• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Can'tEvenEatRice!

Need Some Help With Blood Test Results

Rate this topic

Hi Everyone,

I have been meaning to post this question for awhile now. I have Celiac myself and my son was first tested when he was 18 months old (I didn't realize how unreliable the tests can be for children and probably many adults as well!). I was told that his results were negative. I then tested him through Enterolab and he tested positive. I went ahead and took him off of gluten and he has been doing well since (He is now 3). He never had any major symptoms, but I was watching him very closely since I have Celiac myself. He started to have some tummy trouble, eczema, bloated belly etc. Those symptoms improved when he stopped eating gluten. Anyhow, I was going through his medical records the other day and came across his Celiac blood tests. I wanted to post them because his one Gliadin test was above the range by 1 point. I don't know if this is significant at all. Would you consider these blood results positive at all, or are they completely negative?

Thanks for your help!

IGA, Serum...........26mg/dL (24-121)

GLIADIN AB IGG................12 U/ml (<11) *This is the one I had a question about

GLIADIN AB IGA................<3 (<11)

Also, his platelet count was increased at 436 (140-400) *Not sure if that means anything, the doctor never mentioned it.

His tTG IGG AB was <3 (<7), but was run well after he had already been on the gluten free diet (the lab lost his blood the first time and did not have enough to run the whole panel--doctor said being off of gluten wouldn't matter, but I have read different opinions about that)

Thanks again!

Here is some information that may be of use to you.

First some information on the IgG antibodies:

http://www.americanceliac.org/diagnosis.htm

What are the different antibody tests available? Can there be errors in testing?

The blood tests can be divided into 2 different types of antibodies: those which are

Hi,

I found this info on the University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center website. It might help.

tipnpat

This is their website:

www.celiacdisease.net

Which is the correct Screening Test?

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG-IgA) -- A screening test is commonly used when an individual is in a risk group for Celiac Disease, whether or not he/she has symptoms. This test is usually the one offered for Celiac screening events, as it is the most sensitive test available.

Other Tests

Total Serum IgA -- This one tests for IgA deficiency, a condition which can affect the accuracy of an antibody test)

Anti-endomysial antibody test (EMA-IgA) -- EMA-IgA are very specific for Celiac Disease but they are not as sensitive as teh tTG-IgA.

HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8 gene tests -- The "gene tests" are not antibodies. They can be used to exclude Celiac Disease (if negative) in doubtful cases.

Note:

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA-IgG and AGA-IgA) are no longer used to test for Celiac Disease due to a low level of accuracy in people who have not yet been diagnosed.