Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My dd was diagnosed by biopsy on Thursday, the doctor said no more ketchup and is setting us up with a dietician. What ingredient in ketchup has gluten and are there any gluten free brands??? Thanks for the help and keeping my panic at bay.

DD diagnosed Celiac by biopsy May 2008 at 7 years old.

DD diagnosed with Asthma November 2009 at 8 years old.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the forum!

About the ketchup... Of all things, what a random thing to warn about. :huh: Hunts ketchup is NOT safe. Heinz and Wal-mart brand ARE safe.

Don't panic! It's going to seem difficult and overwhelming at first, but I promise you, this diet gets easier with time.

A couple highlights...

Read the ingredients on EVERYTHING. Gluten can be in things you'd never think of, such as ice cream, soup, sauces, seasoning mixes, canned chicken, seasoned rice mixes... anything. Click here for a few useful lists of safe an unsafe foods.

Gluten can also be found in medications, vitamins, lip balm, shampoo, makeup, and toothpaste. For those things, you'll need to call the company or check their website. This website can be helpful: www.glutenfreedrugs.com

gluten-free foods can easily be contaminated by gluten. Plastic collanders are notorious for getting gluten caught in the holes. You'll need to buy a separate toaster for gluten-free breads. Wooden spoons that have been used for gluten cooking cannot be used for gluten-free cooking. Restaurant french fries cooked in the same oil as breaded foods will be contaminated.

Gluten free bread's taste and texture is much improved by toasting.

Whole Foods can be your friend-- but resist the urge to buy every gluten-free item they carry. Half or more of it will get tossed. Try a few things at a time and don't rush it. A few things at Whole Foods that we love:

- Tinkyada Brown Rice pasta. This is our absolute favorite gluten-free pasta! It's easy to cook and has a great texture.

- Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix. I make a ton of pancakes at once and freeze.

- Gluten-Free Pantry Brownie Mix. Our favorite gluten-free brownies. Also available at many Wal-marts for cheaper.

- 365 Brand Cosmic Cocoas. Cocoa Puffs type cereal.

- gluten-free alternative flours-- rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour. Also can be found at Asian grocery stores for much cheaper.

- Xanthan gum. Used as a binder for gluten-free baking. Add as recipe indicates, or 1 tsp. per cup of gluten-free flour.

- If you prefer to try a bread mix, Pamela's Amazing Gluten free/Wheat free Bread Mix is quite good.

- Kinnikkinick Bread. In the frozen section. We think this is the best premade gluten-free bread.

- Kinnikkinick and Gluten Free Pantry pizza crusts, both in the frozen section. Good premade pizza crusts.

- Glutino gluten-free Pretzels. Taste just like regular.

Most cheeses are ok, except blue/bleu cheese. Deli meats often have gluten! Each one needs to be checked. Boar's Head deli meats are all safe.

We like Jif and Wal-mart brands of peanut butter. Smuckers jams and jellies are safe.

For cereals, there are only a few mainstream ones that are safe: Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Pebbles, Trix, Dora the Explorer Cinnamon Stars, and Disney Little Einstein. Rice Chex have JUST become gluten free. Some of the older boxes still contain gluten, so check the box.

Things that sound safe, often aren't-- like Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes. Always read the label.

I hope your appt with the dietician goes well. Stick around-- I think this is the best place to learn how to live with this disease and the diet!!!

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

My dd was diagnosed by biopsy on Thursday, the doctor said no more ketchup and is setting us up with a dietician. What ingredient in ketchup has gluten and are there any gluten free brands??? Thanks for the help and keeping my panic at bay.

What kind of symptoms did your daughter have?? My daughter's only symptom was acid reflux and I know if she has too much ketchup, it will set off her reflux - has nothing to do with gluten, though. If I didn't know different, I might wonder if she had got ahold of gluten somewhere and instead, she just OD'd on the ketchup. She's to the point now where she recognizes when she's had enough ketchup.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

i thought huntz was gluten-free? it was on their list for that, and conagra is supposed to be good at labeling....or is this not true any longer?

From Hunts' website:

Q: Which Hunt's tomato products contain gluten? Do you have a list of products that contain gluten?

A: Most Hunt's tomato products are gluten-free. The exceptions include Hunt's Ketchup and Barbecue Sauce, which contain distilled vinegar made from wheat or corn and may contain trace amounts of these grains. Therefore, they are not gluten-free.

Janet

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

animal0028.gif

isn't distilled supposed to make it fine though?

Yes, distilled vinegar is safe. It sounds like a CYA statement.

Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.

Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Yes, distilled vinegar is safe. It sounds like a CYA statement.

I have to agree with this, unless you are super sensitive to distilled grain based products. There is still a lot of old information out there that makes things very confusing. It wasn't too long ago that all vinegar was considered unsafe.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm sure I will be posting lots in here for all kinds of crazy questions that are popping up. Also thanks for the product suggestions, I walked out of WalMart the other day with only rice flour and potato flour (and I have no idea how to use either).

DD diagnosed Celiac by biopsy May 2008 at 7 years old.

DD diagnosed with Asthma November 2009 at 8 years old.

Thanks so much for all of your help. I'm sure I will be posting lots in here for all kinds of crazy questions that are popping up. Also thanks for the product suggestions, I walked out of WalMart the other day with only rice flour and potato flour (and I have no idea how to use either).

Do your research online and you will quickly find all sorts of info out there. Ask Borders or another book store and there are several gluten free cook books out there as well. I have found these especially helpful for baking, since they suggests which types of gluten free flours to mix together depending on what you are making. There are also lots of great gluten free baking mixes for pancakes, waffles, pizza crusts, breads, cakes, etc... Trial and error is about the only way to find the one's that taste the best. There are a few great sites to shop for gluten free food online too. Beth