Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canuckchick

Test Results Confusions

Hi there,

After my sister was diagnosed with celiac, I cut out gluten for 10 days as part of a cleanse and felt much better. So I went back to wheat for 5 days, and my doctor ordered blood tests. She would only test for ttG and IgA as she said the rest were outdated or something (which isn't what the general consensus on this forum seems to be).

My ttg results were low (only 2) but my total IgA results were also low (0.88, and the sheet said that normal range was 0.9 - 5.5 g/L). My ferratin was also low (10), though my hemoglobin is ok. Other things (B12, folate, thyroid) are fine.

So I understand that low IgA can lead to a false negative on ttg, but based on the fact that my IgA is basically only at the low end of normal, rather than non-existent, I'm not sure if that's really a factor.

Sooooo.... I don't know. I have been gluten-free for about a month now, and while I wouldn't say that all my symptoms have cleared up (wouldn't that have been nice, a simple all-in-one solution like that), I do feel better overall. Even better, it has been a powerful kick in the pants to get more conscious about what goes into my body, and it has led me to better nutrition than I have probably ever experienced.

I think my approach is just to stick with the gluten-free for a while longer, and then challenge to see how I feel.

Any other thoughts from people? Should I go back to gluten and then request the full panel? Is it possible that if I did have elevated ttg levels, those 10 days off wheat could have dropped them that low, and that 5 days back on wasn't enough to bring them back up? (seems unlikely to me)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I would think that your approach of going completely gluten-free, then doing a challenge, is the best one. Tests give results that, when compared to the average population, are probably correct. A gluten challenge after a month or so gluten-free will test your body specifically. It's really the best way.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

My ttg results were low (only 2) but my total IgA results were also low (0.88, and the sheet said that normal range was 0.9 - 5.5 g/L). My ferratin was also low (10), though my hemoglobin is ok. Other things (B12, folate, thyroid) are fine.

So I understand that low IgA can lead to a false negative on ttg, but based on the fact that my IgA is basically only at the low end of normal, rather than non-existent, I'm not sure if that's really a factor.

Ello,

It looks to me as if you may be one of the IgA deficients. If the normal range is .9 and you're .88....I would do a bit of research on IgA defiencies. It would be quite important to know because if you are, and would ever need a blood transfusion or organ transplant, that would be taken into consideration because your body may react badly to blood that is NOT IgA deficient. You could also be one of the rare people that forms an antibody against IgA and in that case, you'd be attacking blood that's given to you.

I'd give you links but they're on the other computer.

I def. recomend doing your research though.

Cheers!

4/30/2008 Went Gluten Free

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0202

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

3/19/2009 11 Months Gluten Free:Gluten Sensitivity Stool Test

Fecal Anti-gliadin IgA 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

You can upload all your links (favourites) onto google bookmarks. i have google toolbar installed both in IE and firefox and you put in the button for google bookmarks there. That way you have access to your bookmarks from different places.

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)