This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ordering Gf Beer

DoctorDave

DoctorDave Newbie

Hey all, I'm just wondering if anyone has been able to order any gluten-free beer. I've emailed several places (greens gluten-free beer, Bardsbeer, la massagere (sp?), etc). Bardsbeer is only a distributer in states that i'm not living in. I live in michigan. I'm content w/ my rum and cokes, but would love to have a beer. Let me know

Thanks

Dave

Gluten free since 2 years old......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kdskaggs Newbie

Hi,

My daughter is 12 and obviously doesn't drink beer but on the list of foods to avoid from our doctor is caramel color which is in coke. Do you tolerate caramel color?

Thank you.

Kenda

lovegrov Collaborator

Caramel color is one of those celiac urban legends. It's either always gluten-free or 99 percent so. And Coke and Pepsi are definitely gluten-free.

richard

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Isn't that only for America?

kdskaggs Newbie

Thank you, Richard. It's good to know these things. She rarely drinks pop but it's nice to know that I don't have to refuse her on the rare occasions she asks for it.

Kenda :)

celiacfreeman Contributor

I would love to order beer as well. Used to live in Michigan in Virginia

now. The Rampa vally can be ordered but does not taste like beer.

Let me know if you find anything PLEASE

Sharon C. Explorer

I read somewhere that Heineken is gluten-free. IS that just a rumour, or is it true? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tedinmich Newbie

La Messagere will not ship to the US, however, you can buy it in Canada at the LCB, (Liquor Control Board) It's better than Ramapo, but its not Budweiser.

Give it a shot. It's 5 minutes from the Windsor Tunnel

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Coke from a Soda gun gives me a reaction. I have heard there is wheat in the the soda syrup, but not the bottles.

Rampo Beer was pretty good (I havent had beer for 8 years, so what do I care?)

Sterndogg Apprentice

I've ordered the Ramapo Valley Honey Lager before and it was ok. It tasted like Mead and at the time was really sweet and not like a lager at all! I guess I was expecting too much! I've switched to Hard Ciders like Strongbow and ofcourse wine and hard alcohol but there's nothing like an ice cold brew! I'm waiting for Bard's beer to make an entrance to Boston, MA...I'm hoping only a matter of time. The Italian gluten-free brew Bi-Aglut is produced by Heineken Italia and labeled under the Heinz label but only available in Europe. It is fantastic though and very similiar to Heineken! The Heineken/Amstel Light deal is somewhat vague...the company seems to update their website every couple of months on the status that the beer is gluten-free. I've had a few Amstel's and Heineken's and felt great afterwards with zero problems but I guess you could say it's still risky. I'm pretty sensitive but until there is an "official" consensus I plan on avoiding as much as possible. If you're ever in NYC there are a few stores that are now selling the Bard's Beer.

Best,

Adam

Deby Apprentice

I will carry Bardsbeer at all Deby's Gluten Free Bakery Stores. I hope it is really as good as reported. I've never been a beer drinker, so I'm not a good judge.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I've had a strong reaction to Amstel Light.

Greetings, Stef

Boojca Apprentice

All the "myth" about Budweiser, Heineken, Sapporo, etc...being gluten-free are totally, completely false. The only gluten-free beers are the ones listed in the beginning post on this thread (and maybe som others, but they are specifically gluten-free not commercial) Some of those companies claim that threw their process the gluten is filtered out. This is not possible. The reason they say their beer passes the "gluten test" is bc the test they run only looks for wheat gluten, which is not what beer is made with. It's made with Barley gluten. So, there's the answer to that question. Sorry for ruining anyone's day.

As for Caramel Color, I've heard that caramel color manufactured in the USA does not come from barley, but any manufactured outside of the US may be made with barley. Which isn't helpful, as companies can import caramel color to use in US made products. Sigh. However, Coca Cola and a number of their products are gluten-free. I, too, have a reaction to fountain coke but I'm not celiac disease (my son is) so I'm not sure what that's all about!

Bridget

• 11 months later...
Bakholt Newbie
I read somewhere that Heineken is gluten-free. IS that just a rumour, or is it true? Thanks.

If it's not confirmed directly by Heineken consider it a rumour. As far as I know only Carlsberg has officially confirmed that some of their beers is gluten-free. Carlsberg Pilsner and Carlsberg Export is gluten-free but it can differ from region to region.

To be absolutely sure you should contact your local Carlsberg office. I did and the beers for the Nordic markets is gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

Btw Corona is gluten-free (made of corn)

frenchiemama Collaborator

There is now a gluten free beer called New Grist that is brewed by the Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, WI. I called there and they were very helpful about getting me in contact with the local distributer and now I can buy New Grist at my local store. Depending on where in Michigan you live, it might be fairly easy to get.

elonwy Enthusiast

I'm fascinated and skeptical about the Corona comment. Where did you get that information from?

I drove across town to buy a six-pack of Ramapo Valley beer from the local Bevmo. It's pretty good. It sweet, but not really sweet, though it has a hint of cinnamon on the first sip, and its a little more carbonated than your average beer. I passed out shots of it to the boys in the house and they confirmed that it tasted like beer and thought it was pretty good. I like it, it makes me happy that I have something for the superbowl.

I had a disastrous experience with Bards Beer a while back, I got some of a bad batch and it was foul and disgusting and then I gave some to Tiffany and it exploded in her kitchen so I am loath to mail order gluten-free beer now.

My Whole Foods may start carrying Grist next month, I look forward to it.

Elonwy

kathy1 Contributor

I am eager to hear more about the Corona beer being gluten free. Does anyone know more about this??

teebs in WV Apprentice

I absolutely LOVE beer and have not had any since being dx wtih DH in October. Obvsiously, when I saw the comment on this thread that Corona is made from corn and gluten-free, I was starting to get really excited. So, I thought I would check out their website, and it explicitly states that Corona Extra is made with:

What are the ingredients in Corona Extra?

Corona Extra is made with all natural ingredients, water, barley, hops and yeast.

The above is a direct copy from their website.

Where did you hear that Corona is gluten-free? From what I just saw, it definitely is not.

Margo Newbie
Where did you hear that Corona is gluten-free? From what I just saw, it definitely is not.

I just emailed them, I'll post a reply when I get one.

hlm34 Apprentice

I have a bunch of New Grist in my fridge. Awful name, but great beer. a cross between a cider and a regular beer in my opinion. soooo good. i believe on their website it says you can get it in Michigan.

killernj13 Enthusiast
I will carry Bardsbeer at all Deby's Gluten Free Bakery Stores. I hope it is really as good as reported. I've never been a beer drinker, so I'm not a good judge.

You state you will be carrying Bards Beer. Have you been in contact with Bards Beer recently? Its seemed around 6 months ago they had a brewing issues and stop production. It is rumored here that they have gone out of business. Just wondering if you have heard anything from them since you are a retailer.

Thanks,

Kevin

If it's not confirmed directly by Heineken consider it a rumour. As far as I know only Carlsberg has officially confirmed that some of their beers is gluten-free. Carlsberg Pilsner and Carlsberg Export is gluten-free but it can differ from region to region.

To be absolutely sure you should contact your local Carlsberg office. I did and the beers for the Nordic markets is gluten-free. Open Original Shared Link

Btw Corona is gluten-free (made of corn)

I doubt Carlsberg is gluten-free and Corona is not gluten-free.

Here is the response from the Corona webite's FAQ's"

What are the ingredients in Corona Extra?

Corona Extra is made with all natural ingredients, water, barley, hops and yeast.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Always check with the company before spreading information like this on this board.

AMSTEL, HEINEKEN, CORONA, SAPPORO and CARLSBERG are ALL made with barley in the process.

Beer is not distilled - it is fermented and filtered -- this process does not remove the gluten.

DO NOT DRINK THESE BEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

killernj13 Enthusiast
I'm fascinated and skeptical about the Corona comment. Where did you get that information from?

I drove across town to buy a six-pack of Ramapo Valley beer from the local Bevmo. It's pretty good. It sweet, but not really sweet, though it has a hint of cinnamon on the first sip, and its a little more carbonated than your average beer. I passed out shots of it to the boys in the house and they confirmed that it tasted like beer and thought it was pretty good. I like it, it makes me happy that I have something for the superbowl.

I had a disastrous experience with Bards Beer a while back, I got some of a bad batch and it was foul and disgusting and then I gave some to Tiffany and it exploded in her kitchen so I am loath to mail order gluten-free beer now.

My Whole Foods may start carrying Grist next month, I look forward to it.

Elonwy

What Wole Foods are you referring to? I used to get Bard's Beer at the Whole Foods in Manhattan but they have not had it in months.

Thanks

ianm Apprentice

I think Whole Foods is going to start carrying at least one gluten free beer for the whole chain. They wouldn't tell me the brand but others have mentioned Grist.

Margo Newbie
Dear Margo:

Thank you for your recent email message. Heineken USA has been informed by our parent company, Heineken NV, that beer contains gluten, which comes from the grain from which it is brewed. Only a fraction of the gluten that the grain contains gets into the beer. The proportion depends on the kind of grain that is used. The use of barley results only in traces of gluten in the beer while wheat contributes considerably more. It also depends on the brewing process. Generally speaking, the clearer and blonder the beer is, the less gluten it may contain. In many cases lager beers pose no problem for people who have a gluten allergy.

Heineken products contain low gluten levels and this is due to the filtration process.

Thank you for your interest in Heineken USA.

Kind Regards,

Linda

Heineken USA

And there we have it.

Archived