Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

glen4cindy

Gf Rice Crackers - Strange Label

I have been eating crackers from this package that was labeled as GLUTEN-FREE. Since discovering my intolerance to gluten, I have tried to find products that I can use to continue to enjoy some of the things I used to enjoy without the gluten. One of those items is crackers with my chili. (Not that it's important, but, I liked dipping Club Crackers into the chili).

I found a package of Cheddar Rice Crackers, and I am sorry I don't have the specific name or brand because I have already discarded the package. I purchased this at eith Whole Foods Market, or a store called The Green Earth Grocery.

I didn't notice until the third or 4th time I was eating them that the following phrase was on the package: NO ADDED WHEAT

This really shocked me becuase it is also labeled as being Gluten Free. I looked on the back of the package and there was a warning similar to the peanut warning stating that no wheat or wheat containing additives were in the crackers, but, that they were produced in a factory that also produces wheat containing products. This was prefaced by the words: "To our customers who are sensitive to wheat"

It's hard enough to shop for products that will enable us to maintain gluten free dites, but, I would never have dreamed that I would need to examine a label on a product labeled as gluten-free as carefully as I have to review other products.

Has anyone ran into this too? As far as I am concerned, these are now going to be off limits to me because I had a bad few days after eating these. I know the chili was safe because my wife has begun to prepare most of our meals with main dishes that are gluten-free to make meal prep easier.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's gluten-free and wheat-free. I know those crackers--I eat them pretty often. They're Edwards and Sons Brown Rice Snaps (cheddar). It is confusing, but I've seen a couple of products labeled that way.

I know what you mean about how much we have to look into what we are eating. Even the littles gluten bothers me. It is a pain having to wipe down counters and washing hands all the time but it's woth it. I really have a problem with companies who say their products are gluten-free yet made withnon-gluten-free items and only the people who are extremely sensitive should stay away. To me, that is not gluten-free.

I think that you will probably see this more and more, or things being labeled as gluten-free less and less. That statement was purely a CYA statement their lawyers suggested they put on to cover themselves from being sued should someone have a reaction from cross-contamination. Sigh...such is life in a sue-happy society....

Bridget

Hi folks, I was diagnosed in August 2003. Up to that point my life had been a continuous run to the bathroom. Once I stopped the gluten, my symptoms cleared up in a matter of a few days. Then, the hunt for gluten-free food began. I found those purportedly gluten-free crackers in the store (the package was covered with "Gluten Free" stickers) and for the next year and a half I relied on those things. For some odd reason, I remained symptomatic - those crackers were the LAST things I suspected. About a month ago, I quit them, and my symptoms have gone away entirely. Those idiots who put misleading labels on products should be held accountable.

Richard

Hmmm...that's disturbing...no more of those for me for awhile and maybe I'll contact the company to ask about cross contamination and how conscientious they are about keeping gluten out of their products.

I think I am reacting to these crackers too. I didn't have time for lunch yesterday, so I grabbed a handful of the gluten-free vegetable crackers. They taste great. But, within about an hour (my typical reaction time), I stated having symptoms of having eaten gluten. I felt fine prior to eating them and they are they only thing I ate, so I guess I'll scratch them from my list for a while. They are the Edward and Sons brand mentioned above.

Susan