This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Has ? About Back Pain

dazdnconfuzd

dazdnconfuzd Newbie

Does anybody experience lower back pain that I can only describe as feeling like,a kidney infection,or intestinal flu or back labor during child birth? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

Yes, the pain was debilitating until I started taking a sublingual methylcobalamin (B12) and magnesium. Although I think both helped, I believe the magnesium did the most.

dazdnconfuzd Newbie

Thanks, I think I'll Try that! I'll try just about anything at this point. Do You think it is associated with the Celiac?

RiceGuy Collaborator
Thanks, I think I'll Try that! I'll try just about anything at this point. Do You think it is associated with the Celiac?

Yes, I do think it is a direct result of the intestinal damage, as that's what causes the nutrient deficiencies despite healthy eating habits.

brendygirl Community Regular

Back and leg pain were my main symptoms. Same with my dad. For example, my back pain was AWFUL in airplanes. Now that I don't eat the PRETZELS they give out, I have NO back pain. What a relief!

They almost operated on my dad's back, but he got a second opinion who knew it wasn't his back and did tests which led them to find out about the wheat.

My dad is heavy and a trucker so back pain was something the docs and everybody associated with those reasons...he went undiagnosed for 20 years.

In my mid-20s, when I started getting the same back pain and carrying pepto everywhere- I knew I had whatever my undiagnosed dad had- but I wasn't fat or a trucker- I was a fit aerobics instructor (who'd been doing zillions of ab crunches since age 8 "so I wouldn't get a bad back like my dad" my mom would tell me) and all my ignorant doctor said about my back pain was to sit up straight and do more situps and for my stomach issues he said I was lactose intolerant.

It didn't make any sense. Finally, my dad got dx and that's when I knew what I had, too.

At my celiac support group, all of the members have completely different symptoms. Some people have no symptoms except for fatigue!! They don't even know when they ingest gluten!

Krystens mummy Enthusiast
Does anybody experience lower back pain that I can only describe as feeling like,a kidney infection,or intestinal flu or back labor during child birth? Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Oh my god! I am so glad someone else has this issue. I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease but my 16 month old daughter has some pretty bad symptoms when she eats it and practically almost everyone on my dads side has it.

About three months ago I went to the doctor about what I thought was period pain in my lower back or pre labour pain as I described it. After a while it went to what I thought was mt kidneys sometimes on one side sometimes on both sometimes right in the middle. The doc gave me pills and sent me on my way.

I get symptomatic once every couple of weeks and the pain comes back along with abdo bloating and gut symptoms tenderness etc but NO DIARRHOEA? I thought I was overreacting! I think now I will go to the GI appointment!

dazdnconfuzd Newbie

I left work early to go to the Dr. because my back hurt so bad and my stomach. I left with, "the catch all diagnosis" of IBS and an ulser. Dr. says take Zantac and eat fiber. The only good out of it (hopefully) Is a referral to a GI. My Appt. is June 5th. Here's what doesn't make sense, all week I was in pain and today I feel great (without taking any Zantac)!!!! Anyway, I also thought I was over reacting. It's soooo good to here all of your confirmations that it's not normal to be in pain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Krystens mummy Enthusiast
I left work early to go to the Dr. because my back hurt so bad and my stomach. I left with, "the catch all diagnosis" of IBS and an ulser. Dr. says take Zantac and eat fiber. The only good out of it (hopefully) Is a referral to a GI. My Appt. is June 5th. Here's what doesn't make sense, all week I was in pain and today I feel great (without taking any Zantac)!!!! Anyway, I also thought I was over reacting. It's soooo good to here all of your confirmations that it's not normal to be in pain.

Great isn't it? <_< The doc told me probably nothing to worry about it's probably a touch of IBS! Must be the diagnosis of the month! :angry: Well I did get a GI appointment out of it though but have to wait until june 18 for mine I got the appointment four weeks ago.

I am worried that because of the negative blood tests that the biopsy will be negative. I am doing this for me but also for my daughter. If my test is positive they may listen when it comes to her, her symptoms are quite bad when she eats it.

They don't care when I tell them that celiac disease is in the family because if the tests are neg then you don't have it.

I need to find a female doctor who has children who can understand what early labor pain feels like. I don't think men have a clue :D:rolleyes:

Archived