Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ursa Major

I Found Awesome Buckwheat Bread In Ottawa

I was in Ottawa again last weekend (yes, I've been travelling way too much lately, and I'm exhausted), and on my way back onto the highway on Sunday on my way to cousins in Pembroke I stopped by the Natural Foods store in Kanata (the part of Ottawa my daughter lives in), because it is very large and has an awesome, huge gluten-free section (the best I have seen anywhere, even Germany).

I couldn't believe my eyes when I found buckwheat bread! I haven't had any since being in Germany last summer and really missed it. In the hopes that it was good, I bought four loaves (some to put in the freezer).

It isn't quite as nice as the German brands. But it is really decent, and MUCH better than the other gross gluten-free breads (which I usually refuse to eat).

The only ingredients are (and they are all certified organic) buckwheat flour, deep well water, millet, ground flax seeds, unrefined olive oil, buckwheat sourdough culture, unrefined sea salt (may contain traces of sunflower and sesame seeds).

The bakery is located in Perth, Ontario. They do ship to some US states not too far from them across the border.

Here is their website address: Little Stream Bakery

They produce wheat products as well, but explain how they make sure that the bread isn't cross contaminated, and that they have many customers who are extremely sensitive to gluten and they haven't had a complaint. So, anybody who eats this needs to be aware of that.

It is a very small company, and I encourage you to go through all their provided links before you make up your minds one way or the other.

I don't think I have reacted to the bread as such, just that I pigged out on it :huh: would have been a bad thing for me, due to not being able to tolerate too many carbs in general.

I will try to get somebody here in my little town to carry it. I think my bulk food store owner, who tries really hard to please her gluten intolerant customers, is my best bet.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dear Ursa, Thanks for the information. I am in the USA, so would have to order 12 loaves. I wonder if any stores carry it in Windsor, Ontario. My Mom will be coming up from Florida to Michigan and then goes across the border to Windsor to visit relatives. My husband picked up a buckwheat pancake mix somewhere that is delicious. I just used it to coat morel mushrooms and fried them in butter and they tasted like the gluten version I remember eating. I am trying to figure out where he bought it so I can buy more. This mix was made in Australia. I don't eat much gluten free bread because it doesn't taste too good to me. I don't mind a grilled cheese once in awhile, but hardly eat it. Wendy