• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

newg

Mimi's Cafe

Rate this topic

Hello! Do any of you know if Mimis Cafe is Safe? I see they have a lot of salads and was wondering if any of you have eaten there before?

I e-mailed them and asked, the person that replied said there was an attachment to the e-mail with their gluten free menu but I didn't see one anywhere. I haven't had time to re-write to them but they do have a gluten free menu.

I grew up in Southern California so I was wanting to find out for when we go to visit my parents.

I have a Mimi's near me and have not gotten sick there. I received an email from them also, it was pretty long. You can also get one when you go there. It is really helpful and basically says in the beginning paragraph that some people are more sensitive than others, and they realize that, and if you need them to use a different pan or cut fresh fruit for you, they will. I believe that most of their food is assembled there, because I have made numerous substitutions and omissions, and still not gotten sick there.

I would like to say though, I'm sure it varies from place to place as to what kind of people are working on your food. I think that at mine, the people tend to be pretty conscientious.

I went to the Mimi's near Magic Mountain and didn't get sick. They say they have a gluten free menu but they gave me a

low carb menu. I told the waitress I wanted the gluten-free menu she told me they didn't have one. I told her yes you do. I

showed her my Triumph dining book. I had her ask the manager. She told me well there is one of the website. I had to

ask her to have the manager print it out. So other than the waitress and the manager being a little clueless at first. I was

able to eat with no issues.

i just looked on their website, and couldn't find it. but i seem to remember either seeing a menu, or maybe getting a fax of their gluten-free menu. i keep meaning to go over and try, have heard lots of good reviews (from gluten-free eaters and non alike). anyone have any favorites to recommend?

Hello! Do any of you know if Mimis Cafe is Safe? I see they have a lot of salads and was wondering if any of you have eaten there before?

I also have emailed Mimi's Cafe, and they sent me a long email back explaining what was safe and what I shoud avoid. This information is not readily available on their website. When I go, I often get Chicken Tacos. These are no longer on the menu, but they still make them if you request. The chicken must be broiled (not blackened). Of coure I order corn tortillas and avoid the chipotle sauce. I often order from the breakfast menu (eggs ect.)

I recently went to a Mimi's in Bakersfield, Ca and they were AWESOME! My favorite mean pre- dx was the blackened chicken tacos, so I was thrilled to see that I could still have them. I asked the waiter if he knew about gluten free items, he then got a manager who came and looked up everything in the ingredients book. When everything checked out with the tacos (blackened is fine and the salsas are fine), they cooked my food seperately and safely and were super polite and understanding. The manager said they teach all of their employees about allergies and how to correctly serve costumers with special needs. I HIGHLY recommend them! :D

There is a Mimi's Cafe in Beavercreek, Ohio at The Greene and they are very tasty. I have not been back since I went gluten free but they will send you an e-mail attachment with gluten-free menu items. They are so detailed they even tell you how to order things (broiled not blackened, corn tortillas for flour, subs on sauces, etc.). I am compiling a binder with menus and informative e-mails from restaurants with gluten-free offerings so that I am armed and dangerous when I go out to eat.

Others at the Greene at Bar Louie (gluten-free menu), Mongolian BBQ (two gluten-free sauces and lots of fresh ingredients, they are willing to clean and sanitize woks), McCormick's and Schmick's (got a VERY nice from the manager PERSONALLY assuring me they could do almost everything gluten-free; their menu changes daily and they have tons of fresh things).

Try Mimi's, you will not be disappointed. Like I said, though, I go with print-outs just in case.

Oooo, this is GOOD news! Mimi's was one of my new favorites before my dx....so it's GOOD to know that I can still eat there without too much drama. :D

Their Chinese Chicken salad dressing is yummy! Ask for it (without croutons) on any salad. Their signature pot roast is also fantastic. Ask for it without the gravy and you are good to go. I've eaten there since diagnosed 15 years ago and have yet to get ill. Another favorite is a quesadilla made with corn tortillas. Yum!

I went to the Mimi's in Yorba Linda yesterday evening, and they were very accommodating! They gave me a gluten-free menu along with a complete allergen list. I ordered the atlantic salmon with steamed broccoli and potatoes. The server was very understanding, and spoke with her manager to ensure that my food would be cooked safely. It was tasty, and didn't affect me at all. 

5 minutes ago, araedne said:

I went to the Mimi's in Yorba Linda yesterday evening, and they were very accommodating! They gave me a gluten-free menu along with a complete allergen list. I ordered the atlantic salmon with steamed broccoli and potatoes. The server was very understanding, and spoke with her manager to ensure that my food would be cooked safely. It was tasty, and didn't affect me at all. 

Nice to hear, that in the 8 years since these posts were made, Mimi's has an understanding of gluten free