Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huevo_no_bueno

Tomato = Baking Blooper Of The Week.

I made my most acceptable gluten-free, egg-free bread recipe with pureed canned tomatoes as the liquid instead of the usual combination of cow or coconut milk and water. It was a major failure. The crust hardened but all the way to the outermost 16th of an inch, but the inside remained pudding- or batter-like even after baking for an hour and a half. :blink: The normal baking time for this recipe is one hour. I have successfully varied the flour combination in the past when making this bread. It relies on flaxmeal for binding and baking soda/baking powder for leavening.

Is there something I don't know about tomatoes? Are they too acidic or something?

Positive IgA-gluten in 2004

Positive IgG-gluten in 2008

Gluten intolerance

Egg allergy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I made my most acceptable gluten-free, egg-free bread recipe with pureed canned tomatoes as the liquid instead of the usual combination of cow or coconut milk and water. It was a major failure. The crust hardened but all the way to the outermost 16th of an inch, but the inside remained pudding- or batter-like even after baking for an hour and a half. :blink: The normal baking time for this recipe is one hour. I have successfully varied the flour combination in the past when making this bread. It relies on flaxmeal for binding and baking soda/baking powder for leavening.

Is there something I don't know about tomatoes? Are they too acidic or something?

Um, yeah..... tomato no bueno..... I wouldn't even try applesauce, just plain fluids is best.

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill