Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Breila

Morning Breath In A 2 Year Old

On another thread someone questioned awful breath in their child who was suspected celiac. I commented that my 7yo, who is diagnosed celiac, had atrocious morning breath that is now subsiding on the gluten-free diet. I never considered it a symptom though, only realizing that the two may have been connected after the fact.

Now my 2 yo is getting the same kind of morning breath, the kind where you can't stand to be face to face with him until you've brushed his teeth. Should I consider this a warning sign or am I being paranoid about this? I will say that we have plans to get the blood tests for the whole family, but it is an expensive and therefore slow process. I'm just wondering if maybe I have reason to move him up on the list, so to speak. Is there a connection to bad breath?

Blessings,

Amy, mama to 3 awesome boys!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I really believe that bad breath could be a celiac disease symptom. My youngest daughter used to have such awful breath, that I could smell it when she sat in the back of the car, with me being the driver. It got much better when I made her 100% dairy free. But it completely disappeared on the gluten-free diet.

Since an older sibling had the same problem, and his/her breath is getting better on the gluten-free diet, I think you certainly have a clue why your little one has such awful breath.

Just be aware that the celiac disease testing is VERY unreliable in children under six. So, even if your two-year-old child's results return negative, that doesn't necessarily mean that the child doesn't have celiac disease. That might just mean that the damage isn't yet severe enough to have destroyed the villi to such an extent that he/she will have leaky gut and therefore antibodies in the blood.

If the blood test is negative, I would do the Enterolab testing, or just put the child on the gluten-free diet. At that age a good diet response is diagnostic (actually, it is at any age), and especially if an older sibling has been diagnosed with celiac disease already.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our dd had the same problem, it smelled like poo :huh: . I asked the dentist about it and there were 2 thoughts: 1. She's not brushing the back of her tongue well enough or 2. her tonsils are large and pocketed like mine and food is getting stuck back there so she needs to gargle with an anti-bacterial type mouthwash. (I realize this isn't going to work with a 2y/o) She started doing both, but I really think it was the mouthwash that made the difference. There's been no more issue since!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Our youngest grandson has that problem but then I have too all my life. I have always woken with a mouth like a sewage pit. It is due to toxins and infections that the body is trying to dispel via the tonsils (ever had those little 'cheesey' lumps in your mouth that smell like someone died? They come off the tonsils and are like solidified pus! That's why the tonsils should never be removed - they are the body's way of telling you something is wrong - remove them and the body has one less way of getting rid of its garbage!) - far better not to put the rubbish in your mouth in the first place!

Dropping gluten is a big start but if it gets replaced with lots of high-carb, high-sugar foods then the problem will not go away. Our eldest grandson is Celiac and on a gluten-free diet and unlike the little one LOVES fruit and veg and has rarely had a problem even before gluten-free. The little one is a carbaholic - he probably has candida which can also contribute to stinky breath.

Now my body is sorting itself out and I have radically cut the carbs, my breath is a lot more pleasant to be around, too!

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........