutened but the lightheaded feeling for me is more associated with the ear problems that I have had for some years.

I think that in your case it could be the anemia.

I hope you feel well again soon.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.

Brainfog is very hard to describe but those of us that get it can identify it pretty well. As kbtoyssni said ... its almost like not being in proper control of your body to me... and a generally dissacociative state ... a weird way to describe it many agree is its like an "inbody out of body experience" ... I tend to thinkof myself in the 3rd person almost.. and things just seem to be happening around me that it takes a huge effort to become part of.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)