This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Inpute Required: Time To Recover

roddi

roddi Rookie

Hey everyone, I am curious as to your thoughts/knowledge on this.

When you ingest gluten, and you do damage to your intestines... let's say we rate this on a scale of 1-10

10 being you're at your best

1 being horrible feeling

say i ingest gluten, .. and i feel like a #4.. the next few days, i assume i work up from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 etc?

Meaning.. if i was feeling tip top for 2 weeks, ate gluten... will i feel horrible for days?

I ate this darn Stagg Classic Chili .. it said no gluten.. ive been ill for 3 days off and on.. the week before life was FABULOUS.. so im wondering.. gee, do i have to do that road to recovery again where i slowly take time to heal and get back to normal..

your thoughts...

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

When I have gluten the worst day for me is usually the 7th day after.

A few weeks ago I by accident had something I thought was ok but turned out not to be. Before I had it I was feeling perfect ...I felt it my body react to the gluten almost instantly so I stopped eating it. The days after I proceeded to get worse. Some people have reactions worse then others.

The longer I am off of gluten the more I notice I have a stronger reaction to it whenever I have it.

I don't know how your body reacts to gluten so it could be different but my experience is I start feeling better after about a week to a week and a half with the 7th day being the worst.

When I have gluten ..the days following are usually on again off again nausea.

Also, do you take enzymes? Enzymes are very good to help your body absorb and digest food. Enzymes can help with nausea and stomach problems to.

Hope you feel better and if I can help you at all I'd be glad to help:)

roddi Rookie

thanks so much. im baffled how 7 days after eating gluten, that day, the 7th is the worst, i figured the day after would be.. oh well..

im more upset at trying to figure out what i ate..

btw.. do spicy foods generally not work well with you.. curious

thanks for your reply!

rob

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Spicy food is usually fine with me when I take enzymes to help digest the food. I haven't tried eating anything without the enzymes since I found out how much better I feel after eating with taking them.

Could there have been something that could have been cross contaminated?

Or do you use any shampoos, or something that would have gluten in it? If you do get things like that on your hands then pick up food and eat it you could be getting trace amounts of gluten in your system.

Have you noticed if you get sick after spicy foods or anything else in particular? The best thing to do even if it says gluten-free is to listen to your body.

If you aren't on enzymes I highly recommend them...I know a great gluten-free brand if you need a recommendation.

Again, if I can be of any more help let me know:)

cmom Contributor

I would be interested in knowing the brand of enzymes. I have never used them but think they might help. Also, what dosage do you take? Thanks.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Enzymatic Therapy is the brand...the have everything they are free of written right on their products(they are gluten-free) I get mine at the Vitamin Shoppe but you can get them at health food stores too I think. I usually take 2 right before I eat. If I get feeling bad at all I usually take 2 extra. You can take them anytime you feel like you need to and with my experience I feel better very quick. There is no limit on how many you can have. They are called Completegest (by enzymatic therapy) and are very small capsules. I have no problem swallowing them and I am not a good pill swallower but these are small and no problem.

Hope this helps for you as it does for me:) If you need more info let me know and I'd be happy to give you more info.

rmmadden Contributor

Interesting to hear how long it takes to feel well again after ingesting gluten. I am a new celiac disease patient and am frustrated in how long it takes me to feel better. I have started a food log and been reading the labels of everything including my shampoo, deodorant, etc. and It takes me days to get over a gluten attack. I was under the assumption that the recovery time would be a few days after getting "Glutened" so I guess your info tells me that I must be more patient in my expectations

I do take enzymes (Proactazyme Plus from Nature's Sunshine which I double checked with the company to make sure they are gluten-free) and they do help you digest your food better (and absorb the nutrients).

Thanks for your input!

Cleveland Bob :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mela14 Enthusiast

I usually start to feel sick right away...within the hour. Then the gut gets progessively worse. About 4 or 5 hours later iit is totally sour, sore and distended...Sometimes the headache and body pains start too. It usually takes about 3-4 days for everything to simmer down.

I haven't started taking enzymes yet so I can't comment on that...althought I did buy them and will start when things simmer down!

Good luck!

gypsy Newbie

I usually start to feel stomach/abdominal pain and bloating within about 3 hours of gluten ingestion. I then have pain, bloating and cramping for about 3 weeks afterward. It's enough to keep me pretty vigilant about avoiding gluten!

gypsy Newbie

Nothing that I know of will stop the reaction until it runs its course in me; however, I have found that taking Pepto Bismol tablets and using a heating pad on my abdomen helps relieve the pain.

I hope you find something that helps you.

Jeap Newbie

I get to feeling bad pretty quickly. Probably within an hour or two. It usually last a few days, say 3 days.

I ate some gluten-free Taco's, mix was gluten-free, Sat a week ago and I was sick until Wed night of that week. I had a gut ache (I stopped calling them stomach aches, it's not my stomach) until Wed night. I did not eat much, only very safe stuff (baked potato) until Wed night and then I was hungry. Needless to say, I do not want any more taco meat any time soon.

I also take pepto bismol, it seems to help some. It may only help my head, but that is often a problem too.

I am interested in the enzymes. Do they have any negative side effects?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I have no known side effects of enzymes. They really do wonders for me. They help your body break down and digest the food and then absorb the food. They really help cut back on nausea and stomach and gut problems. Hope this helps :D

mela14 Enthusiast

I started Essential Enzymes last night. they didn't bother me and I think they helped a little. I may have to take 2 with dinner especially if it is something a little heavier. last night I had salmon and should have taken 2.

i did not take Zelnomr yesterday which I have bvenn on for a few months. I am trying to go more natural. If the enzymes do the trick then I won't go back on the zelnorm.

good luck!

Professor Rookie

Hi,

I just went online to look up this gluten-free chili, because we have a gluten-free home, and my family complains that they can't find gluten-free chili in the grocery store . . . I "Googled" the chili you mentioned, and the label (link below) says "modified food starch." There's your gluten. Modified food starch can include corn starch modified with wheat, etc -- lots of combinations under that heading. I know because I've called companies asking. You see it in EVERYTHING now, from some brands of yogurt to lunch meats. BEWARE.

I only buy "one-ingredient foods" so I know that there is just one thing (i.e., a piece of chicken, or some ground beef, or a tomato, etc). Then I make my own foods (including chili) from those one-ingredient foods.

Open Original Shared Link

Patty

artmeg55 Newbie

I've been diagnosed with celaic for 1 1/2 years. It seems like forever w/o real bread and I reaaly miss real desserts. As closely as I watch my diet, every once in a while something triggers my stomach and it's back to the old days of feeling sick all the time. I've had fairly bad symptoms for about 10 years, but tried to hide them. I'd be up half the night with a range of nasty symptoms and still go to work.

But it's REALLY frustrating to get sick now when I work so hard not to. The problem is that some foods take longer than others to get throught your system, so it's easy to blame the wrong item. I've pretty much sworn off anything heavily processed like lunchmeat, ham, bacon, etc. The fresher the better.

celiac3270 Collaborator

No really bad side effects-- but when I tried enzymes awhile ago (Lipram CR-10), they made me really nauseous and queasy for hours after I took them sometimes for a day or two. I stopped taking them and that stopped. I checked again to make sure and they were gluten-free. If you have bad side effects, you just stop taking them and they go away. But most people extol the power of enzymes :D

• 4 years later...
Tra cy Newbie
I've been diagnosed with celaic for 1 1/2 years. It seems like forever w/o real bread and I reaaly miss real desserts. As closely as I watch my diet, every once in a while something triggers my stomach and it's back to the old days of feeling sick all the time. I've had fairly bad symptoms for about 10 years, but tried to hide them. I'd be up half the night with a range of nasty symptoms and still go to work.

But it's REALLY frustrating to get sick now when I work so hard not to. The problem is that some foods take longer than others to get throught your system, so it's easy to blame the wrong item. I've pretty much sworn off anything heavily processed like lunchmeat, ham, bacon, etc. The fresher the better.

Attacks seem worse since eliminating if gluten gets in diet???

Does this have to do with healing? Does it take 2 years to mend???

Archived