Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

angie315

Accidental Gluten...symptoms?

I am new to this and have a question about symptoms a child can have from accidently getting gluten. My daugher spent the night at her grandparents Friday night and I was told she woke up twice during the night to throw up. My mother said she was very careful but I think she got some gluten somewhere. This has been our first experience like this since we went gluten free two months ago. Now 5 days later she awoke last night with severe "growing pains". Can this still be a symptom of her gluten accident on friday or is this a potentially new exposure? She hasn't had her leg cramps since we went gluten free.

She never had GI symptoms prior to her diagnosis (just was very underweight). Does vomiting and diahrea always the result of being glutened? Does the symptoms of an accident worsen the longer you have been gluten free? Should we expect more severe symptoms the longer she is off gluten when she gets accidently exposed? Also, how long does syptoms last after an accident?

Sorry so many questions!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am new to this and have a question about symptoms a child can have from accidently getting gluten. My daugher spent the night at her grandparents Friday night and I was told she woke up twice during the night to throw up. My mother said she was very careful but I think she got some gluten somewhere. This has been our first experience like this since we went gluten free two months ago. Now 5 days later she awoke last night with severe "growing pains". Can this still be a symptom of her gluten accident on friday or is this a potentially new exposure? She hasn't had her leg cramps since we went gluten free.

She never had GI symptoms prior to her diagnosis (just was very underweight). Does vomiting and diahrea always the result of being glutened? Does the symptoms of an accident worsen the longer you have been gluten free? Should we expect more severe symptoms the longer she is off gluten when she gets accidently exposed? Also, how long does syptoms last after an accident?

Sorry so many questions!!

Yes, the vomiting and the 'growing pains' can both be from the gluten exposure. Symptoms after being glutened can persist for up to two weeks.

And yes, symptoms can definitely change and also be worse from accidental gluten exposure after being gluten-free for a while.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to echo Ursa.

My immediate symptoms or severe, throbbing headache and nausea. The headache, depending on how much gluten I ingest, can last for 2-3 days. The nausea, for days or sometimes a week. I was getting over one episode, when I got glutened again by a digestive enzyme... Thankfully I think the amount was so small the headache and nausea didn't last long, but my stomach stayed touchy for a few days.

And I do believe the longer I am gluten free, the more sensitive I get to it. When I first glutened myself purposely, I didn't really get much of a reaction. But, I remembered why I went gluten-free in the first place and stuck with it. These last times have just really been awful.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09