Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyria

Microwave Popcorn

Does anyone regularly eat, or know if any mainstream brands of microwave popcorn (Act II, Orville Redenbacher, Pop Secret, ect.) are safe? They all look ok, but list "natural flavoring" in the ingredients, and I'm always wary about that. None of their websites have any gluten-free or allergen information. I know air popped is healthier than microwave popcorn, and that's how I've been eating popcorn for the last year and a half, but I grew up eating microwave popcorn and I'm really craving it. Help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

you can use regular popcorn in a brown paper bag, staple it twice (at least three inches apart) and microwave until you hear the popping die down (depends on the microwave... play with it...).

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I use Act II microwave popcorn. We also have a air popper and use Orville Redenbacher's popping corn (made by ConAgra Foods -- they are good about labling).

I believe Newman's Own and Pop Secret have some that are gluten free.

Here is a website that shows companies that will list gluten if present in the ingredients:

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

:)

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

I regularly eat Pop Weaver Extra Butter. It's very inexpensive at Walmart. I only pop it about

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

I like making popcorn on the stove, so the corn is just corn, and no chemicals or other junk. As I understand it, the bags used for microwave popcorn have some sort of chemical coating the inside, and it is known to be unhealthy (I don't recall what the health effects are). I'd suggest you Google "popcorn lung" before you decide to eat microwave popcorn. Supposedly the manufacturers are changing to some other chemical or something, but if history tells us anything, it is likely to backfire in some way.

Incidentally, rice bran oil or coconut oil are really wonderful for making popcorn. Macadamia nut oil is yummy too, but expensive.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.