Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elye

My Little Guy's Been Published!

Well, I cannot help myself, I'm just so proud of my young son that I have to share his published letter that he wrote to our local newspaper. Jack wanted to get the word out about his experience eating gluten-free, and I really hope that it's noticed and read by all the parents who are unknowingly dealing with these issues in their own kids.....

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/l...86-b9f3e4dfa43c

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

WOW!!! You should be proud!! What a great article, hopefully it will reach many, many people and help them.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Fabulous! I think it really packs a punch when it comes from an 11 year old! Kids listen to kids too. Wonderful article!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

That's a great article! It's what I wish all celiac articles could be - the mention of the negative tests but positive dietary response, the non-traditional symptoms, and the positive outlook at the end!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

That's a great article! It's what I wish all celiac articles could be - the mention of the negative tests but positive dietary response, the non-traditional symptoms, and the positive outlook at the end!

Yes, exactly! This is why I was SO hoping they would choose to publish it, as it is not only a letter about celiac, but a letter about the surprising, little-known yet all-too-common things about the illness. I only hope that the two paediatricians and the gastro who all said, "Ah...negative blood work...no gastrointestinal symptoms....thriving growth...nope. He has no trouble woth gluten", will see it.

Emily

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

Way to go Jack! Bet he'll have a fan club in no time Emily.

Jack gets the Advocacy Award for the Month. (bronze chin socks) :rolleyes: . Congratulations.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Way to go Jack! Bet he'll have a fan club in no time Emily.

Jack gets the Advocacy Award for the Month. (bronze chin socks) :rolleyes: . Congratulations.

:lol::lol: Lisa!

Emily

how great!!!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

:lol: Lisa! :lol:

Yep--Jack sure wrote a winning article! Very well-rounded and the kind of publicity that we need--lot of people and kids will be able to relate :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I'm proud of him and he's not even mine. You deserve to show his article off.

Dyan

Daughter, 12, Celiac disease dx by blood test, no biospy. Severe tree nut allergies.

Son, 10, eczema since birth practically. No food allergies. Asthma

Son, 7, severe tree nut allergies, and asthma.

Husband has A LOT of Celiac symtoms but will not get tested. (Fool)

Me, I am waiting for my blood work to come back, but I have zero symtoms.

Congrats! it's really great.

Does he plan on more writing? He did great!

\

Well, I cannot help myself, I'm just so proud of my young son that I have to share his published letter that he wrote to our local newspaper. Jack wanted to get the word out about his experience eating gluten-free, and I really hope that it's noticed and read by all the parents who are unknowingly dealing with these issues in their own kids.....

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/l...86-b9f3e4dfa43c

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

That's great! You have every reason to be proud. He did a fantastic job writing his letter.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Good for him! Very well written. Let me suggest that you print out copies (making sure to show that it was a published letter) and mail them to all the clueless doctors with explicit instructions that it is to be included in his file! ;)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Good for him! Very well written. Let me suggest that you print out copies (making sure to show that it was a published letter) and mail them to all the clueless doctors with explicit instructions that it is to be included in his file! ;)

That's a fantastic idea! ;)

Patti

This young man has a future as a journalist. His letter was very well written and brought up some very important points in a short, concise easy to understand manner. Great work.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

This young man has a future as a journalist. His letter was very well written and brought up some very important points in a short, concise easy to understand manner. Great work.

:):) I've just shown Jack all of your responses. What a thrill for a boy to get such praise! Especially since he hasn't had it easy the last couple of years - - his health, and bullying issues. This is just what he needed!

Emily

:):) I've just shown Jack all of your responses. What a thrill for a boy to get such praise! Especially since he hasn't had it easy the last couple of years - - his health, and bullying issues. This is just what he needed!

:D

Patti

You have every reason to be proud of your son, he sounds like an amazing kid. My oldest daughter lives in Kanata (for anybody who doesn't know, it is part of Ottawa). She and her five children are all gluten-free without any testing, with great results for most of them. I e-mailed her a link to your son's letter.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------