Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

Looking For gluten-free Restaurants, Bakeries, And Stores That Have gluten-free Products In Hartford Connecticutt

I will be visiting Hartford CT in June for a weekend. So far I've found Carrabba's, Aleia's, and Ion Restaurant (vegetarian) with gluten free menus and I'm hoping knowledgeable waitstaffs. I'm so terrified of being contaminated because I just started this diet a little over a month ago. I also know Aleia's has a gluten free bakery. Any other places to try or look into? Also, are there any good stores to buy gluten-free goodies in case I'm hungry in between. I plan on bringing some snack foods in a cooler and in my bag as well to snack on in between. I'm also bringing my cereal for breakfast and will pick up Lactaid milk. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Whole foods is onbviously good, there two in west hartford, and I've been to the above store (it's actually owned by one of my former teachers who is also celiac! it's 10 minutes from me) and it's small but good. They have prepared gluten-free food that I haven't tried yet. Those are both 20 mins or so outside of hartfors, as are carraba's and outback. There's a good sushi restaurant in Bloomfield, also about 20 mins, called Ginza, that has wheat-free soy sauce and is accomodating.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

The "Eggs Up Grill" in Portland, CT (across the CT river from Middletown, south of Hartford) is run by a celiac.

Morton's (the steakhouse chain) doesn't advertise it but they do have a gluten-free menu - at least they do at their Stamford CT branch, and there is a branch in Hartford.

Depending on budget, if you can't make it to a restaurant with an explicit gluten-free menu, 'white table cloth' (more $) or small 'healthy' (less $) restaurants are your best bet, since they usually make everything from scratch and are focused on making the customer happy no matter the request.

Happy travels!

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

I was in West Hartford, CT this past weekend and had the best gluten free meal. The restaurant is called Simmer Grille. You can do a search on the internet for the address...

The executive chef, Brett is an amazing chef and knows all about the gluten free diet. I recommended that he advertise the fact that he can prepare most of his dishes gluten free.

This is my first posting but after the wonderful meal I had there, I had to put my 2 cents in......

I never knew that about Simmer! my stepsister used to work there, I should try it out! thanks :)

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

I was in West Hartford, CT this past weekend and had the best gluten free meal.

Simmer Grille The executive chef, Brett is an amazing chef and knows all about the gluten free diet.

I never knew that about Simmer! my stepsister used to work there, I should try it out! thanks :)

I never knew either, thanks ultichick!!

gluten-free (except unintentionally) from 7 Dec 2007

3 gluten-free cousins and counting (1 gold standard, 1 pos blood/no endo, 1 self/dietary diagnosed)

suspect mother was celiac (also, cousin suspects my mother's twin is celiac)

Feb 08 testing 'normal range' for gluten antibodies, IBD and food allergies

Staying off gluten - dietary reaction is compelling for me!

"Hi, I'm the gluten-free diner at your table."

http://www.glutenfreeregistry.com/gluten-f...rch.do?state=CA

check this site out, click on the map view link and select your state.

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.