Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

withnail69

Burning Sensation When Swallowing Hot Food....

sometimes the first mouthful of a meal burns my throat on the way down and it is an intense nasty feeling that lasts about 3-5 seconds. It can be doused by drinking liquid which quickly gets rid of it and then for the rest of the meal I am usually ok. Anyone else know what I am talking about?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've never heard of that, but what happens if you drink something first? Is it the same for hot or cold foods, sweet or spicy? Any difference for items which are fatty, liquid, dry, anything?

How long does it take to return once you've finished eating?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

it doesn't seem to return. Its just when the first or first couple of mouthfuls go down. it doesn't seem to make a difference what the food is. But before I gave up normal bread that could be really bad but nowadays any hot food can do it

Are you saying that cold foods are less of a problem?

It sounds to me like the nerves in your esophagus are over-sensitive, or the lining of the esophagus is thin. I had that in my nose, and I notices dairy tended to make it worse (nosebleeds). I got much improvement once I started taking a sublingual methylcobalamin (vitamin B12). Research suggests this is the best form to take. Try to get at least 3mg per day, though since the body can't utilize more than approx 5mg per day, any more than that would likely be a waste of money. And of course be sure it's gluten-free. Source Naturals and Freeda both make gluten-free B12, but make sure it is sublingual (dissolves under the tongue).

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I had that happen to me also...Anything that was hot had to be cooled off, coffee and tea had to be at room temperature. Eventually, I developed thrush, which was all due to candida overgrowth. It took over my entire body. My ND dr tested me and found that I had 9 strains of fungal overgrowth. Maybe it is something that you can look into. After I was feeling better, and went to my regular MD, he agreed that it was due to fungal overgrowth....Can you imagine that? A regular MD and a ND agreeing?? :D

I had that happen to me also...Anything that was hot had to be cooled off, coffee and tea had to be at room temperature. Eventually, I developed thrush, which was all due to candida overgrowth. It took over my entire body. My ND dr tested me and found that I had 9 strains of fungal overgrowth. Maybe it is something that you can look into. After I was feeling better, and went to my regular MD, he agreed that it was due to fungal overgrowth....Can you imagine that? A regular MD and a ND agreeing?? :D

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't considered that possibility.