Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am in my second week and I have some odd things happening. I had my hair dyed the other day and I felt very effected by the chemicals. This had happened years agao but has been gone for a while. Can withdrawal cause you to be extra sensitive to other chemicals? I have also been having some depression, anxiety and sleeping issues with nightmares. Has anyone else gone through this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am in my second week and I have some odd things happening. I had my hair dyed the other day and I felt very effected by the chemicals. This had happened years agao but has been gone for a while. Can withdrawal cause you to be extra sensitive to other chemicals? I have also been having some depression, anxiety and sleeping issues with nightmares. Has anyone else gone through this?

I would check into the ingredients of your hair dye.

I know that the digestive issues clear up faster than the neurological ones. I would revisit anything that can get into your mouth and cross contamination just to insure that you are not getting any gluten. It's very hard to be totally 100% gluten free when beginning the diets because there is just way tooooo much to learn.

Yes, there is such a things as gluten withdrawal. It takes a while for your body to adjust.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Yes. It seems that cleaning out your system like this makes you either much more in tune with your body or just sensitizes you to chemicals. Sometimes going gluten-free cleans up your diet majorly, many go organic and whole food as well so you get a decent amount of detoxing from this I believe. It is a good thing that you are becoming more sensitive to dangers in your environment. There are natural haircolors you can get.

Before I went gluten free chemicals used to really bother me, hair dyes, nail polish, cleaning liquid, perfume pretty much anything used to give me a migraine and nausea. I have found that this got worse when I went gluten lite but completely went away once I went gluten free.

It could be that your sensitivity is a symptom of the celiac disease and it may go away after you have been gluten-free for a while longer.

Australian

Gluten Free Since mid March 2008

As well as gluten I can't eat: cantaloupe, honeydew, dairy and most nuts and seeds. I also seem to have a problem with a lot of fruits and vegetables but only when they are raw.