Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dolcenotte

Best Websites To Purchase Food That's Hard To Find In Stores

What are your favorite websites to purchase hard to find food brands/items? Also, I want to try some of Schar's products. I hear they are awesome. Where can I buy them retail? Online for decent prices?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

One of the problems I am encountering (on sites such as Am a zon dot com ) is that they

now require that you buy in "bulk". You have to purchase a "case" of whatever

it is that you want. You can't just buy one or two. I can't do that. This is

too much money at one time and too much product that will get stale before it

all gets used and I have no where to stow it.

Husband has Celiac Disease and

Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -

The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis

Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,

most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as

being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."

Serious Depressive state ensued

Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003

Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.

Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle

Developed neuropathy in 2005

Now has lymphadema 2006It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

What are your favorite websites to purchase hard to find food brands/items? Also, I want to try some of Schar's products. I hear they are awesome. Where can I buy them retail? Online for decent prices?

I would never buy Schar, they use(d) CODEX standard "gluten-free" wheat starch in many of their products (or certainly did last time I checked).

So far as I'm concerned any company making gluten-free products knowingly containing gluten @<200ppm are simply not to be trusted.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Schar cookies taste like chalk. The bread is okay, but not exceptional.

In terms of ordering products, I think ordering directly from the company website is best, if possible. It's usually cheaper that way, but if you can't find what you want, glutenfreemall.com (this website) is good too.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I have had luck at gluten free trading company- they have a dot com shopping site. Just do a search for it, it should come up right away- they are a retail store based in Milwaukee WI. Their shipping rates are reasonable and they have a lot of stock. Good luck!

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

I would never buy Schar, they use(d) CODEX standard "gluten-free" wheat starch in many of their products (or certainly did last time I checked).

So far as I'm concerned any company making gluten-free products knowingly containing gluten @<200ppm are simply not to be trusted.

Bought some Schar's pasta locally here in NJ. There is no wheat starch in either type of pasta. In reviewing many products on the company's website, they specifically state that no wheat starch is used.

Thanks for all the tips..a friend of mine's mother just left for italy and gave me all of her schar products that she had before she left because she spends half the year in italy and the items would go bad..I have yet to find these items on websites..I think it is only sold in Italy and not imported. It is the duo lunch rolls and panini burger buns.

Thanks for all the tips..a friend of mine's mother just left for italy and gave me all of her schar products that she had before she left because she spends half the year in italy and the items would go bad..I have yet to find these items on websites..I think it is only sold in Italy and not imported. It is the duo lunch rolls and panini burger buns.

Schar products are sold in a lot of places. You can get them online at www.allergygrocer.com

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates