Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hmw521

Symptoms Of Eating Gluten

I was wondering about the symptoms other people get when they accidentally eat gluten. I accidentally ate gluten on Sunday (it's now Wednesday) and I am still really bloated and gassy, and I am retaining water all over my body. It is very uncomfortable because it makes my pants feel tight. Sometimes I feel like I am crazy because it takes me quite a while to recover from getting gluten accidentally and even after I feel mostly better I am sensitive to a lot of other foods. Does anyone else have similar experiences or know anything about how to speed the recovery process after eating gluten accidentally? I usually do an all-fruit diet and that usually helps after 2 days, but this time I have been doing it since monday and I am som better but not completely. Thanks.

Hilah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Whenever I ate gluten I got really bad stomach pains/cramps and had to go to the bathroom A LOT. I didn't really notice bloating when I ate gluten (or was not aware it was happening) but I do get really bloated when I eat something with tapioca flour/starch in it and I stay bloated for about a week. Its almost like you need to have some pants/bottoms for times like this. <_< errrr

Some people don't get symptoms for a couple hours or the next day or two -- I use to get them right away (most of the time). It varies per person how long your symptoms will last. Depending on what I ate my symptoms would be there anywhere from 2-3 hours to a week.

I drink a lot of liquids. If I am out of the house and don't feel well still I have an Altoid (gluten free ones) or a sucker (gluten free like dum dums or blow pops) and it helps some but not all the way (mints seem to help me more). Sometimes I use a heating pad on my stomach or take a bath and put in Epson Salt.

Depending how far along you are on the gluten free diet you might want to watch out if you are eating/drinking milk products. Your stomach is still healing and some people cannot have milk and/or soy in the beginning (re-introduce later).

Good Luck. Hope you feel better.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

The two main things gluten does to me is make cystic acne type breakouts on my face. They are painful, deep, itchy sore and I recognize them immediately. I call that "I got glutened stage 1"

If I get even worse glutened the next thing that happens is my gums begin to bleed and get sores. I have no idea why this happens to me, it doesnt seem to be a very common reaction but its somehow related to the sores i get on my skin. The gum thing is really painful, sometimes my whole mouth aches. I forever thought I had "chronic gingivitis" and was always going to dentists and what not, never understanding why, I flossed, I brushed, I used mouthwashes, etc. I finally connected it to gluten was just like "AAAHHHHHH!" I knew there had to be a reason.

The next thing about being glutened, is what I like to call "stage 3, an overall feeling of yuckiness" This sometimes occurs with the first two stages right away, and other times it seems to take being glutened a bit worse. I feel depressed, irritable, like a weird dark cloud is hanging over me, and I have no energy..just very very blah.

If I actually EAT a lot of gluten (something that will never happen again but I know this from the past), such as actually just chowing down on a whole wheat sandwich or something, then, I get these horrible stabbing pains as the gluten makes its way through my system. I guess they might be gas pains of some sort. I just get real gassy and bloated and its quite painful. I also notice I become sort of constipated which is odd because a lot of people have the opposite problem.

Im sure there are other things it was doing to me I wasnt even aware of or havent connected yet.

Yuck! Never again.