Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i tried some home-made halva (made of: tahini, honey, and pistachios) the other day from farmer's market and i reacted to it. does anybody react to tahini? or was it just cross-contamination?

No tahini is completely safe. There are some brands here that have tahini + honey and they do have maltodextrine, so I am only talking about tahini that is pure sesame. That last one is completely safe at least in Greece. I have asked the company and I have their answer, but still that is for greece.

Hope you didn't react very bad.......

Meline

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

From a farmer's market probably means made in a home kitchen which is not gluten free. I'd vote for CC . . .or, yeah, reaction to the sesames or the pistachios.

Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4

Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07

A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods

Celiac panel came back negative.

Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.

Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

The tahini I used to buy is pure sesame paste (Ziyad Brand, All Natural Tahini), but it also cautions that it was packed in a facility that processes wheat. So, you could be reacting to CC.

Can anyone suggest a brand that has no CC? I love humus and have always made it homemade. All my other ingredients are gluten free.

Hi Meline, Hope you are doing fine these days! Nice to see you back here.

Health food stores have Tahini butter which is only sesame and completely safe.

great when used in salad dressings and fruit salads!

No tahini is completely safe. There are some brands here that have tahini + honey and they do have maltodextrine, so I am only talking about tahini that is pure sesame. That last one is completely safe at least in Greece. I have asked the company and I have their answer, but still that is for greece.

Hope you didn't react very bad.......

Meline

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

The tahini I used to buy is pure sesame paste (Ziyad Brand, All Natural Tahini), but it also cautions that it was packed in a facility that processes wheat. So, you could be reacting to CC.

Can anyone suggest a brand that has no CC? I love humus and have always made it homemade. All my other ingredients are gluten free.

I've never had a reaction to Ziyad brand Tahini. But I don't repeat the same protein source for at least 2-3 days (preferably 4 days, like the allergists recommend) since it seems like my autoimmune system is fighting most protein sources these days when eaten repeatedly.

It could be cc though, maybe I just got lucky with the jar I bought. Even in the Indian grocery stores their tahini says that they process wheat and other allergins in the same factory or on the same lines. :ph34r:

I love hummus, just make it in smaller batches now and share it with neighbors, saving a little stash for myself for a few days later. The neighbors have responded with gifts of fresh lettuce and other cool things, so it's all been good. :)

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.