Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aileendq

Boston/london

Hi all,

I'm new here. I live just shy of Boston, MA, (Brookline) and I was wondering if there are any Celiac groups close to home. Also- is there a comprehensive list anywhere with retailers that carry gluten-free food/beverages?

On a side note, I am contemplating a trip to the UK (London) in September. Can anyone suggest travel tips for a Celiac and/or placed to dine in London that are Celiac-friendly?

Thank you in advance!

PS: Oops- I just realized these boards already exist. My bad! I'll look there.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi all,

I'm new here. I live just shy of Boston, MA, (Brookline) and I was wondering if there are any Celiac groups close to home. Also- is there a comprehensive list anywhere with retailers that carry gluten-free food/beverages?

On a side note, I am contemplating a trip to the UK (London) in September. Can anyone suggest travel tips for a Celiac and/or placed to dine in London that are Celiac-friendly?

Thank you in advance!

I'm from the UK, so for London,

Personally, I've never been to resturant that wont cater for me... Maybe in "posh" resturants they may not alter their dishes for freaks like us. But honestly, never had a problem anywhere.

Supermarkets, the 2 biggest are Sainsburys and Tesco, they both have really good Coeliac/Free from ranges, so no problem for things like bread and biscuits... everything.

Have a search around on the internet. You will find Gluten free hotels in london aswell.

Make some sandwiches before the flight aswell. Just incase those Gluten free "aerospace" meals aren't quite as tasty as you thought they might be!

Born 1988, almost died early 1989 due to weight loss, finally diagnosed just before my 1st b'day.

Perfecto now! It's easy when you know how!! :-D

Hi Aileen,

Definitely go to London! I'm just back in the US after living in London for a year. gluten-free life is just easier in the UK, and there are lots of Celiac-friendly options in London...

Harri's right, the big supermarket's all have gluten-free sections, and I was a fan of Waitrose, which has a handful of locations around the city. Check out the Orgran brand at Waitrose (it's Australian and I haven't been able to find it in the US so far). Also, Mark's and Spencer Simply Foods (all over town) is great for lunch - all the food is their own brand and they label allergens very thoroughly. You can pick up fresh fruit and a salad for lunch. I think there are 2 or 3 that are gluten-free, but I stuck to the Tomato and Avocado.

As far as restaurants...

Greens & Beans Cafe, Drummond Street (2 min walk from Euston Station) has gluten-free menu items like pasta/pizza. I ate there regularly, they are very understanding, and I never had a problem. They also have take-away food, but are only open until about 5

Food For Thought, Neal Street (I believe) in Covent Garden - a take-away lunch kind of place. They're very vegan/allergy oriented and always have gluten-free options

Rasa, Charlotte Street (north of Oxford Street in Fitzrovia) - Indian food; I never got to eat here, but always meant to, since I've read that they are aware of Celiac and able to deal with it

Yo Sushi chain, tons of locations - my favorite place! Their website has a full allergen listing; many dishes contain gluten, but there are also lots of gluten-free options - I always got Edamame, Cucumber Maki and Smoked Salmon and Chive Maki.

The River Cafe - a London classic, Italian. They marked up my menu to show me what I could/could not eat. But the cooking is so simple and seasonal that most dishes didn't need modification. It's very expensive though, so a good idea might be just going for dessert - they usually have a gluten-free sorbet.

There are many others, as London's got so much to offer. And hit the pub, cider is gluten-free...

Hi all,

Thank you in advance!

Gluten-free since 9/07

I know two gluten-free resturants in London -

The Mermaid, in Leicester Square, does Fish and Chips in gluten-free batter - and it's lovely.

In the O2 Dome, in Greenwich, there's a sausage cafe, that actually does two different kinds of gluten-free sausage - and also does dairy free mash

Any Wetherspoons (usually got moon in the title - there's a Moon Under Water in Leicester Square) marks what on their menu is gluten-free.