This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Breakfast Ideas -- Gfcfsf

Greeneyes4950

Greeneyes4950 Apprentice

I really need help finding something to eat for breakfast -- i'm gfcfsf, and a vegetarian.

The things about breakfasts for me is that i always try to eat something with protein, which has meant lately a larabar(s) and fruit. But i'm really not sure about liking this constant consuming of larabars -- plus at 1.50 a piece they are a little expensive. And if i have them in the house i tend to eat them at other times in the day too.

I ran into someone from my gym, and my food intolerances/allergies came up as usual i got the whole

"what do you eat" -- it amuses me because that's what everyone says.

When i told him i am also a vegetarian he said "but where are you getting protein?"

Thinking about it, i'm wondering the same thing. I try to eat enough nuts and beans. But how much nuts can one eat? PLus i think all of these nuts are counter-acting the whole going to the gym.

I thought about it and decided i would add chicken back into my diet.

But what to do about breakfast. It's either make extra dinner and put it aside for the morning ....or?

I know some food companies make some products matching my needs, bagals (enjoy foods) and some foodsbygeorge stuff. But none of the supermakets carries the breakfast stuff that they sell. And ordering it off line (being frozen) is pretty expensive. And i don't have the time to make the stuff myself.

I would welcome any suggestions, much thanks!

p.s. i don't like eggs!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

frec Contributor

I'm having the same problem--gfdfsf and not much time to cook. I ate rice bread toast and peanut butter for years, but lately I've been making shakes out of rice or almond milk with fruit (usually a banana), a dollop of peanut butter, and a sprinkling of protein powder--at first rice protein but now I am trying hemp, just to get more variety in my nutrition. I eat so many nuts and so much rice. I tried hemp milk but it is very odd tasting. I've been surprised at how well the shake keeps me going in the morning.

Every few months I make a big batch of gfdfsf pancakes and freeze them so I can have pancakes on the weekend as a big treat. I can't eat those lovely frozen ones from Trader Joe's anymore because they have soy.

Rice Chex are gluten free now (unless you get some old stock) and good for when I'm in a hurry (and missing carbs) but not much protein there.

I'll be following any additions to this as I could really use some other ideas too.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I really need help finding something to eat for breakfast -- i'm gfcfsf, and a vegetarian.

I would welcome any suggestions, much thanks!

p.s. i don't like eggs!

Hi 'Greeneyes4950',

try making these wraps and use the suggested filling

(but omit the bacon or sub with chicken and use a dairyfree cheese)

also try the sweet version of filling.

Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

Mom23boys Contributor
I thought about it and decided i would add chicken back into my diet.

Our household loves chicken for b'fast. I will get the presliced chicken tenders (just plain chicken, no breading or anything) and grill those on a George Foreman grill. I will vary the seasoning - lemon juice one day - salt and pepper - Italian spices - Mexican spices - whatever. Have those with just about anything else you want.

AMQmom Explorer

Do you cook with eggs? If so, we take tapioca bread and dip it in egg that has been whisked well with a little cinnamon and nutmeg and then cook them over the stove in a pan (using coconut oil or some butter/margarine product that you can tolerate) and it comes out like French Toast. My 7 year old has many severe allergies and she likes this for breakfast. She tops with honey, but you could use fruit preserves, etc.

I also found an Amaranth cereal online that can be served warm with fruit juice or cold with a milk substitute or milk (like DariFree). It's ingredients are listed as whole grain organic amaranth, evaporated cane juice, cinnamon (that doesn't help with your protein, though). The cereal is by Nu-World Foods.

Hope this helps a little bit.....

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm gfsfcf and about 98.9% vegetarian LOL

Take about a half hour once per week to make some high protein muffins with flax, nuts, fruit etc. Freeze them and eat them for breakfast for the entire week.

You could do smoothies with hemp protein powder. I often eat brown rice and lentils for breakfast (lentils form a complete protein when combined with rice).

Quinoa is high in protein. You could do quinoa flakes with almonds and rice, hemp or almond milk. Buckwheat is good as well. I like buckwheat with rice milk, honey, raisins and cinnamon.

You can make your own protein bars with Perky's nutty hemp, peanut butter...hmmm i don't remember how to make them but there is a recipe on the back of the Perky's box.

For breakfast this morning I ate a banana with peanut butter, a nectarine and an orange, but I guess that's not too high in protein..

Just remember not to limit yourself to "breakfast" foods. You can eat anything for breakfast as long as it tastes good to you.

ShayFL Enthusiast

Breakfast is my biggest "beef".

But I have found "Lydia's Granolas" and absolutely love them. I make my own almond or hazelnut milk and I have been noshing on this for over a week now and still look forward to them. You can use store bought milks if you dont have time to "make" stuff.

Lydia's is gluten free, corn free, soy free and yummy!

I make pumpkin muffins and eat leftovers the next few mornings. I put eggs in the muffins, so you wouldnt taste the eggs and they add protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

feelingbetter Rookie

My Smoothie Recipe

1 banana

8 or so frozen strawberries

1 or 2 tblsp ground flaxseed

1 tsp flaxseed oil

1 scoop brown rice protein powder

1 cup water or rice milk

This holds me all morning and is very healing for the colon. You can play around with the ingredients. I love these. I started making these when I gave up all grains.

ShayFL Enthusiast

That rice protein powder tears me up. Rice doesnt, but the powder does. Ditto for Cocunut powder. Hemp powder sits well with me. You have to experiment with the proteins till you find one that works for you.

tarnalberry Community Regular

my most common breakfasts (that don't include eggs):

quinoa flakes w/ flax meal and fruit spread (for flavor/sweetness), made with water

quinoa flakes w/ almond meal w/ agave or honey and cinnamon made with almond or soy milk

rice cakes (Lundberg farms) and peanut butter

fruit smoothie (I don't even use a milk sub most of the time) made with whole fruits and rice or hemp protein

leftovers! :)

Phyllis28 Apprentice

How about some form of already cooked beans for breakfast? An example would by refried beans heated in a corn tortilla. Anything that is gluten free is fair game for any meal in my household. Eggs for dinner or chili for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...
Tori's GFCF Blog Newbie

Hi there. This is my first post here. I just wanted to mention that I have a GFCFSF blog with some breakfast ideas. They are targeted to kids, but maybe they will give you some ideas?

Take care,

Tori

missy'smom Collaborator

I like Lydia's granola too. Also eat Bob's Red Mill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. Sandwiches work well for breakfast. We often have apple crisp with oats and in the topping and little or no sugar in the fruit part. I use my old pre-gluten-free recipe and use 1/2 sorghum flour and half Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour and a combo of Earth Balance and Spectrum Shortening. But Earthbalance has soy so you could use all Spectrum.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I can't eat any grains, so my breakfast is very limited. I also do not eat eggs, no nightshades, and no red meats.

For breakfast, I alternate between an apple sliced up with peanut butter (very good source of protein) and cheese on one day, another day I have cottage cheese (which is another good source of protein) with fruit stirred in, then another day I will have grapefruit!

When I finally gave in and gave up my rice cakes, I started to feel better. I know that I was not being glutened by them, I just can not tolerate grains anymore.

tipnpat Newbie

I avoid eggs, dairy, gluten, and soy. I have trouble getting protein at breakfast too. I usually stick to a banana and a handful of almonds or mixed berries and trail mix of some kind. I don't eat any grains either mainly because I seem to keep my weight off that way. Cutting out grains really helped with food cravings and keeps my appetite normal.

Jestgar Rising Star

Not normal breakfast food, but I have a stir fry most mornings. For protein I use (eggs) shrimp or fish. Everything is frozen so I put it in a pan on low heat, take my shower, then come out and finish the cooking.

Greeneyes4950 Apprentice
Hi there. This is my first post here. I just wanted to mention that I have a GFCFSF blog with some breakfast ideas. They are targeted to kids, but maybe they will give you some ideas?

Take care,

Tori

I've actually been on your blog, i found it when i googled gfcfsf!

I've been gfcfsf for about a year since diagnosis, and i'm still getting used to it. I have to say that you are very creative in coming up with variations of "normal foods" -- your kids are quite lucky!

To everyone else -- Thanks for all the suggestions guys, it's been most helpful!

Archived