Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

Can Dh Go Away On Its Own?

My 2.5 yr old daughter was diagnosed with celiac (by endoscopy, never had DH) about 2 months ago. She's been gluten free since and hasn't had any problems. This afternoon she broke out with a dark pink/red, itchy symmetrical rash on her arms, knees, thighs, and groin areas. She was crying in what seemed like pain, but could have been really bad itching It is mostly gone now, except for a few spots on her wrists and a few patches on the back of her thighs. Could this be DH, or more likely it was an allergic reaction to something else? I can't think of anything new she had today. Thanks

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

According to everything I have read- DH only presents in adults. Maybe it can happen. Who knows? That's just what the books say.

BUT- to answer your question- YES- I had a DH episode after having my first son. I had no idea at the time what it was. I had it for a few months and then it went away without going gluten free. It came back after I had my second son.

Good luck figuring it out!

DH positive skin biopsy June 2007

Blood test positive July 2007

Gluten Free- since 6-23-07

Vegetarian since 1991

Stay-at-home Mommy to:

Kellen 2-05

Cameron 10-06

Scarlett 5-09

Sorry- I didn't read your post well enough. DH generally lasts for at least a few days. It sounds like an allergic reaction.

DH positive skin biopsy June 2007

Blood test positive July 2007

Gluten Free- since 6-23-07

Vegetarian since 1991

Stay-at-home Mommy to:

Kellen 2-05

Cameron 10-06

Scarlett 5-09

According to everything I have read- DH only presents in adults. Maybe it can happen. Who knows? That's just what the books say.

I wonder what books these are? I had DH from the age of 6, I was covered in blisters over both arms and legs and eventually it covered every area of my body. It can most certainly show up in children and even in infants.

Stolly-

The speed with which the breakout resolves is variable even with the same person. I have had blisters that stayed for months pregluten free but now they appear and are gone within a day or two. This is because the antibodies have pretty much left my dermal layer at this point. So yes the reaction can vary and also the areas that the breakout appear.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)