Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmcbride4291

Need Research Information

There was a posting where someone told me of a case of celiac being positivly diagnosed through biopsy however it turned out that mold caused this. Once mold gone then gluten intolerance with it.My house where I rent is Mold infested in basement. Everyone who enters or especially who lives here gets sick. Even my cat is throwing up. There has been records of mold causing intolerance to gluten. Does anyone have this information or where I could research to get it? Is it Columbia university? Don't they research celiac disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't have any specific sites but will suggest that you google celiac and mold. Mold might cause similar symptoms but I don't think it would destroy villi. You could of course, have both issues going on and the autoimmune process involved with celiac might even give you more severe symptms from the mold. Once you clear up the mold don't be too quick to assume it was the cause of your celiac. If you add gluten back in it may take it a while to 'catch up' if you have been gluten-free for a while. So do keep that in mind if and when symptoms reappear.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Curiosity got me and I did a search, I was surprised by one thing that I found that may be of significance. It may not be that the gluten intolerance was caused by the mold but more that the two are found together. I will look into this more when I get some time, it does peek my interest a bit.

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/index.php?o...2&Itemid=80

"Quite interestingly, the genes for celiac disease/gluten intolerance have a significant overlap with the mold genotypes (e.g., DQ2 accounts for 90% of individuals diagnosed with traditional celiac disease). Thus, many individuals with a mold illness may be initially diagnosed only as having gluten intolerance, yet they never fully recover on a gluten-free diet alone. Coincidentally, the low amylose diet recommended as part of the treatment protocol is naturally a gluten-free diet."

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)