Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MPARANA

1 1/2 Weeks Gluten Free New Symptoms

I am 1 1/2 weeks into being gluten free. I know have some new symptoms severe constipation, a very increased appetite. I feel like I am constantly hungry. This is making me very nervous.

Thank for any help

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was extremely hungry for quite awhile, until there was enough intestinal healing to absorb more nutrients. I dealt with it by eating a LOT, but I know now that I really should have started some supplements. I eventually did, after which I really began to feel better.

I'd recommend magnesium, which not only assists in nutrient absorption, but will relieve the C. A multi-vitamin may also be a god idea. Of course, make sure these are gluten-free.

I'd guess you likely won't be so hungry as long as I was, given the circumstances, but the hunger is your body telling you it needs nutrients.

Welcome to the board!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I was constantly hungry the first couple of weeks, ate alot, and lost weight. For me I was finally absorbing more nutrients and I wasn't constipated anymore.

Sorry you have C now.

Your symptoms may continue to change. I occasionally get indigestion and D more easily.

I agree with Rice Guy that some supplements may be needed for awhile. I also take magnesium. Also calcium, vit D, vit Bs, and Iron(I am iron deficiency anemic).

Good luck

gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994

wheat free or wheat light- 2003

gluten free- January 2008

Oh no, these symptoms are likely from the diet change and are not a set of symptoms from the celiac disease. The constipation is probably from a combo of new intake of highly processed (and usually unhealthy) gluten-free foods and more intake of fibrous plant foods. The feeling of constant hunger is normal for people getting wheat and sugar out of their diet. These are not things to be alarmed about. You should increase your water intake for your increase in fiber, cut way down on processed gluten-free foods and eat healthy, whole foods (meats, nuts, fruits, veggies, eggs and dairy if tolerated) to your appetite's content. You're in a tough transition period and might notice other things like being really tired or getting headaches. I highly recommend the specific carbohydrate diet when/if you find gluten-free living to help you.

When I officially went gluten free this year (no once in a while cheating anymore) I got REALLY hungrey I felt like I was eating ALL the time and couldn't figure out why. It was also around the same time my doctor did some blood work and I was low in vitamin B12 and started taking B12 vitamins. About a month went by and I was back to my "normal" eating habbits which was nice (scary not knowing why all of a sudden you want to eat eat eat and not feel full).

I take Nature Made Multi Complete, B12 and Super B Complex.

Hope you feel better.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I also experienced C when I was first diagnosed. I was overjoyed to go 3 days without a bowel movement, my PT was less than thrilled. I was also starving and nothing seemed to fill me up. My body was so happy to be able to start absorbing nutrients that it told my brain, more, more, more!!!!

I upped my fiber intake to take care of the C, for me sweet potatoes was the ticket and still is when this occurs. One at dinner would get things moving painlessly the next morning. Sweet potatoes are one of the first things that will be reccommended in oriental medicine to relieve both C and D as they contain both insoluble and soluble fiber.

Both of these reactions are fairly normal and should ease up soon. Your system will take some time to regulate and right now it just doesn't trust that it is really free of the daily poisoning so your body is going to try and hang on to all it can. IMHO. You may want to delete dairy from you diet also for a bit and that will speed the healing.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)